Fish Quiz

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Apart from having an extra 'tl' too many, it's not even a fish...its a squidy octopus thingy!

fm1978 said:
Apart from having an extra 'tl' too many, it's not even a fish...its a squidy octopus thingy!

Scientifically, a mollusk.  ;)  You go.

Yes, one of those things! I almost said cephalopod but I didn't know how to spell it...

How might one go about aging a fish?

fm1978 said:
Yes, one of those things! I almost said cephalopod but I didn't know how to spell it...

Cut it in half and count the rings.

Give the fish a real shock, it'll age instantly.....

eaglesaquarium said:

Cut it in half and count the rings.

Not sure if you're being funny (like me) or you're serious...but that's very close!
Ch4rlie said:
Give the fish a real shock, it'll age instantly.....
For shame, Ch4arlie, for shame... :)

fish dont grow new scales as they grow and as such their scales stretch giving age lines. i think :S

from Delaware.gov:

" Scales show the history of the fish in a fashion similar to the rings of a tree. Scales get 
larger as the fish grows by adding to the outside edge. Because fish are cold-blooded and 
grow very little during winter, a thicker ring is formed, giving a year mark. Therefore, 
biologists can use scales to determine the age of many fish species. "

That's right Norton, you got there first, well done!

Yay I got one correct before I go bed then. When was the first public aquarium opened in the UK?

This fish is mainly found on the eastern seaboard of the United States and into the Gulf of Mexico and the Brazilian Coast.    

It has front teeth that almost look like human teeth and also rows of molars behind the front teeth.   It has several black verticle  bars on its body.  They can grow to around 90 cm long and can weigh over 9 kg.   They are known to be able to crush the shells of clams, crabs and oyster with their powerful jaws.  Name this interesting fish.

Here he is smiling for the camera.  Say cheese!
sheepshead2-vi.jpg

Most reactions

Back