Water changes causing fish deaths

I don’t dose daily. It would cost a fortune. Just dose at water change.
I have seen where aeration is recommended for pH stability. If the acid buffer is converting the carbonate into CO2, the plants would consume the CO2 or it would dissipate, and that could cause the alkaline buffer to pull the pH back up.
Your problem certainly makes a case for CO2 injection, which is a good thing for having a planted tank. I used CO2 injection in the distant past, and it really made a difference in the growth and health of the plants.

I have seen where aeration is recommended for pH stability. If the acid buffer is converting the carbonate into CO2, the plants would consume the CO2 or it would dissipate, and that could cause the alkaline buffer to pull the pH back up.
Your problem certainly makes a case for CO2 injection, which is a good thing for having a planted tank. I used CO2 injection in the distant past, and it really made a difference in the growth and health of the plants.
Well I’m going to dose a lot less and see if it helps as well. As Colin said too, I’m keeping soft water fish and may not need the kh up so would like to balance the ph lower. Main reason is at 8 I have no way to safely introduce fish into the tank when buy them. Local shop has a 7 ph and don’t want more stress on the fish once introduced. So it’s a multi issue fix.

CO2 is up and running. Starting 1 bubble a second. Will increase slowly over a few weeks until my drop checker shows correct.

Attachments

• IMG_0784.jpeg
    IMG_0784.jpeg
    195.6 KB · Views: 12
When I did CO2 injection, I used a pH meter that would shut off the CO2 in the event of too much CO2 in the water column.

Attachments

• 20240525_103826.jpg
    20240525_103826.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 16
  • 20240525_103851.jpg
    20240525_103851.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 13

Most reactions

Back