FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

how'd you find that so quick--yes it's a sheephead

humanteethfish-vi.png

Next question please:

Let's Get Ready To Rumble.........
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6eQ78HCGEA

In sea anemones.

Its said that java fern cannot be planted in the substrate.  That's not exactly true.  What part of a java fern can't be planted in the substrate?

Yeah ^^ I don't think the leaves would be entirely happy either :)

Ch4rlie said:

Correct.

DreamertK said:
The leaf portion.
tongue2.gif

daizeUK said:
Yeah ^^ I don't think the leaves would be entirely happy either
smile.png

Silly people.  No one buries an entire plant and expects it to grow. 
tongue2.gif

(But, I'd suggest that if one were to bury ONLY the leaves, it would not kill the plant and new leaves would grow from the rhizome.)

Whoo 
winner.gif

Here's my question.

What are the main potential dangers in aquarium water if you add rocks that contains iron pyrite (fools gold) ?

There basically is 3 main potential problems this can cause, however I'll accept 2 out of 3 ;)

it can add too much iron to the tank and can change the ph

Fishmanic said:
it can add too much iron to the tank and can change the ph

That is what am looking for. Nice one FM.

The 3 main dangers of Pyrite in tank are basically 

1. It has a strong acidifying effect, i.e. it drops the pH.

2. In addition to iron it sometimes contains small quantities of other more dangerous heavy metals such as lead, zinc, and copper. 

3. Because it acidifies the water it can 'unlock' heavy metals into their toxic free-ionic forms.

You're Up :lol:

I have a 30 gallon bare bottom tank with no decor.   I wish to raise the kh of the water from the present level of 2 to a level of 10.  I wish to use Seachem Alkaline Buffer to reach this goal.   How many teaspoons of the buffer should I add to reach the desired level?

None, because it will also raise the pH and you did not indicate that was one of the goals. Raising pH and holding it requires KH.

To increase pH, use 1 teaspoon (7g) for every 80 L (20 gallons) daily until desired pH is reached (this dose raises alkalinity by about 1 meq/L (2.8 dKH))
In order to adjust pH gradually, use Alkaline Buffer™ with Acid Buffer™.

To raise both GH and KH simultaneously, add calcium carbonate (CaCO3). 1/2 teaspoon per 100 liters of water will increase both the KH and GH by about 1-2 dH. Alternatively, add some sea shells, coral, limestone, marble chips, etc. to your filter.

Most reactions

Back