Dijon Has Spawned

amazing :good:

with breeding, i am slightly confused, i have read of people buying a pair of siblings for breeding. surely this will cause problems with interbreeding?

with breeding, i am slightly confused, i have read of people buying a pair of siblings for breeding. surely this will cause problems with interbreeding?

Bettas, as with quite a few other fish can be interbreed to produce more *stronger* related lines :)

Oh and to the OP: you can get Vinegar Eel from Ebay :)

Bettas, as with quite a few other fish can be interbreed to produce more *stronger* related lines :)

Oh and to the OP: you can get Vinegar Eel from Ebay :)

I did a search on e-bay,could find anything. Not to worry BigC sells them :good:

These fish arnt related.

These fish arnt related.

oh no i wasnt accusing you of that, i wondered if you knew as you had sucessfully bred

Sorry if my answer was a bit abrupt, and I didn't mean it to sound off hand either.

As betta 246 stated, breeders interbreed not only siblings but father and daugther, mother and son, Grandad and granddaughter, so to speak. To produce certain colours and finage.

Sucessfully bred, not by a long shot. It's my first ever try at breeding bettas, and their first go. So me and the fry are on undiscovered teritory at the moment :unsure: :)

thats very exciting for you. those fry look great! youre doing a great job with them :)
best of luck and keep the updates comming :hyper:
cheers

These fish arnt related.

oh no i wasnt accusing you of that, i wondered if you knew as you had sucessfully bred

Sorry if my answer was a bit abrupt, and I didn't mean it to sound off hand either.

As betta 246 stated, breeders interbreed not only siblings but father and daugther, mother and son, Grandad and granddaughter, so to speak. To produce certain colours and finage.

Sucessfully bred, not by a long shot. It's my first ever try at breeding bettas, and their first go. So me and the fry are on undiscovered teritory at the moment :unsure: :)

lol i didnt know if i had offended you, so thought i'd better let you know i wasnt trying to (apparently i dont know when to shut up and can easily offend)

Also, i would say you have sucessfully bred, the babies are still alive and growing well :good:

amazing
good.gif

Bettas, as with quite a few other fish can be interbreed to produce more *stronger* related lines
smile.gif

Oh and to the OP: you can get Vinegar Eel from Ebay
smile.gif

WRONG!

Take the black strain for example you can't interbreed them and why?

Bettas can only be inbred so many times before your entire fry end up with deformities, many fish can be inbred like mentioned mother and son and father and dughter you actually follow inbreeding it is different then line breeding, line breeding, that method mentioned is called line breeding where you take a mother and a son and breed them the entire thing that is going on is you are trying to get colours out of the line or make certain colours and finage and tail types more dominate. Inbreeding is taking daughter and son and after about your 3rd breed of doing that you start seeing deformities, after about the 5th time its not good the entire batch is done! Line breeding is different, and will last as much as 8 lines. The rule of thumb is no more than 2 generations for inbreeding. When ever you are inbreeding you have to remember you have to outcross due to the genes, and that goes for any fish. Really people should not look at inbreeding but yet look at line breeding thats how you keep the fish looking amazing :)

Mainly there are 2 types line breeding and inbreeding both are different line breeding can be done with almost any fish, actually never read where is didn't work out! Inbreeding thats a different story! Your show bettas are done by line breeding not by inbreeding, knowing the difference is a huge step to anyone willing to follow a line and can take years to follow just one line!

And dog its by far your last breed lol, pretty soon you will have more tanks or jars in the house lol, did you up the feedings?? and added more water changes??

BTW I have lots of vinager eals but where are you located I could ship you some out for just the postage :)

amazing
good.gif

Bettas, as with quite a few other fish can be interbreed to produce more *stronger* related lines
smile.gif

smile.gif

WRONG!

Bettas can only be inbred so many times before your entire fry end up with deformities, many fish can be inbred like mentioned mother and son and father and dughter you actually follow inbreeding it is different then line breeding, line breeding, that method mentioned is called line breeding where you take a mother and a son and breed them the entire thing that is going on is you are trying to get colours out of the line or make certain colours and finage and tail types more dominate. Inbreeding is taking daughter and son and after about your 3rd breed of doing that you start seeing deformities, after about the 5th time its not good the entire batch is done! Line breeding is different, and will last as much as 8 lines. The rule of thumb is no more than 2 generations for inbreeding. When ever you are inbreeding you have to remember you have to outcross due to the genes, and that goes for any fish. Really people should not look at inbreeding but yet look at line breeding thats how you keep the fish looking amazing :)

Mainly there are 2 types line breeding and inbreeding both are different line breeding can be done with almost any fish, actually never read where is didn't work out! Inbreeding thats a different story! Your show bettas are done by line breeding not by inbreeding, knowing the difference is a huge step to anyone willing to follow a line and can take years to follow just one line!

And dog its by far your last breed lol, pretty soon you will have more tanks or jars in the house lol, did you up the feedings?? and added more water changes??

BTW I have lots of vinager eals but where are you located I could ship you some out for just the postage :)

Thanks for that. I does clear things up a bit with the inbreeding.

LOL never said it was my last breed, just my very first one. I will see what comes of this little venture. I am glad that it's a small spawn the first time round.

Feedings, bit of a novice mistake from me, with the microworms. didn't start a freash culture soon enough, and when i did there was not many left. then I thought I'd done the mix too watery first time so I did'nt use as much water. Hence my mistake, I've lived and learn so to are the fry. I have a freash culture comming, thought it would have been here by saturday but no another nail in the coffin.

Water changes, going to try and keep up with these but a real pain in the bum working 4 days on 4 days off (11.5 hour shifts), but regular water changes do make sence to me now. IE: mineral intake for the fry, correct me if i'm wrong.

Vinegar eels, thanks for the offer but your over the pond, im uk. think shipping would be a bit too much. I'm going to order some from BigC very soon.

Thanks so much for your help, I'm on a big learning curve at the moment and your input has been of great use to me.

amazing
good.gif

smile.gif

smile.gif

WRONG!

i have read that twice, but my brain doesnt work.

so, is breeding siblings and buying siblings wrong? or just father and daughter (eg) just wrong?

my brain is on go slow tonight for some reason :S

amazing
good.gif

smile.gif

smile.gif

WRONG!

Bettas can only be inbred so many times before your entire fry end up with deformities, many fish can be inbred like mentioned mother and son and father and dughter you actually follow inbreeding it is different then line breeding, line breeding, that method mentioned is called line breeding where you take a mother and a son and breed them the entire thing that is going on is you are trying to get colours out of the line or make certain colours and finage and tail types more dominate. Inbreeding is taking daughter and son and after about your 3rd breed of doing that you start seeing deformities, after about the 5th time its not good the entire batch is done! Line breeding is different, and will last as much as 8 lines. The rule of thumb is no more than 2 generations for inbreeding. When ever you are inbreeding you have to remember you have to outcross due to the genes, and that goes for any fish. Really people should not look at inbreeding but yet look at line breeding thats how you keep the fish looking amazing
smile.gif

BTW I have lots of vinager eals but where are you located I could ship you some out for just the postage
smile.gif

i have read that twice, but my brain doesnt work.

so, is breeding siblings and buying siblings wrong? or just father and daughter (eg) just wrong?

my brain is on go slow tonight for some reason
wacko.gif
Okay sorry about the hijack of thread lol, but have to explain in easier terms
Inbreeding = Son and Daughter
Line Breeding = Father and Daughter
Line Breeding = Mother and Son

Both can be done what most do is do line breeding till they get perfect finage or colour then they go to inbreeding and never to it more than 2 times in the inbred meaning siblings son and daughter
Both have ups and downs so more less both have pros and cons, I have seen bad resaults from both and seen good resaults from both usually line breeding is the best method Here is an example of a line breeding then using the siblings for inbreeding no more than 2 times

Line Breeding
Mother and Son 1st bred
Mother and Son from above batch 2nd bred(Might get a few defective)
Mother and Son from Above batch 3rd bred(Might get a few defective)
Now take Sister and Brother from above batch and breed them
Son and Daughter (Might get some defective fish)
Son and Daughter from above batch(You will get some defective fish)
then you don't continue in the line anymore, you outbreed

Inbreeding
This is what leads to your lfs having defected fish
Mother and father 1st bred (Assuming from different families)
Son and Daughter 2nd bred <- Some defective is why we cull fish
Son and Daughter from above 3rd Bred <- Defective fish!

With defective fish what we do is cull them another words we destroy them, example would be a spine that is not straight, or belly sliders, its always easier to cull fish right after they hatch means less to feed for raising and means the best possible fish out of the deal

Ok, so what i said is wrong... HOW?

Bettas, as with quite a few other fish can be interbred to produce more *stronger* related lines

Interbreeding is to breed with another species,
Example would be dogs for this not fish
Good example of this interbreeding is
chauchua with a Pomeranian
This is interbreeding
inbreeding would be taking the sibblings and breeding them
line breeding would be to take the mother or father and mix with the son or daughter
Does this clear it up a little bit for you??

Interbreeding is not related to fish, you can't breed a betta with a discus or a discus with an angelfish that would be considered interbreeding, also known as hybrids, look at cichlids for this example in the african area when they talk about mixed species

Lots of species when it comes to bettas, egg layers and mouth brooders and you can't mix the 2, this is interbreeding, with cichlids its recommended to stay away from hybrids because of aggression issues

Does this clear things up for you??

Most reactions

Back