Cuban Delight

Right, I went to the local MA today to find they only had 6 Lampeyes, so 12 in the 60 I thought wouldn't look enough so I bought 20 Boraras Maculatus. When I got them they were so transparent I think due to being crammed in a 20 litre with like 200 others plus 70 odd Kuhli Loaches. Got them home, acclimatized them and now they're colouring up and shoaling great, only problem is the other 6 Lampeyes think they're part of the same group and shoal with them lol, may have to donate them. Also bought an Oto Affinis I believe its called, great little algae muncher, never had one before as I've never needed them but he's great. Pic's coming tomorrow evening, I have to go make a night time lid for the tank to stop the jumpers lol.

Quick update guys in the form of a vid, not great quality but you can see the new guys, 20 Chilli Rasbora or Boraras Maculatus, they're great little fish, just need to re home the 6 random Lampeyes now, oh and here's a pic of the new Oto too. The Fissidens is dying after the spot dose for algae but I'm sure it will bounce back, also the Aponogeton Red is doing the same so soon we will have lush new growth and a very healthy looking tank...........................I hope :).

Oto
Newfish003.jpg

Lampeye & Rasbora
Newfish005.jpg

Vid
[b[/b]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pi-h8-13L5g[/media]

Small update but good news, as you can see from the previous pictures BBA was taking major hold of my tank, after the spot dosing and excel overdosing its now almost gone, it literally disappeared over night, now there's a few tiny whits strands left that the shrimp are munching through. The Aponogeton Crispus Red is slowly growing back and so is the Fissidens so not long now till we have some lovely lush new growth. Funny as since the algae died the plants have upped their growth rate too and the area of substrate that had rocks in the corner which were removed is now slowly being carpeted with HC.

Pic's soon as I get hold of a decent camera lol.

Cheers mate, I do like them, they were originally the plan for this tank, shoddy camera doesn't show up their colouring well at all tho.

why don't you treat yourself mate!

you can pick up a decent SLR body up for £100 now and the lens don't have to be expensive.

Good news on the BBA mate, now you just need to sort the problems to which it appeared, you have any ideas why it appeared anyways?

Yeah it appeared due to me not making my mind up with the Excel dosing and doing water changes with the lights on lol.

Yeah I could do Ian but I would have to face certain death from the missus lol, I'm starting up some big propagators soon so hopefully will be making some money for my hobby so we'll see.

Let me know if you might be after a bargain potted Aponogeton Crispus Red anytime as I have runners and they're going in there too.

Got a decent pic today so thought I'd post it up. :)

I also need a new name for Isle Of The Crypts as there are no Crypts in there now, any suggestions guys and gals?

NewJournal001.jpg

for me, this was the best layout of this tank, but can i suggest some changes?

1) Take the left hand set of rocks, and plant the PH inbetween and behind the rocks (the crypt side not the HC side), then allow the HC to grow in between the front rock and the glass, up as far as the crypt.

2) Also, thicken behind the main focal point (behind rocks, below the bottom piece of branchy wood) - use c.parva and then some mid size ones behind, maybe browns?

3) Remove the far left piece of vertical wood if possible, and plant some balansae or other larger (taller) crypts.. this will hide your filter, add some depth, and also allow ottos to cling to some larger leafed plants.

i know you have tried changing the scape since, but for me thats where i would go (purely suggestions to aid an already nice base)

Got a decent pic today so thought I'd post it up. :)

I also need a new name for Isle Of The Crypts as there are no Crypts in there now, any suggestions guys and gals?

NewJournal001.jpg

for me, this was the best layout of this tank, but can i suggest some changes?

1) Take the left hand set of rocks, and plant the PH inbetween and behind the rocks (the crypt side not the HC side), then allow the HC to grow in between the front rock and the glass, up as far as the crypt.

2) Also, thicken behind the main focal point (behind rocks, below the bottom piece of branchy wood) - use c.parva and then some mid size ones behind, maybe browns?

3) Remove the far left piece of vertical wood if possible, and plant some balansae or other larger (taller) crypts.. this will hide your filter, add some depth, and also allow ottos to cling to some larger leafed plants.

i know you have tried changing the scape since, but for me thats where i would go (purely suggestions to aid an already nice base)

All the Helferi is out now as the HC has grown very thick after the recent trim and its now growing between the rocks and the glass and rocks. Behind the rocks the new Crypt growth has filled it all in now so its quite dense. I cant remove the far left piece of wood as it holds the scape together and the needle fern on it now covers the filter lol also at the back I have Aponogeton Crispus Red for some more colour and height. Thanks for the suggestions but the pic above is quite old now in terms of how the scape has filled in. Also the rock placement has changed slightly, once I can borrow a decent camera I'll get some new pic's up as its changed a lot since.

:)

Small update, the HC is shooting runners all over in the patch where the Helferi was, I reckon in 2 weeks it will be a full carpet again. Its also decided to start growing over my rocks and rooting in the cracks, looks great but no pic's yet. Fissidens died back but I have a tiny bit left which is fighting its way back and the Aponogeton Crispus Red is now shooting new leaves from the substate and has quite a few runners so I think I'm gonna end up with a full on bush of it in the end. :)

Small update, the HC is shooting runners all over in the patch where the Helferi was, I reckon in 2 weeks it will be a full carpet again. Its also decided to start growing over my rocks and rooting in the cracks, looks great but no pic's yet. Fissidens died back but I have a tiny bit left which is fighting its way back and the Aponogeton Crispus Red is now shooting new leaves from the substate and has quite a few runners so I think I'm gonna end up with a full on bush of it in the end. :)

Sounds good mate, look forward to the pics :good:

Most reactions

Back