Coronavirus...post your thoughts here...

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I know for a fact, at least in KY, there are no restrictions on food, except for at a local Walmart. They are limiting the amount of milk and eggs people can buy.

What restrictions do you have? here in the UK you are allowed to buy food.
Limits on milk, cheese, eggs, meat and anything that is low stock in the store

There are limits as to how many gallons of milk you can buy and how much meat. Sadly, dairy farms are having to dump perfectly good milk.
Same. I went to buy 2 cartons of eggs and the snooty lady at the checkout said, “You can only buy one, you know that” And I said back, “I didn’t see the sign, but I’ll put it here.”

Then she told me that I had to go put it all the way at the back of the store. (Which doesn’t really promote the idea of “No germs”?) :rolleyes:

That’s not what I heard him say at all.

Did you actually read his post in full? He actually thinks we should plough on business as usual and allow the coronavirus pandeminc to continue.

This is coming from a guy who works in McDonalds selling food that creates obesity and diabetes..

Come on....

It’s not necessarily that they are low in stock, they are just trying to prevent stockpiling.
My local stores are doing it for things they are low on too :)

Why would you want to buy "gallons" of milk?? Just buy what you need.
I know we have 7 people in out family, we use 2 or more gallons per week. Cant say for others though

Coronavirus and the seasonal flu are not equal. I think this is one of the better visualizations of this. Although the deaths seem the same, the coronavirus "season" has just begun while the flu season has been going on for months. This dramatic increase in deaths has occurred despite the quarantines in place all over the world.

Like other viruses that recently jumped from another animal to humans (e.g. SARS, MERS, HIV, Ebola, etc.), the coronavirus has a high mortality rate, ~1-3% according to most sources (e.g. this), this is in comparison to the 0.1% for the seasonal flu, meaning COVID-19 is about 10-30 times more lethal than the seasonal flu. This is subject to testing biases, but the consensus is that the coronavirus is significantly more lethal than the seasonal flu. It's also thought that the Coronavirus is more infectious than the seasonal flu with each infected person infecting about 2-2.5 others on average. For the flu, this number is about 1.3 (source). In addition, the SARS-COV-2 has a longer incubation period than the flu (average 5 days vs. 2 days for the flu), meaning people are infectious without symptoms for a longer period of time with the coronavirus than with the flu. Overall, COVID-19 is about twice as infectious and 10 times more lethal than the seasonal flu.

Finally, and most importantly, the coronavirus has an extremely high hospitalization rate per case (subject to testing biases). About 20% of cases or more require hospitalization in comparison to the ~1% for the flu (coronavirus source, flu source). The lethality of the disease would be higher without medical intervention, and the disease puts much more stress on the medical system than the flu. For example, had Boris Johnson received no medical support he may have died. This is the point about locking everything down, we need to limit the case load at any given moment because if the healthcare system gets overrun, the coronavirus situation will take a catastrophically lethal turn.

Of course, we will have to break quarantine eventually, and, ultimately, a large percentage of the population may get the coronavirus. We just need to be sure that our healthcare systems can handle the load at any given time. This is the idea behind "flattening the curve", and this decision should be left to qualified experts. Perhaps this time is coming soon (in the US at least). It sounds like the pressure on the medical system has been alleviated as of late. I wouldn't be surprised if in a week or so things are opened back up, especially considering the political situation in the US.

Most reactions

Back