Coronavirus...post your thoughts here...

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Who cares?

People are dying, I have relatives who are elderly and I don't want to see them die unnecessarily, the whole point of having a goverment and organisational structure to a society is to create order and a safe place to be. You cant just give up and let any number of diseases (HIV for example) that come about go rampant killing everyone. If you were to take your view of not wanting to reduce deaths of this COVID19 and apply it to all facets of healthcare, then we may as well shut down hospitals and that little girl you mention could have died too from dehydration. There s no logic to saying we are only going to bother working on vacines or efforts for some diseases that can kill people and not work on some other diseases that can kill peole.
The oldest section of the population is dying. They aren’t the majority

The oldest section of the population is dying. They aren’t the majority
And every morning for the last week, I as the father of a fit and healthy twenty something year old, spend the first few hours of the day waiting to hear that my daughter is still amongst the living. I really hope you enjoy your precious economy and liberties.

Guys...guys... We can talk about this like civilized people. No reason to get all up in arms. @TheTenthDoctor was just making a point.

I am going to speak from a professional psychiatric nurse point of view here. I am old but healthy and will take my chances. We don’t want deaths nor do we want another depression. People are dying from this Pandemic in other ways that no one is considering. Suicide hotline calls have increased in some areas by 400%! Parents are unable to feed or house their children. They are feeling helpless and desperate. Many feel like failures. Suicides are increasing and mental depression will continue to grow as long as the Countries remain closed. We have to look at the entire picture of how this virus is affecting our communities. My grandparents told horrible stories of people hanging in trees, jumping off buildings, etc during The Great Depression. Realistically, our Countries can’t remain closed until the virus is “gone”. It can’t happen. In stages, the healthy will have to get back out and open our Countries back up. Economy IS part of our health. If we remain closed, people will survive the virus but many will die in despair. Mental health is real and depression is already a huge community issue. We already had an epidemic in suicide before this Pandemic began. It will only worsen. We have to weigh the odds.

Indeed we do have to weigh the odds,however, we must ensure the hospitals can cope with the demand placed o n them and we need to ensure reductoin of the spread of the virus. The idea he Tenth Dr gave was to simply allow the virus to go kill as many people as possible just for saving the economy in the short term. the economy will recover, people who die needlessly will not come back to life.

Where did you read this? Because the only thing I can find on New Zealand regarding ventilators is that they're sourcing more.
I dont know my uncle's friends grandma died and she wasn't given a ventilator and we heard the same for the other deaths

Who cares?

People are dying, I have relatives who are elderly and I don't want to see them die unnecessarily, the whole point of having a goverment and organisational structure to a society is to create order and a safe place to be. You cant just give up and let any number of diseases (HIV for example) that come about go rampant killing everyone. If you were to take your view of not wanting to reduce deaths of this COVID19 and apply it to all facets of healthcare, then we may as well shut down hospitals and that little girl you mention could have died too from dehydration. There s no logic to saying we are only going to bother working on vacines or efforts for some diseases that can kill people and not work on some other diseases that can kill peole.
I am going to speak from a professional psychiatric nurse point of view here. I am old but healthy and will take my chances. We don’t want deaths nor do we want another depression. People are dying from this Pandemic in other ways that no one is considering. Suicide hotline calls have increased in some areas by 400%! Parents are unable to feed or house their children. They are feeling helpless and desperate. Many feel like failures. Suicides are increasing and mental depression will continue to grow as long as the Countries remain closed. We have to look at the entire picture of how this virus is affecting our communities. My grandparents told horrible stories of people hanging in trees, jumping off buildings, etc during The Great Depression. Realistically, our Countries can’t remain closed until the virus is “gone”. It can’t happen. In stages, the healthy will have to get back out and open our Countries back up. Economy IS part of our health. If we remain closed, people will survive the virus but many will die in despair. Mental health is real and depression is already a huge community issue. We already had an epidemic in suicide before this Pandemic began. It will only worsen. We have to weigh the odds.
Thank you! All of this is much more than an illness. The shut down has far reaching effects.

Indeed we do have to weigh the odds,however, we must ensure the hospitals can cope with the demand placed o n them and we need to ensure reductoin of the spread of the virus. The idea he Tenth Dr gave was to simply allow the virus to go kill as many people as possible just for saving the economy in the short term. the economy will recover, people who die needlessly will not come back to life.

that’s not what I meant. I meant at this point a shut down is doing more harm than good. We must get back to work

If we go back to work and school all at once it will come back even stronger than before. This has been shown in other countries, even when the relaxed the local down a little bit it came back stronger and experieced thousands more deaths than would have resulted otherwise. Yes the flu kills a huge number every year, but we cant compare to the flu at this point in time because it hasn't been a full year, We are comparing to a full years worth of flu deaths. The flu does not kill 2500 people a day like covid did yesterday in the US

that’s not what I meant. I meant at this point a shut down is doing more harm than good. We must get back to work

But you simply don't understand what the consequences of that is.

Hospitals wil be PACKED FULL of people with this disease. If you crash your car or fall down a ladder or have a heart attack, where exactly do yout hink you will go for help???

But you simply don't understand what the consequences of that is.

Hospitals wil be PACKED FULL of people with this disease. If you crash your car or fall down a ladder or have a heart attack, where exactly do yout hink you will go for help???
I agree, even with italy locking down they had no room for other medical emergencies, heart attacks, car crashes etc.
Please dont say we cant compare to Italy, italy has pretty good healthcare and actually has more hospital beds and ventilators per capita than the US

I agree, even with italy locking down they had no room for other medical emergencies, heart attacks, car crashes etc.
Please dont say we cant compare to Italy, italy has pretty good healthcare and actually has more hospital beds and ventilators per capita than the US

Somebody in the UK which is one of Europe's most successful countries actually said that Italy's system was better in regards to this, so I see what you mean.

But, it mostly only effecting older people. That’s why the younger generation is not paying any attention to the risk here.

Most reactions

Back