Coronavirus...post your thoughts here...

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Yeesh! How can they be unclaimed!?
the entire family dies. single person with no family or friends. it's quite common and will happen to me when I die.

------------------
The convicts at the prison down the road from our house were causing problems and threatening to set fires. Now a few minutes ago there was a bomb threat and we have police helicopters hovering over our house
You should run outside with a broom handle and pretend to shoot someone in your backyard. Give the choppers something to watch. :)

The convicts at the prison down the road from our house were causing problems and threatening to set fires. Now a few minutes ago there was a bomb threat and we have police helicopters hovering over our house

Wow, are I thought those speeding car drivers were being naughty!

Does anyone know why th raet of new cases is going to slow down? Also how would we know when the UK population has so called heard immunity?

Herd immunity only becomes a thing when a significant percent of the population has it - something like 70%. Since there is currently no treatment or vaccine the options are:
  1. Total lock down until everyone that has it has either recovered or died and there is no virus left in the country. Then we would need very strict border controls and quarantines to stop it coming back. As @Colin_T pointed out in an earlier post that is what we do with disease in our tanks. Not going to happen in the west because some governments are trying to balance saving the population with saving the economy. Others are more concerned with protecting their economies and appear willing to sacrifice people to do so
  2. Wait till the immediate crisis with health service capacity is over and lift the restrictions so the next batch of people can catch it. In theory the next wave would be smaller but they would most likely need to introduce restrictions again when the health services become overloaded again. Nobody has any real idea of how many such cycles we would need before we have "herd immunity". AFAIK they also don't know for sure that having the antibodies (i.e. you have had it before) gives you permanent - or even any - protection if you get re-infected.
  3. Do nothing and see how many people die.

UK military is helping with logistics too. I am puzzled though as to why reports never seem to show this. We are told by the government this idea of PPE is getting to the hospitals yet no reporters show this idea of a queue of lorries waiting to get a batch put into their lorry so they can drive off and deliver it. Yet when we get a big snow storm, there is no problem in a reporter showing a truck picking up tonnes of grit to go out to grit the roads with from a grip depot.

Herd immunity only becomes a thing when a significant percent of the population has it - something like 70%. Since there is currently no treatment or vaccine the options are:
  1. Total lock down until everyone that has it has either recovered or died and there is no virus left in the country. Then we would need very strict border controls and quarantines to stop it coming back. As @Colin_T pointed out in an earlier post that is what we do with disease in our tanks. Not going to happen in the west because some governments are trying to balance saving the population with saving the economy. Others are more concerned with protecting their economies and appear willing to sacrifice people to do so
  2. Wait till the immediate crisis with health service capacity is over and lift the restrictions so the next batch of people can catch it. In theory the next wave would be smaller but they would most likely need to introduce restrictions again when the health services become overloaded again. Nobody has any real idea of how many such cycles we would need before we have "herd immunity". AFAIK they also don't know for sure that having the antibodies (i.e. you have had it before) gives you permanent - or even any - protection if you get re-infected.
  3. Do nothing and see how many people die.

Yes but how long would it take to get herd immunity?

No, I mean sooner or later there are going to be riots and revolts. The military is going to have to be put into action, not just in logistics.

if we do eventually get to herd immunity, you can expect tens of thousands of more deaths. So opening up the country will increase the spread leading to eventually herd immunity but adding many many deaths. We need a vaccine yesterday, but one won't be approved for probably a year or more from now. I watched a documentary on youtube about the spanish flu where 645,000 people in the US died as well as many many more around the world. Very sad.

Most reactions

Back