Coronavirus...post your thoughts here...

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I think the lions and tiger contracted the virus back from people because those two species are/ were found in China and those particular species will be susceptible to it. Just like any other species from China or Eurasia might be able to get it.

The original virus could have come from predatory animals in which case it will probably be confined to big cats and other meat eaters, including people. It might have come from vegetarian animals but I doubt that.

I doubt cattle will get it but they might, and if they do, we're screwed. However, if you cook meat properly, it will kill any viruses in or on it. So no rare or medium rare meat, always well done.
House cats have it now too, I think it was 75% of house cats in the worst areas have it?

Sadly, the flu has killed infants and children.

Why is all the panic going on over this virus? The common flu killed over 41,000 people last year in the U.S. Those are the ones recorded. Yet, people don’t take the flu vaccine. Covid-19 has killed less than 12,000 thus far. But this is some monster that is going to destroy us all. No, we are destroying our economy by panicking. Next, we’ll be in a depression. Most people who get this virus run a fever for a day with a headache then it is gone. This is one confused nurse.
The difference is the exponential rate it is spreading, doubling roughly every three days. The 1918 flu is what we now have as the seasonal flu, but nobody doubts how bad that was or how many people it killed. It killed more Americans than both world wars combined. Once we reach herd immunity it will be less severe (most likely)
There is expected to be over 100 thousand deaths over the next 18 months. It is not just the flu

Also the R0 is higher than the flu, making it harder to contain

Can’t speak for Italy and Iran. I’ve only worked in the U.S.
I should probably clarify, I meant the covid kills many more infants in those countries than the flu, and we havent caught up with them so we have yet to see

Just seen this, black people have it worse, for whatever reason.

We actually were discussing that at work. There are several reasons for this...poverty, living conditions, and health issues that are higher in our black community such as heart disease, diabetes, sickle cell, hypertension. Many don’t have the funds for medications for these things. So sad. More community health centers are needed in our country.

Another thing that is interesting is they the countries which have mandatory tb vaccines seem to be faring better
The BCG vaccine

Well that stinks, I think they are starting to over do this!
If you watch the statistics on the news you might change your mind. The numbers in the US is climbing rapidly and is quite alarming.

----------------
Why is all the panic going on over this virus? The common flu killed over 41,000 people last year in the U.S. Those are the ones recorded. Yet, people don’t take the flu vaccine. Covid-19 has killed less than 12,000 thus far. But this is some monster that is going to destroy us all. No, we are destroying our economy by panicking. Next, we’ll be in a depression. Most people who get this virus run a fever for a day with a headache then it is gone. This is one confused nurse.
This is more than just a flu virus and it is going to kill more than the common flu virus does. The economy should be the least of our worries. This virus has the potential to wipe out species including us. Yes a lot of people are surviving this, but if it's jumping back to animals, it could mutate each time it jumps and that could mean it reinfects people that have already had it.

It is also running wild in New York and a few other states and it could infect everyone in the US and around the world. Even if it only kills 5% of the people it infects, that is going to be millions of people that die from this.

----------------
House cats have it now too, I think it was 75% of house cats in the worst areas have it?
This and the fact the tiger and lions at the Bronx zoo have it, would suggest this came from wild cats in China.

----------------
Just seen this, black people have it worse, for whatever reason.
A lot of the black community don't have as much money as white people and there might be more people living in smaller buildings, so the virus would have less trouble spreading. Poor people in lower class suburbs might not have access to medical care due to the high cost of medical care in the US.

The same thing happens in Australia with the aboriginals living in remote communities not having access to any medical care unless they travel hundreds of kilometers into town. A lot of them are poor and don't trust white people and that doesn't help.

If you watch the statistics on the news you might change your mind. The numbers in the US is climbing rapidly and is quite alarming.

----------------

This is more than just a flu virus and it is going to kill more than the common flu virus does. The economy should be the least of our worries. This virus has the potential to wipe out species including us. Yes a lot of people are surviving this, but if it's jumping back to animals, it could mutate each time it jumps and that could mean it reinfects people that have already had it.

It is also running wild in New York and a few other states and it could infect everyone in the US and around the world. Even if it only kills 5% of the people it infects, that is going to be millions of people that die from this.

----------------

This and the fact the tiger and lions at the Bronx zoo have it, would suggest this came from wild cats in China.

----------------

A lot of the black community don't have as much money as white people and there might be more people living in smaller buildings, so the virus would have less trouble spreading. Poor people in lower class suburbs might not have access to medical care due to the high cost of medical care in the US.

The same thing happens in Australia with the aboriginals living in remote communities not having access to any medical care unless they travel hundreds of kilometers into town. A lot of them are poor and don't trust white people and that doesn't help.
It definitely could have. If you look at videos of the wet markets in china there are many different cats shoved in tiny cages and illegally smuggled in for "gourmet dishes"

I should probably clarify, I meant the covid kills many more infants in those countries than the flu, and we havent caught up with them so we have yet to see
Have you seen the housing in Italy? Everyone are sardined to together.
The difference is the exponential rate it is spreading, doubling roughly every three days. The 1918 flu is what we now have as the seasonal flu, but nobody doubts how bad that was or how many people it killed. It killed more Americans than both world wars combined. Once we reach herd immunity it will be less severe (most likely)
There is expected to be over 100 thousand deaths over the next 18 months. It is not just the flu
That is an estimate of what we could see. Not an official number. Remember, the flu goes through the full year too. As an RN and working currently in infection control reporting, I don’t see our numbers getting that high but that could change. I ‘m only going with current numbers. New York is our highest percentages of cases. They are slowly dropping. I predict a curve in the next 2 weeks, myself. Again, that could easily change.

Most reactions

Back