Betta looking so much better :)

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Update to Hank, he's definitely still moving. He's shifted himself the other way again and is now lying flat again. Breathing still shallow but hopefully that's just in comparison to the gasping he's done.

Gang, I agree with @Colin_T. Colin is not known for tact but he is honest and smart. I told you yesterday that his lying flat on his side was not a good sign and he may not make it. If he is on his back, then he is dying. Don’t waste the money on the Furan-2. It’s too late. Buy a bottle of clove oil and I will walk you through how to euthanize him. I hate to see him suffering. If you can’t do that then just keep him comfortable. I don’t think it will be much longer. No more treatments. It’s time to let Hank go. I’m so sorry.

Gang, I agree with @Colin_T. Colin is not known for tact but he is honest and smart. I told you yesterday that his lying flat on his side was not a good sign and he may not make it. If he is on his back, then he is dying. Don’t waste the money on the Furan-2. It’s too late. Buy a bottle of clove oil and I will walk you through how to euthanize him. I hate to see him suffering. If you can’t do that then just keep him comfortable. I don’t think it will be much longer. No more treatments. It’s time to let Hank go. I’m so sorry.
Okay. I'm really sorry that I couldn't do more for him, and that he had to spend so long suffering. I will wait a little bit for my own sake and try to keep him comfortable in the mean time, but I suppose that if it's his time there's no avoiding it. How do I comfortably euthanize him? Clove oil may be out of the equation.

I know it's a stab in the dark to keep hoping, but he has started to move a little more today. He hasn't been able to right himself yet, but my brave little fish is still kicking even at the very end. I'm very proud of him for holding out this long, and I think I'll bury him in the woods with our other precious pets. 9 days in and he's still probably my favorite fish I've ever kept.

If you can’t get clove oil then just let him rest. Some people say to put them in a bag and hit them hard on the counter or freeze them. I can’t do either of those. Seems so inhumane. If you think he’s improving then it won’t hurt to keep up the treatment. I just want you prepared. It has to be something internal. Either an injury or bacterial. If he’s barely breathing it won’t be long. I’m sorry. :(

If you can’t get clove oil then just let him rest. Some people say to put them in a bag and hit them hard on the counter or freeze them. I can’t do either of those. Seems so in humane. If you think he’s improving then it won’t hurt to keep up the treatment. I just want you prepared. It has to be something internal. Either an injury or bacterial. If he’s barely breathing it won’t be long. I’m sorry. :(

100% agree.

I really really appreciate you guys helping me through this, you've been nothing less than spectacular at teaching a total noob what's needed to know. I think I might try this again after some time, preparation, and a lot of research but we'll have to see. I definitely won't leave the forums forever, especially since I love seeing all of the cool tanks and learning about different fish. Please wish Hank a peaceful rest, he deserves it.

I'm really sorry we couldn't help him. Just know it's not you or your care.

I really really appreciate you guys helping me through this, you've been nothing less than spectacular at teaching a total noob what's needed to know. I think I might try this again after some time, preparation, and a lot of research but we'll have to see. I definitely won't leave the forums forever, especially since I love seeing all of the cool tanks and learning about different fish. Please wish Hank a peaceful rest, he deserves it.

Take your time. We'll be here when you come back.

Like I said before, none of this is a reflection of the care you gave him. It's one of those things. More than likely, he came home with whatever is/has taken him.

Remember this - when you are ready to try again, you'll come back stronger and more knowledgeable than you were when you brought Hank home. You already know more more than you think you do, and the next fish (I'm sure there will will more ;) ) will benefit from the past 2 weeks.

And dont let anyone tell you he was "just" a fish. There's no such thing. Hank is your pet, your friend, YOUR fish. You did you very best, and no one could have done any better.

Take your time. We'll be here when you come back.

Like I said before, none of this is a reflection of the care you gave him. It's one of those things. More than likely, he came home with whatever is/has taken him.

Remember this - when you are ready to try again, you'll come back stronger and more knowledgeable than you were when you brought Hank home. You already know more more than you think you do, and the next fish (I'm sure there will will more ;) ) will benefit from the past 2 weeks.

And dont let anyone tell you he was "just" a fish. There's no such thing. Hank is your pet, your friend, YOUR fish. You did you very best, and no one could have done any better.
Well said

I definitely appreciate all the kind words, Linz you definitely know how to make me tear up :)

I have something... weird to share. I was in the living room researching humane ways to euthanize a betta (I think clove oil is the only one I'd be able to handle) but I couldn't decide on any because I either didn't have the ingredients or I just couldn't do that to Hank. So I went back to my room to check on him and see if he was still breathing and he was gone. I looked around frantically to find out he had moved himself all the way to the other side of the tank and has propped himself completely upright between his log and a pebble. Keep in mind, this tank is pretty long for a small betta who can't swim right, but he still made it. I'm choosing to take this as a sign that if he refuses to stop trying, I won't either. I will be doing his water change and salt treatment, and I will monitor him to see if he would be viable for furan 2. Thank you guys for your support, and I will keep updating as usual.

Attachments

• 20200423_150333.jpg
    20200423_150333.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 69
I definitely appreciate all the kind words, Linz you definitely know how to make me tear up :)

I have something... weird to share. I was in the living room researching humane ways to euthanize a betta (I think clove oil is the only one I'd be able to handle) but I couldn't decide on any because I either didn't have the ingredients or I just couldn't do that to Hank. So I went back to my room to check on him and see if he was still breathing and he was gone. I looked around frantically to find out he had moved himself all the way to the other side of the tank and has propped himself completely upright between his log and a pebble. Keep in mind, this tank is pretty long for a small betta who can't swim right, but he still made it. I'm choosing to take this as a sign that if he refuses to stop trying, I won't either. I will be doing his water change and salt treatment, and I will monitor him to see if he would be viable for furan 2. Thank you guys for your support, and I will keep updating as usual.
Hes such a fighter :)

What a fish! Fighter by name, fighter by nature! :oops:

Furan 2 might prove to be a case of kill or cure, but you''ve got nothing to lose from trying.

I went to check on him again and look! He's shifted himself and now he's only barely being held upright by his log! I'm really hoping this is a sign that he's gonna pull through, and I'm gonna try to feed him some bloodworms if he's still looking good in a little bit :D

I went to check on him again and look! He's shifted himself and now he's only barely being held upright by his log! I'm really hoping this is a sign that he's gonna pull through, and I'm gonna try to feed him some bloodworms if he's still looking good in a little bit :D

I'll be honest, this thread is the first thing I think of when I wake up - has been for days! Yet for the past 2 days, I've feared the worst. I've never seen a fish go from being completely on his side, flipping over, being upside down, and then self-righting and resting upright in the gravel.

Come on, Hank!!!

Most reactions

Back