Betta looking so much better :)

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Did the air freshener get in the tank water? It can be toxic to the fish. Do a water change in case
I sprayed once on the carpet by my bed (a little bit away) because I didn't want anything to get in his tank but I also knew my mom would throw a fit it the fish smell permeated at all (it hasn't, but the smell good disappeared)

Okay I have good news! I talked to my mom about the medicine and she's okay with it. My LPS closes in 4 minutes so unfortunately I can't get it tonight, but tomorrow after class and Hank's dailies I can call ahead and set out for it! If the store doesn't have any though, it may be some time before shipping can get to us :/

She's still convinced that Hank is as good as dead and tried to talk me into euthanizing him and getting goldfish, but luckily she didn't push back against the treatment. Let's go Hank! Prove my mom wrong!

Okay I have good news! I talked to my mom about the medicine and she's okay with it. My LPS closes in 4 minutes so unfortunately I can't get it tonight, but tomorrow after class and Hank's dailies I can call ahead and set out for it! If the store doesn't have any though, it may be some time before shipping can get to us :/

She's still convinced that Hank is as good as dead and tried to talk me into euthanizing him and getting goldfish, but luckily she didn't push back against the treatment. Let's go Hank! Prove my mom wrong!
Goldfish will die too, especially in a 10g or smaller! Go hank... you can do it!

Morning update: I turned the light on to check up on Hank and he had shifted himself all the way forward against the corner. I looked in and saw he's almost completely upside down, and his breathing is worryingly shallow. I'm gonna see about getting some of that furan ASAP. In the mean time, should I continue with his water changes and salt treatments since we think it may be bacterial now?

Morning update: I turned the light on to check up on Hank and he had shifted himself all the way forward against the corner. I looked in and saw he's almost completely upside down, and his breathing is worryingly shallow. I'm gonna see about getting some of that furan ASAP. In the mean time, should I continue with his water changes and salt treatments since we think it may be bacterial now?
If he is completely upside down, I’m starting to think there is something wrong with his swim bladder.

I say keep up with the salt and water changes.

I am also wondering if there's something wrong with his swim bladder. I was also thinking of other things it might be.

He ate a rock the other day, appeared to briefly choke on it, but swallowed it. I don't know if he would be able to pass it without a deal of pain.

I was reading other threads and saw someone had complications because a dead shrimp was left in the tank. When the first betta died she was left overnight, and I don't think I changed the water any.

When doing the water changes, since my only tool currently is a trash can of about 2 gallons, I have been filling the tank up and then adding the seachem prime to dechlorinate after all the water is in.

When he divebombed, he hit his head really hard. His swimming was already a little off before that, but I'm worried if he messed up his mouth and that's why he has a hard time with the bloodworms.

Could any of these be the cause of some of these complications?

it's probably dying and needs to be euthanised

I take it "tact" is not a word that's in your vocabulary, @Colin_T ?

However. . .

Why do you always jump to that conclusion so fast? You did it with my betta also...

Hank is going to pull through.

I do think we have to face the possibility that Colin's right. :(

I am also wondering if there's something wrong with his swim bladder. I was also thinking of other things it might be.

He ate a rock the other day, appeared to briefly choke on it, but swallowed it. I don't know if he would be able to pass it without a deal of pain.

I was reading other threads and saw someone had complications because a dead shrimp was left in the tank. When the first betta died she was left overnight, and I don't think I changed the water any.

When doing the water changes, since my only tool currently is a trash can of about 2 gallons, I have been filling the tank up and then adding the seachem prime to dechlorinate after all the water is in.

When he divebombed, he hit his head really hard. His swimming was already a little off before that, but I'm worried if he messed up his mouth and that's why he has a hard time with the bloodworms.

Could any of these be the cause of some of these complications?

Leaving the previous Betta in the tank overnight and not draining the water and disinfecting the tank could certainly be the cause of some of the problems you're seeing now, certainly.

Eating a rock, given the fact he hasn't are anything else, is almost encouraging. Almost. I wonder if it's got caught in the gut and caused severe constipation? He might not then want to eat.

I wonder how hard a fish could bang its head, unless he swam right into it? If it was aimless, I'd have thought the water would certainly have slowed down his descent.

I take it "tact" is not a word that's in your vocabulary, @Colin_T ?

However. . .

I do think we have to face the possibility that Colin's right. :(

Leaving the previous Betta in the tank overnight and not draining the water and disinfecting the tank could certainly be the cause of some of the problems you're seeing now, certainly.

Eating a rock, given the fact he hasn't are anything else, is almost encouraging. Almost. I wonder if it's got caught in the gut and caused severe constipation? He might not then want to eat.

I wonder how hard a fish could bang its head, unless he swam right into it? If it was aimless, I'd have thought the water would certainly have slowed down his descent.
To the last part about him hitting his head, he had gotten spooked and was doing a frantic swim, but something is wrong and he did an arc instead of moving across the tank. He was still trying to swim to correct himself as he went down, so unfortunately be got knocked hard enough that I was worried he killed himself as he couldn't move for a little bit after. It was really really sad to watch, I think he may have somewhat of a lean that caused it. Either that or his fins may be damaged. The edges were pure white but now they're closer to clear, so I can't hardly tell where the edges of his fins are anymore :(

Didn't yours get better for a couple of weeks and then die?

When fish start to roll over and lay on their side or upside down, they are near death's door.
Yes, he did. But you said as soon as the say the big fungus infection on his side, “That betta is going to die soon, it’s best to just euthanize him”

Most reactions

Back