Any Star Gazers...?

RainboWBacoN420

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I've been meaning to ask, is there any star gazers here? Anyone else who watches the night sky, pondering question upon question on what's out there and thinking about the vast, merciless, dark universe? If there's one thing that sparks my interest more than aquatics, it's astronomy. 

If you're still reading, you're most likely interested in space and the wonders of the universe. If so...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVQpwxgMQCg

I strongly recommend you watch this documentary, it's called Journey to the Edge of the Universe, it's a visual masterpiece in my opinion and very informative. 

Which leads me to ask, do any you believe there's life outside of our solar system? I think the idea of no other life out there is ridiculous, Infinite planets, infinite stars, infinite solar systems inside an infinite amount of galaxies leading to an infinite amount of questions!. There HAS to be some life out there, and of course we know there's micro life out there, but what about conscious beings like ourselves? Doesn't have to be humanoids, but what life may exist there, are they civilized, how advanced could they be? And things get a lot more complicated when discussing the Earth-like planets out there... I've been wondering for quite some time, what could be on those planets? Think of what crazy life could exist there. If it's an Earth-like planet, you can probably guess that there's a vast population of plant life, right? That what about those Earth-like's that are exposed to stars different from ours? Can those different values impact the growth of plants? There could be some plants beyond our imagination! So many questions, and most, if not all, won't be answered in our life time. 

And just think about spreading the virus of life across the galaxy, when or if we even discover how to travel safely at light speed and begin colonizing territories on other habitable planets and/or moons. The galactic conquest will spread like a wild fire once we've figured everything out, 

Anyways, how do you guys feel about astronomy and the universe? I'm really curious to know. It's not everyday where I can talk to people I already know about space except for my girlfriend. She's the only one I can really talk about sciencey stuff. no one else really seems astonished or interested, really... I thought some of you might wonder endlessly about the universe just as I do. 

How do you believe the universe started? The big bang? What caused the big bang exactly? I want to hear your thoughts and opinions on why you think the universe exists. I'm looking for really deep thoughts and perspectives of existence. 

I too often look into the nights sky and ponder some of the complexities of the universe. I do not believe that we are the only "live" planet in all the universes and it is self indulgent and egotistical for us to assume this planet is the only one to support life. Therefore I also shudder and shake my head in disbelieve when supposedly "intelligent" humans that have all but massacred this planet think its our "right" to not only plan to colonise other planets but also mine and exploit them for resources we as humans supposedly "need". I see it as we "broke" this planet and its up to us to fix it rather than assume its fine to extend our braking capabilities out into the greater universe.

But while talking about outer space, might I indulge in another fact that amazes me. While countries are spending literally billions into space research and ways of escaping this planet. There is only 2 men that have gone the deepest EVER into our worlds oceans and to date only one of these is still living. It appears while we know next to nothing about the true depths and inhabitants of this planet, scientists are more interested in finding ways to escape this one and colonise other planets rather than learn about what we already have at our very finger tips.

A song that I often think of is by Eric Bogle called " A Reason For it All". It is a haunting song with lots of meaning. And the Phrase created by Shakespeare for the characters Hamlet and Horatio " There are more things, Horatio, in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy"

If you wanna talk Space Rock, pop in some Pink Floyd my friend. My mind wonders on space when listening to "Speak to me/Breathe" and "Time".

You're definitely right about fixing this planet before we go about colonizes (and possibly ruining) other worlds out there, but is it most likely going to happen... probably, yes. 

I wouldn't say it interests me all that much but I am a strong believer that we are not alone. I few years ago I went with some friends to the coast to watch the dawn eclipse of the sun. We drove through the night and sat in a car park in the pitch black in our cars waiting for the dawn. Three of my friends went in search of a spot to answer the call of nature leaving me alone in my car and my friend alone in his. I was sat there looking up at the stars and thinking how beautiful it all was when I saw a bright light in the sky. I was just wondering what it could be when it shot across the sky. My first thought was 'oh, a shooting star' but then I saw it shining brightly again and it did the same thing. This time I kept my eye on it and it kept shooting across the sky. I looked to my friends car beside mine and he was watching it too. I wound down my window and called to him "we are not alone!" We both agreed it was weird and I'll admit sat alone in my car watching this strange thing did more than scare me a little! Ever since I've known for sure we are not the only living creature in the universe.

Been interested in astronomy since the age of 5. I haven't become a whizzkid mathematician as a result, but can generally find my way around the sky. In recent years became interested in astrophotography, using an 8" reflector and low-light CCD-chip camera (somewhat on the lines of a Starlight Xpress). However, time, other interests and commitments have eaten into that and I haven't done anything lately. Is there life elsewhere? Given the vast number of stars and the equally vast number of opportunities for planet formation, it would be a little blunt to insist that there was no life at all. To quote Patrick Moore, "we simply just don't know".
What type of life; I truly don't know. Plant life I would certainly support, along with microbes. Higher levels of intelligence are not out of the question, but simply a case of asking "how high?". There are many folk who believe Man was created here on Earth by very superior aliens. I would then ask "ok then who created the aliens?". That question can go on and on ad infinitum; everything must have an origin. Very mind-boggling.

How did the universe start? Same mind-boggling scenario. I think one thing that caught scientists off-guard a bit was when they pointed the Hubble telescope deep into space to search for the earliest light. They photo'd a whole bunch of galaxies at a distance of something like 13 billion light-years. What surprised them was that instead of seeing these galaxies in a newly-born state, along with the remnants of  the Big Bang radiation, they saw fully-formed mature ones (in terms of shape). They were seeking the earliest light, yet instead came across galaxies that looked as if they'd been around for zillions of years.
Also, in between these galaxies was black space...one might expect the whole scene to be brilliantly lit up, if it was really at the beginning of creation. And that, at a distance of 13 billion light-years....was there still, therefore, more light to be awaited, discovered?

I think if Man travels into Space and starts colonizing other worlds, he is going to need a massive moral and attitude-check, in sharp contrast to this 21st century. Although this planet of ours has been exploited, I don't think it is irredeemable. At present it's all about corporate (and private) profit, to the detriment of others. Those last five words are the key. There's nothing especially evil about profit in and of itself. It's the way that it is acquired which is the problem. On new worlds, Man would need to consider profit as being useful, but not the ultimate reason for being there. I believe we were made and born to explore this universe, and experience its treasures....but in the right manner and at the right time (whatever/whenever that may be).

As for exploring our own Earth.....yes indeed, there is still much we do not know; I agree it is amazing that we spend so much on "reaching out", when our own cradle is still a mystery to us.
Phew....all this and on a Saturday afternoon! Must go now to clean out my goldfish-tank.

I, luckily, live away from the city lights, on a 10 acre plot a few miles outside a major mid-western U.S. city, so I have a pretty good view of the night sky. Astrophysics, and star-gazing in general is a long-time hobby and passion, ranking just slightly behind fish-keeping and outdoor pursuits.
   I've said often that it's very arrogant of us to believe that we could be the only intelligent life form in the universe, or even in our galaxy. The human mindset is too narrow, we get mired in religious doxology, and we tend to view life only in the parameters we know. Einstein wrote that anything that is possible in the universe, no matter how remotely possible, WILL occur. 
   Personally, I adhere to the 1% theory: there are approximately 400 billion stars in our galaxy; if only 1% (4 billion) of those hold planets in their gravitational system; and if only 1% of those (40 million) have planets in the habitable zone; if only 1% (400,000) of those planets have the requisite life-sustaining elements; if only 1% (4000) of those have had, or will have, the necessary "jolt" to begin life of some type, that is still enough potential lifeforms in our galaxy alone, to fill a season of Star Trek.
   Just my 2 cent's worth, which is probably over-priced.

Akasha72 said:
I wouldn't say it interests me all that much but I am a strong believer that we are not alone. I few years ago I went with some friends to the coast to watch the dawn eclipse of the sun. We drove through the night and sat in a car park in the pitch black in our cars waiting for the dawn. Three of my friends went in search of a spot to answer the call of nature leaving me alone in my car and my friend alone in his. I was sat there looking up at the stars and thinking how beautiful it all was when I saw a bright light in the sky. I was just wondering what it could be when it shot across the sky. My first thought was 'oh, a shooting star' but then I saw it shining brightly again and it did the same thing. This time I kept my eye on it and it kept shooting across the sky. I looked to my friends car beside mine and he was watching it too. I wound down my window and called to him "we are not alone!" We both agreed it was weird and I'll admit sat alone in my car watching this strange thing did more than scare me a little! Ever since I've known for sure we are not the only living creature in the universe.
I've had very similar experiences with odd lights in the sky. I've seen lights as you said, glowing brighter, dimming, then moving locations. OR lights that move insanely fast and turning at what appeared to be perfect right angles then speeding off into the horizon never to be seen again... I'm not saying it's aliens necessarily, but these sights always leave me to wonder. 

twintanks said:
Been interested in astronomy since the age of 5. I haven't become a whizzkid mathematician as a result, but can generally find my way around the sky. 
IF you haven't already, I would recommend you download Google Sky Map on your phone. You can aim your phone in any direction and it'll show what planets, stars, galaxies, etc. are in the direction you're facing. I love this app, me and my girlfriend stand out in my backyard just mapping the sky. 

I actually have a story of witnessing a comet. Me, my girlfriend and her friends were walking through the football field on some movie night at the high school, we weren't interested so as the loners we are, we took the party with us. But just as we were walking out from the field. I looked up and just saw this marvelous, neon blue comet dart across the sky. I stood there in November air just frozen in awe. That one split second of astonishment felt like an hour, I don't know, honestly, I was just entirely frozen in time. I looked over to the other and all of them were just standing there as well, staring, mouths dropped. It was an amazing sight to witness, we had never seen anything like that before. 
Honestly, at first I thought it was missile or an attack... But glad that it was something cool. 

Akasha72 said:

Looking at it scientifically, I reckon the chances of us being the only sentient life in the universe are somewhere between nil and zero.

There are more stars in the universe than there are grains of sand. A recent report stated that there are potentially more Earth-like planets in the universe than there are grains of sand on all the beaches in the world. It also stated that our own galaxy has billions of potentially life-bearing planets. I'd say it was a near-certainty that there are other planets which sustain intelligent life.

Whether any of those other life-forms have actually taken the time to visit our planet is debatable.

I am in two camps about other planetary visitors.
1. Upon observing how humans interact with each other and other intelligent species on this planet, if you where a stranger would you risk exposing yourself to our collective ignorance and dangerous tendencies? Let alone want to trade in advanced technology (theirs not ours
wink.png
), of course there is the thought camp that the way humans have advanced so quickly in recent times is from such technology trades taking place.

2. The other is more along the lines of we are "livestock" and lets be honest most farmers only deal with their livestock when certain tasks have to be completed, eg drenching for parasites, mustering to move stock between paddocks, supplementary feeding in hard times, mustering for "harvesting" but for the most part the stock is left to its own devices.

But neither theory really answers the big question, namely where did life itself come from? Saying life came from outer space doesn't really answer it, it only pushes it further way. Its like a sales person in a shopping centre vaguely waving off in the distance and declaring "over there somewhere"

Baccus said:
I am in two camps about other planetary visitors.
1. Upon observing how humans interact with each other and other intelligent species on this planet, if you where a stranger would you risk exposing yourself to our collective ignorance and dangerous tendencies? Let alone want to trade in advanced technology (theirs not ours
wink.png
), of course there is the thought camp that the way humans have advanced so quickly in recent times is from such technology trades taking place.

2. The other is more along the lines of we are "livestock" and lets be honest most farmers only deal with their livestock when certain tasks have to be completed, eg drenching for parasites, mustering to move stock between paddocks, supplementary feeding in hard times, mustering for "harvesting" but for the most part the stock is left to its own devices.

But neither theory really answers the big question, namely where did life itself come from? Saying life came from outer space doesn't really answer it, it only pushes it further way. Its like a sales person in a shopping centre vaguely waving off in the distance and declaring "over there somewhere"
Do you mean the theory that explains that organic matter was brought to Earth by frozen water inside a comet? 

I mean however they deem that life of some description found its way to earth, be it a meteor, comet or dropped off by some passing ship. Just saying "life" began in outer space doesnt cut it in my book, because that spark that determines that a heart will keep beating, a body keep growing has to come from somewhere.

Life coming from outer space is what they call the "panspermia" theory. Thus organic life somehow landed on Earth, magically moved itself into suitable environments and then developed into plants, fish, reptiles, humans, etc. Irrespective of whether you believe in evolutionary theories or the creationist approach, life itself is a kind of "fire", a dynamo, a living thrusting spirit that defies analysis and also where it comes from.
@RBacon, as it happens I don't own a smartphone of any kind; I only bought a PAYG one last year and that was more for someone else's benefit than mine. I have Redshift 5 star-map software which I don't think will run on Windows 7; so it'll mean an upgrade or else a new program. Have toyed with the idea of trading in the Orion reflector for something like a Meade with a GoTo mount and associated software, which makes star location with the telescope a bit easier (specially when taking photos). However, that's just one of a number of nice materialistic things which might have to wait awhile
sad1.gif

The thought about our rapid technological advances being due to alien techno-deals is an interesting one, and certainly has a lot of people in that camp. Can't quite decide as yet what I think on that.

I live in Cornwall and with our relatively dark skies I can make good use of my 10" reflector. Since the end of last winter though it hasn't had much use as during the summer months there is not much darkenss to be had anywhere and this winter has just been rain, rain and more rain.

I often ponder on the Universe and it's mysteries. On the one hand there are many arguments proposing that we are the only sentient species in the Universe due to the myriad of coincidences and extinctions that were required to bring us into being and on the other hand is the sheer population of galaxy clusters in the known Universe seemingly making it impossible that we can possibly be alone. I favour the latter. If the Universe is infinite (open to discussion) then everything that can happen, WILL happen.

Having said that, I don't believe in an infinite universe since if it was infinite then the number of stars would be infinite and light from them would make the universe infinitely bright -- which it isn't.

Multiverse theory, hmmm.

Dark matter -- a scientific contrivance?

Dark energy -- ditto?

We are getting to the stage where not only do we not know, perhaps we cannot ever know -- I find that a little depressing.

ShinySideUp said:
I live in Cornwall and with our relatively dark skies I can make good use of my 10" reflector. Since the end of last winter though it hasn't had much use as during the summer months there is not much darkenss to be had anywhere and this winter has just been rain, rain and more rain.

I often ponder on the Universe and it's mysteries. On the one hand there are many arguments proposing that we are the only sentient species in the Universe due to the myriad of coincidences and extinctions that were required to bring us into being and on the other hand is the sheer population of galaxy clusters in the known Universe seemingly making it impossible that we can possibly be alone. I favour the latter. If the Universe is infinite (open to discussion) then everything that can happen, WILL happen.

Having said that, I don't believe in an infinite universe since if it was infinite then the number of stars would be infinite and light from them would make the universe infinitely bright -- which it isn't.

Multiverse theory, hmmm.

Dark matter -- a scientific contrivance?

Dark energy -- ditto?

We are getting to the stage where not only do we not know, perhaps we cannot ever know -- I find that a little depressing.
If the Universe isn't infinite... where does it end?

If you think about too much, you might begin to feel light headed. lol 

I do have a feeling we will never know the secrets of the universe, as in where it began,why it began, and how it began, at least we have an idea of when it began.
But the harder (or easier?) question is where will it end? The universe is an every expanding vast amount empty space, even if we did have the technology to travel faster than the speed of light and fly across the universe, who on Earth would volunteer for such a mission just to see where it ends (if it even ends). I don't think we'll ever leave our galaxy, even if we could. Unless someone has a death wish, but then again, you could say the same about the time we spent a man to the moon. It was a crazy idea then, and it's still somewhat a crazy idea now. But we managed to do it AND get him back alive...? But coming to the scale of our galaxy, let alone our solar system, is beyond us... for now at least. I mean, we still haven't made it to Mars, yet. We have a long way to go when it comes to discussing human space travel. 

Coming to the topic of extraterrestrial beings, I believe our answers lay within those Earth-like planets. The planets that haunt our dreams, they are capable of sustaining life, who knows what wild, crazy or unique creatures are on those planets. Think of the infinite possibilities of what plant life could be there. But what I wonder most of all, if there's anything there like her on Earth. Similar plants or animals?  And as I mentioned before, I wonder if there are any humanoid like creatures there. I kind of doubt that, but just imagine... cousins of ours from a distant world. This is where things begin to trickle down to what sounds like science-fiction. But there's an infinite amount of possibilities, WHO KNOWS!?

If any of you guys have a Steam account for the PC, check out Universe Sandbox2 , it's more of a simulator than a game, or not really a game at all. You can design your own planets, moons, stars, solar systems and galaxies. You're allowed to experiment with orbit patterns and collision of planets, pretty much anything you can think off. I built an entire mini-galaxy of about 580 different stars, a few were given some planets and moons (went to the limit of how much my computer could handle), you zoom out and you have a beautiful spiral galaxy. You can even view the stats of your planets such as the density, mass, temperature and so on. If you place a planet in just the right spot from the star it's orbiting (depending on what the planet is made of) over time (and you can fast forward time) you'll see lights beginning to appear around the planet if you look at it from the dark side, meaning your planet has inhabitants developing nicely. There's so much more to it than what I can explain, you should definitely check it out if you're interested. 

I'll have a look at that as I have a Steam account (TF2, Counter Strike (not so much now) and various other games as it's so much easier than buying a CD for PC).

As far as our actual knowledge is concerned, we are limited to the solar system as everyting else is hundreds of thousands of years away from us with our present technology. The only thing I can think we could do with regard to occupying other planets is to make our own and put it in orbit around one of the gas giants. If we made anything big enough to orbit the Sun it would threaten the orbital stability of all the planets and could seemingly destroy the solar systen as it stands.

We could do this (or terraform an existing moon) and eventually we would evolve into a different species but there is one giant caveat -- the Sun will only last so long so interstellar travel has to happen or the human race-- in whatever form -- is doomed.

Personally, I feel the sooner the human race dooms itself, the better for everything else, but that's another topic.

Most reactions

Back