Any nice footage of Lamb chop rasboras?

This food seems to be recommended a lot on websites, would you agree or would you recommend something else?
Anything with the first ingredient as fish meal or fish derivitives, your fish can do much better. I only learned about this very recently. Often, there doesn't even seem to be a price difference between the "standard" food and the "better" food.

Your fish will have tiny mouths, you could try to find micro granules like the one on my thread I just linked, or with other granules, I soak them in water to soften them if they are a bit difficult for the fish to grapple with.

I think you have some issues with delivery in your area though.

I agree. Hikari's ingredients aren't the best. If you can source it, Omega One's food is also highly rated, but it doesn't seem to be available in the UK. Ireland might be different.

In terms of ingredients, Hikari prepared foods are about as poor as you can get, and I would never feed these to my fish.

On the fish, what is the tank size (volume and dimensions length/width)? I couldn't see this anywhere in this thread. I'm asking because of the gouramis.

Anything with the first ingredient as fish meal or fish derivitives, your fish can do much better. I only learned about this very recently. Often, there doesn't even seem to be a price difference between the "standard" food and the "better" food.

Your fish will have tiny mouths, you could try to find micro granules like the one on my thread I just linked, or with other granules, I soak them in water to soften them if they are a bit difficult for the fish to grapple with.

I think you have some issues with delivery in your area though.
Yes, I have managed to find a single website (other than ebay) that posts to Ireland. So I can order these straight away with your approval? Bit of a silly question, but since it doesn't outright say it: I assume these are fine for freshwater/tropical fish?

Attachments

• IMG_20230909_174223.jpg
    IMG_20230909_174223.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20230909_174206.jpg
    IMG_20230909_174206.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 10
I agree. Hikari's ingredients aren't the best. If you can source it, Omega One's food is also highly rated, but it doesn't seem to be available in the UK. Ireland might be different.
I couldn't find any online, but I did manage to find Oase Organix as Alex suggested

In terms of ingredients, Hikari prepared foods are about as poor as you can get, and I would never feed these to my fish.

On the fish, what is the tank size (volume and dimensions length/width)? I couldn't see this anywhere in this thread. I'm asking because of the gouramis.

My tank is 105 L, 75 x 35 x 40 cm. With the substrate and everything I imagine the actual space is smaller.

My QT (which I doubt is cycled, as I kind of ignored it as I focused on the main one) is far smaller, right now the water volume is about 32 L. I don't know the dimensions for this.

1694278551423.png

1694278573284.png

My tank is 105 L, 75 x 35 x 40 cm. With the substrate and everything I imagine the actual space is smaller.

My QT (which I doubt is cycled, as I kind of ignored it as I focused on the main one) is far smaller, right now the water volume is about 32 L. I don't know the dimensions for this.

View attachment 326750
View attachment 326751

OK, that is basically a standard 29g with those dimensions. The dimensions are more important generally. The rasboras are OK, if you want 15 then get them all at once. Shoaling fish always settle in faster the more there are, one beenefit. And for those species that do have an hierarchy or territorial issues (these rasboras don't really, but gourami do) it is even more important. But the rasbora first is good.

I would reconsider the gourami. What other fish are you considering?

. So I can order these straight away with your approval?
No point getting my approval, because I need get essjay's approval. But on a serious note I think @Essjay would vouch for Oase Organix and possibly @Byron I don't know if anyone has an issue. Perhaps too much filler @Byron ? These are the ingredients in order; whole salmon, wheat germ, wheat flour, whole shrimp, whole herring, kelp, wheat gluten. Protein 37% Fat 12% However, fluval bug bites might be even better. Can you source that?

The same online shop has these as well!

They have quite a lot, including some frozen foods. I don't know if they would arrive frozen though

The same online shop has these as well!

They have quite a lot, including some frozen foods. I don't know if they would arrive frozen though
I've got a 45g tub, they will last you ages for the fish you have. I bet Byron votes for bug bites if he has seen it.

No point getting my approval, because I need get essjay's approval. But on a serious note I think @Essjay would vouch for Oase Organix and possibly @Byron I don't know if anyone has an issue. Perhaps too much filler @Byron ? These are the ingredients in order; whole salmon, wheat germ, wheat flour, whole shrimp, whole herring, kelp, wheat gluten. Protein 37% Fat 12% However, fluval bug bites might be even better. Can you source that?

From the posted photo of the ingredients, this looks OK. There is a limit to how much one can scientifically "dissect" foods, as TwoTankAmin mentioned somewhere. I first look for ingredients, and I want to see "whole" whatever, such as whole fish, whole herring, whole shrimp, etc. I do not want to see "meal" as in fish meal, shrimp meal, etc. All fish foods (so far as I have been advised) use cereals as binders, so they are inescapable in prepared/dry foods. You want them minimal as possibl, and this brand seems OK, as does Omega One and New Life Spectrum. There are undoubtedly others I do not know of. Third thing I look at is protein, keeping in mind that this depends upon what protein. But fish like Corydoras do not need much, and foods like Bug Bites that have 34% protein is more than adequate. This goes back to the issue of providing the right type/kind of food, as different fish have somewhat different needs. Though to be honest, something like Bug Bites is in my view #1 for all fish with the exception of herbivores. Insects and insect larvae are, according to reports of stomach contents of wild fish, the most common foods of most forest fish, which is what most of us keep. I'm not talking huge cichlids, but small characins, cyprinids, catfish, etc.

Get the ones that are 0.25 to 1.0 mm "for small tropical fish", do they have that one?

Another thing, it may be overall less expensive to buy larger packages, but fish foods do deteriorate. When I had my fish room I bought larger packages, took some out, and froze the rest. Then took out some to thaw as needed weeks later. But if you only have one tank, and remembering that variety in foods is best, buy the smallest package of each.

Yes, to say it again, Bug Bites is about the best prepared foods because it is insects (soldier fly) and insects form the primary food of forest fish (carnivores and omnivores).

Most reactions

Back