Any nice footage of Lamb chop rasboras?

NEON GREEN RASBORA
microdevario-kubotai

I saw these beauties in the fish store today. Tiny. You might not see it from the video but they were playing with each other quite a bit as well. That's one of my key requirements for fish, the interaction they have with each other! I also included the info on them. Video doesn't do them justice. I should have zoomed in properly.

I've got a group of those. They are lovely little fish (little being the word!). Just one word of caution about them - they have no fear of a siphon tube. You have to watch them every second during a water change. I use two siphons - the first is for cleaning the bottom of the tank and the second is just for removing water. I watch carefully when using the first but the second has net tied over the opening to keep the Microdevarios from getting too close and being sucked up.

NEON GREEN RASBORA
microdevario-kubotai

I saw these beauties in the fish store today. Tiny. You might not see it from the video but they were playing with each other quite a bit as well. That's one of my key requirements for fish, the interaction they have with each other! I also included the info on them. Video doesn't do them justice. I should have zoomed in properly.

Such beautiful little fish! I'm starting to gravitate towards them now and not the hengeli rasboras... Maybe some more research and I could consider them XD Maybe both are possible, rather not crowd the tank though.

Behaviour is the thing that I am looking for the most, as opposed to their appearance.
I'd love to have a very small fish (inch long maybe, like those rasboras) in a decent school that would school very closely. I know numbers and a good environment encourage that behaviour.

Better video

If you had to guess, what would you say the floating plants are in that video? Is it duckweed? I really really want some floating plants but I'm trying to find the one that would hypothetically be the least problematic in my tank (or that my tank could be the least problematic for it.)

I've got a group of those. They are lovely little fish (little being the word!). Just one word of caution about them - they have no fear of a siphon tube. You have to watch them every second during a water change. I use two siphons - the first is for cleaning the bottom of the tank and the second is just for removing water. I watch carefully when using the first but the second has net tied over the opening to keep the Microdevarios from getting too close and being sucked up.
They sound not at all bothered by your tank maintenance routine! Smart trick with the net, I'll remember that one. I like to imagine that if they did get siphoned by accident you could put them back into the tank without the stress affecting the fish too much. Although it depends on your siphon I guess

If you had to guess, what would you say the floating plants are in that video? Is it duckweed? I really really want some floating plants but I'm trying to find the one that would hypothetically be the least problematic in my tank (or that my tank could be the least problematic for it.)

Yes, that is duckweed. There are times when this is well worth having, primarily as a food for plant-eaters, but also in small tanks it does have a positive benefit on water, but the shade value is minimal. More substantial plants are better, Water Sprite, Frogbit, Water Lettuce are three I had good success with, and some stem plants grow well floating, like Pennywort. All forest fish dislike bright overhead light, so these plants greatly benefit not only the water quality (they are "ammonia sinks" but provide good shade.

I'd love to have a very small fish (inch long maybe, like those rasboras) in a decent school that would school very closely. I know numbers and a good environment encourage that behaviour.
Only thing is, not sure they are known to school too closely. What do you think @Essjay ??

Yes, that is duckweed. There are times when this is well worth having, primarily as a food for plant-eaters, but also in small tanks it does have a positive benefit on water, but the shade value is minimal. More substantial plants are better, Water Sprite, Frogbit, Water Lettuce are three I had good success with, and some stem plants grow well floating, like Pennywort. All forest fish dislike bright overhead light, so these plants greatly benefit not only the water quality (they are "ammonia sinks" but provide good shade.
I'm going to research the floating plants some more, I can always try duckweed if nothing else works for me. I was already hoping that my pennywort might grow large enough to reach the surface and offer some shade, but I will also look into stem plants that can grow floating.
The reason I asked about the duckweed in the video specifically is because I'm still not sure on the relationship that would be between the flow from my filter, airstone bar and the floating plants. I feel like there are so many benefits to floating plants.
As I've probably mentioned before there aren't any large areas of stillness on the water's surface and it seemed like still areas are important for floating plants.
Not much comes up in google in terms of how much flow is detrimental to floating plants. Since I have nothing else to compare my tank to, I have no idea how much flow my tank really has.

So seeing the duckweed in the video being almost thrown around by the flow of the filter, makes floating plants seem more possible. The only reason they don't is because my only experience with floating plants was confusing and stressful with them dying. When in comparison the other plants were doing so well.

I'm going to research the floating plants some more, I can always try duckweed if nothing else works for me. I was already hoping that my pennywort might grow large enough to reach the surface and offer some shade, but I will also look into stem plants that can grow floating.
The reason I asked about the duckweed in the video specifically is because I'm still not sure on the relationship that would be between the flow from my filter, airstone bar and the floating plants. I feel like there are so many benefits to floating plants.
As I've probably mentioned before there aren't any large areas of stillness on the water's surface and it seemed like still areas are important for floating plants.
Not much comes up in google in terms of how much flow is detrimental to floating plants. Since I have nothing else to compare my tank to, I have no idea how much flow my tank really has.

So seeing the duckweed in the video being almost thrown around by the flow of the filter, makes floating plants seem more possible. The only reason they don't is because my only experience with floating plants was confusing and stressful with them dying. When in comparison the other plants were doing so well.

The movement of the duckweed in this video is as much as you want or need, and maybe less would be better. But it doesn't look that much, but who can tell. One thing about this hobby is that being in front of any aquarium allows one to see the factors much better than any number of photos or videos.

Microdevario kubotai do not school tightly - well mine don't. They are all over the tank, except when I'm cleaning it when they all come to watch :rolleyes:

This is a 107 cm long tank (odd measurement but the tank builder worked in Imperial so it's 42 inches or 3 1/2 feet). They share it with harlequin rasboras, cherry barbs and a lone pearl gourami (the rest have died).

Microdevario kubotai do not school tightly - well mine don't. They are all over the tank, except when I'm cleaning it when they all come to watch :rolleyes:

This is a 107 cm long tank (odd measurement but the tank builder worked in Imperial so it's 42 inches or 3 1/2 feet). They share it with harlequin rasboras, cherry barbs and a lone pearl gourami (the rest have died).
They sound like such entertaining fish, so full of personality!

Last suggestion and I'll stop. And actually, you know exactly what you are doing and you research everything so well. Don't let me deviate your good plans. Maybe this is more showing off mine! But these fella's are white fin bentosi tetra. You said you want fish more for behaviour. I took this clip earlier. The males of this group are quite something. Always showing off and displaying to each other. I took this while lying on my bed and was too lazy to get up. I was watching them do this for 10 minutes solid and they were doing it non stop. As soon as I started filming they stopped! Once the clip gets to about 0.34 nothing really happens after that.

This one is a better picture of them and the tank in context, including about frogbit and flow rate. Also sorry rebe, but @Byron At the end of the clip I have asked you something about the corydoras please

I might have this at the wrong angle. Can I change the angle or too late now? For those that know about taking videos on your phone!

This one is a better picture of them and the tank in context, including about frogbit and flow rate. Also sorry rebe, but @Byron At the end of the clip I have asked you something about the corydoras please

I might have this at the wrong angle. Can I change the angle or too late now? For those that know about taking videos on your phone!

Yes, the video was on its side but I managed to see what you were talking about. The surface disturbance is in my view fine for these fish. The vegetable food I would probably reduce, one disk placed in the same spot each time. The cories do not have teeth so they cannot rasp this food, and I doubt they are actually eating much if any of it.

Most reactions

Back