My planted 105L Tank (28-29 Gal) and related questions

The algae is much more likely due to the light being too much, which can be intensity or duration or both. I would deal with the duration first, and reduce it. You recently raised it when you saw the algae, but I would suspect it should have been reduced. Seven hours may be sufficient. Remember this is not isolated, the light has to be balanced with available nutrients, and this balance has to be sufficient for the plant species. You do not have fish yet, so that also makes a big difference. Ammonia will be more when fish are present, both from their respiration and the decomposition of their waste in the substrate, and plants will readily grab all of this fast. There is also the plant substrate again, this is probably doing something.
If you were in my shoes, what would you reduce the light to? 5 hours?

@Byron I'm still worried about the algae we talked about, the fish will be okay with this brown hair algae right?

Problem algae does not directly affect fish. It is more risky for plants if they become covered with it. It does suggest an imbalance, and this could include organics, so indirectly it can alert us to possible issues. Which is why we want to keep it under control. See my post #15 above.

If you were in my shoes, what would you reduce the light to? 5 hours?

Go back down to seven hours. Remember that any change you make to lighting or fertilizer takes a few days to take effect with results, so give it time. Seven hours worked for me, but every aquarium is different. You can go down to six hours after a couple weeks if this doesn't help. But once fish are in, and now with the floating plants, this will probably make quite a difference without further reducing the light. But I would go back to seven now.

How many hours is it on again normally or recently?
It was probably about 8 hours, (what with me turning on lights to have a look at my new floating plants quite frequently)
I won't do that any more after tomorrow, it would probably shock the fish

Problem algae does not directly affect fish. It is more risky for plants if they become covered with it. It does suggest an imbalance, and this could include organics, so indirectly it can alert us to possible issues. Which is why we want to keep it under control. See my post #15 above.

Go back down to seven hours. Remember that any change you make to lighting or fertilizer takes a few days to take effect with results, so give it time. Seven hours worked for me, but every aquarium is different. You can go down to six hours after a couple weeks if this doesn't help. But once fish are in, and now with the floating plants, this will probably make quite a difference without further reducing the light. But I would go back to seven now.
I'll stay at seven and stop interfering with it for a while. It might settle with the floating plants and the fish tomorrow. Thank you for your advice Byron :)

I've been well Slack on my light times and have probably got away with it a bit, but my onion plants have broad leaves and some are attracting algae but the algae is green, not brown (not sure that matters?) I need to read up. Anyway my ancistrus (bristlenose) like/need algae in their diet, and i see them on the onion plants munching it, but I need to be more disciplined with lights. I've found myself having them on for 12 hours somedays, not intentionally, but through bad organistion

I hope this is not hijacking but quickly, what might have saved me is so many thriving frogbit and my drift wood and almond leaf with tannins. When I change my water, the old water is almost the same colour as a weak cup of tea 🍵

I've been well Slack on my light times and have probably got away with it a bit, but my onion plants have broad leaves and some are attracting algae but the algae is green, not brown (not sure that matters?) I need to read up. Anyway my ancistrus (bristlenose) like/need algae in their diet, and i see them on the onion plants munching it, but I need to be more disciplined with lights. I've found myself having them on for 12 hours somedays, not intentionally, but through bad organistion

You need a timer, this is a serious issue for fish.

Since I'm giving the algae time to sort itself out, but also want my plants to have the best chances I found something that's easy and helps a little. I have one of those aquarium turkey basters, and I gently shoot water at any leaves that have a layer of algae. It gets most of it off and doesn't disturb the sand because it's so gentle.

Update:
My fish are in! 14 Hengeli rasboras, they seem happy to me so far. I can attach some nice pictures when I've turned my lights on :D

Most reactions

Back