Amazon community aquarium

Lovely discus, they are a great fish and after an absence of not keeping them for years I am more and more thinking of going back. Your's look really healthy too and a good quality.
When I watched the video I kept thinking that tank needs plants but then read the comments ha ha. I hate keeping plants as I never have much success with them but currently I have java fern which has flourished for 2/3 years with no algae on and I had success when discus keeping with giant vallis

The corys are a great addition, I had a shoal of about 15 when I kept discus and they add really cool movement to the tank and look like a little gang and they spawn readily too once mature

Love it

Nice tank! We have gotten into a subculture here of heavily planted tanks. I’m not an expert on what the fish prefer but I think it’s refreshing to see something different.
Thanks for plug. In my opinion, planted tanks are more for the keeper than the fish. Most people find plants very attractive. Most fish couldn't care less. In the aquatic world, plants are the exception not the rule.

Lovely discus, they are a great fish and after an absence of not keeping them for years I am more and more thinking of going back. Your's look really healthy too and a good quality.
When I watched the video I kept thinking that tank needs plants but then read the comments ha ha. I hate keeping plants as I never have much success with them but currently I have java fern which has flourished for 2/3 years with no algae on and I had success when discus keeping with giant vallis

The corys are a great addition, I had a shoal of about 15 when I kept discus and they add really cool movement to the tank and look like a little gang and they spawn readily too once mature

Love it
Thanks for the plug. I agree. Corys are a wonderful little fish. I'm also very fond of the cardinal tetras, one of my favorite tetras. Another really nice species that seems to be overlooked is the serpae tetra. If I didn't have the cardinals, I'd have serpaes. For some reason they've gotten a knock as a "nippy" fish. I've never seen that to be the case. On the contrary, they seem to get along with everyone and they're both curious and playful, not to mention colorful.

Thanks for plug. In my opinion, planted tanks are more for the keeper than the fish. Most people find plants very attractive. Most fish couldn't care less. In the aquatic world, plants are the exception not the rule.
I'm not certain this is true for all types of fish. It really depends on the natural habitat of the species whether or not they would like plants. Typically the plants would make the fish feel safe, espcially if you have a community tank and there are fish that like to hide from other fish, for example neon tetras.

I'm not certain this is true for all types of fish. It really depends on the natural habitat of the species whether or not they would like plants. Typically the plants would make the fish feel safe, espcially if you have a community tank and there are fish that like to hide from other fish, for example neon tetras.
If you read carefully, I didn't say ALL fish, I said most. That's just a fact, not an opinion. You're absolutely correct in that you have to provide places of refuge for smaller fish, like neons or tetras. That doesn't mean it has to be plants. I've attached one link to a video of smaller fish in their natural habitat (there are others if you care to look).

You will notice that the ONLY plants you see are in an aquarium (excepting the brown algae covered driftwood: algae are plants, but not what most people want in their aquarium).

Most reactions

Back