5Ft Tank Build

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Okay sorry I'm totally insane, but I had a lull of time at work and did some googling...

And in case anyone doesn't want to spend a ton of money for epoxy resin or spend a month rinsing a DIY background, Plasti Dip is very inexpensive, comes in clear, and creates an impermeable, rubber-like seal coating. (No, I don't work for Plasti Dip.) I emailed the company, and they responded within a couple of hours to say the product is food-safe and freshwater aquarium-safe (they said they would get back to me about saltwater). It's completely non-toxic when dry and also flexible and has been tested from -30 F to 200 F. Unfortunately, I was raised in the states and they don't teach us how to convert to Celsius, but I think that would cover any temperature range for a fish tank lol. I'm going to check it out and will make a separate post once I do.

Don't know if it's available outside the U.S.

I'm looking forward to seeing this in the tank! looks awesome so far! 
biggrin.png

Ok i posted to this and the post has disappeared lol

Eduller - I bought a tin of Plasti Dip today, certainly not cheap here. Have given the background 1 coat. I'm waiting a few hours and will then silicone it into the tank, render the joins and give 3 more full length coats. What i like is the 4 hour curing time!
Now i have hit a snag though, i bought the last tin lol So i have to wait til their new order arrives next week sometime to finish it off.

I will say, loving the fact of being able to spray it on and it is NOT a foam eater (many epoxy, pond sealers etc are). I will update how it goes

christylee - It will be in tank today (not filled though, as above i need to get more sealer)

This just got siliconed in....only 2 1/2 tubes used but it is totally jammed in there lol It aint going anywhere fast! I will get to rendering all the joins today, then get a coat of sealer onto it. Wont be able to finish until they get more of the sealer in stock, I took the last tin, it should be here next week though...finally getting there

Looking awesome & can't wait to see it wet! :D

Me too Nin!!

So i've now rendered the joins, need to let it cure some before i detail it

Oh man! Plasti Dip is super cheap here! It looks great though!

Looks super awesome will be following for sure.  Can we get a top down view of the tank to see how everything works behind it?

When i get the gear behind and setup, i'll grab a pic to show y'all

Detailed the joins, will get a new pic tomorrow. Gotta get the light from the shed for the tank, too dark to get a pic now....theni will be able to see if i need to detail more to blend it in or if its right to go.

It will need to sit a few days to cure the render, the weather has cooled down, and this is extending the drying time

Words of wisdom lol - - - When mixing colour into render write down oxide/render/water ratios!!!

Lesson learnt, background will be a bit different due to me NOT writing down the ratios and not being able to match the colour to my satisfaction. Sooooo new batch made and a hodgepodge new coating it got, sorta lol. You'll see once the new render has dried and i can again detail. 
Tunnel rocks also now re-coated to match!

:lol: Oops! I'm sure it'll still look great though.
Can't wait to see pics!

Nope....still waiting for the sealer to come back into stock :)

Most reactions

Back