488l Mega Nano

Thanx Seffie, slowly getting there but a long way to go,lol...

Decided to put up a few shots from the early days ..didn't always go so well

IMGP0549.jpg

Diatoms dying back and algae taking over

IMGP0617.jpg

hair and bryopsis algae take over

IMGP0651.jpg

one week after 5 blue knuckles set to work

IMGP0755.jpg

blue knuckle tucking in

IMGP0705.jpg

emerald added

IMGP0951.jpg

IMGP1006.jpg

about three months in and with cuc and raised Mg lvl got to here

IMGP1893.jpg

Eventually about 6 months in

IMGP5595.jpg

Coneshell/halloween hermits, known to eat cyno..

Cerith snails and a sand sifter starfish were also added to keep the sand turned over as well, this helps to keep it clean

Yeah , I know that a lot of people get algae explosions at stages and thought it might help others to see that with time, patience, a bit of work and the help of our clean up crews you can get in taken under control...but remember....it does take time, wont happen in just a few weeks

Thank you for sharing succession photos :) I've been pondering adding a few hermits to my tank mostly because they look kinda cool. I haven't really battled any major algea...yet. Fingers crossed. However I'm afraid to add them. I don't want them tramping on my small frags :( I do LOVE the look of the halloween hermits especially.

Very nice current tank shots too. Lots of growth. A flame angel is something I really want but I'm also scared to add it. Don't want it to eat my corals. Afraid the one I get will be the one to eat them :rolleyes: Maybe I'll have to buy one of divers den. They have them eating prepared foods already. May have a lot better shot?? Perhaps. What do you feed yours? Any angel formulas?

Make sure he is the last fish you add because they can be very cheeky...if the other fish are settled first this should solve the problem of torturing any new arrivals.
I feed hikari marine granuals, several flakes for variety and a lot more frozen that a lot would recomend ( brineshrimp, mysis, small krill, occasionally rotifers and cyclops), as well now adding algae on a clip .
He has started picking at the scoly recently but doing it no real damage.
It is a good idea to buy one that an lfs keeps with corals as this one was, then you can put a deposit and watch it for a while, picking up in a few days and look to see if he has done any damage.

Edge of scoly mate...oooo been cutting and moving gorgs cos got monti into big puddle so i owe you half a box of milliput,lol..

o thanks :) My lfs won't let us put a deposit to hold it for any period of days. It's pretty much either buy it or leave it. The only time they'll hold a fish is if you come in see something you want and can't take it at the minute. They'll hold it until the end of the day and if you don't return by closing then it's up for sale again the next morning.

After another day of poking about and rearranging....

IMGP6566.jpg

IMGP6560.jpg

Cut back rusty gorg to allow for monipora and plced frags below zoas, looking for that wild look,lol...

Tanks looking great. Brilliant colours & lovely fish..... thats al I ever seem to write on these journals :unsure:

PS buddyboy I got myself a nice Ric frag yesterday :shifty:

Tanks looking great. Brilliant colours & lovely fish..... thats al I ever seem to write on these journals :unsure:

PS buddyboy I got myself a nice Ric frag yesterday :shifty:

Talking about getting a bargain - notice you haven't told us about your new purchases Buddy from Colin :drool:

Seffie x

:fish:

Most reactions

Back