Random Discussion

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

One of the best pizzas I ever had was at Chicago O'Hare airport. One of the worst baked potatoes I ever had was at Glasgow International.

This came out when I was 15, and it was really popular then, and now that I'm a "mature woman" all these years later, the advice resonates even more. So much wisdom encased in this charming and odd production that us older folks have had to learn these lessons, or are still working on learning these lessons!

It's brilliant, and I highly recommend watching and listening to it at least once. To the youth, and anyone of any age! It's one that's worth revisiting now and again.

OK, so I'm a bit of a science geek and years ago was much more more so. LOL! That said be prepared for some rather off the wall thoughts. ;)

Has it ever dawned on you how similar macro and micro systems are basically the same as to structure?

Think of a solar system with a single sun and one planet. Is it not the exact same structure of a hydrogen atom with one proton and one electron? Even though oxygen has 8 protons and neutrons they still form a single nucleus with 8 electrons. Of course oxygen only counts if you don’t think of Pluto as an actual planet as many say. If you do believe that Pluto is an actual planet then out solar system would match an atom of fluorine. Now one may say that they are not the same structure as the electrons in an atom are all the same distance from the nucleus/sun but that is not at all true as electrons DO orbit at different distances even though some groups of electrons may orbit at the same distance but then think of the asteroid belt in our own solar system between Mars and Jupiter.

Then think of molecules and multiple star systems such as binary and trinary suns with planets orbiting each sun. Do not such solar systems have a pretty direct relation to a molecule?

The point is really that regardless if talking an atom or a solar system they follow the same basic structure which, for some quirk in my mental nature, I find a bit fascinating.

P.S. Ya, I often have pretty odd trains of thought… 😉

Yeah, the "lesser particles orienting to and orbiting around a central cluster" does repeat again and again in nature. Atoms, solar systems, galaxies, middle school peer groups...

OK, so I'm a bit of a science geek and years ago was much more more so. LOL! That said be prepared for some rather off the wall thoughts. ;)

Has it ever dawned on you how similar macro and micro systems are basically the same as to structure?

Think of a solar system with a single sun and one planet. Is it not the exact same structure of a hydrogen atom with one proton and one electron? Even though oxygen has 8 protons and neutrons they still form a single nucleus with 8 electrons. Of course oxygen only counts if you don’t think of Pluto as an actual planet as many say. If you do believe that Pluto is an actual planet then out solar system would match an atom of fluorine. Now one may say that they are not the same structure as the electrons in an atom are all the same distance from the nucleus/sun but that is not at all true as electrons DO orbit at different distances even though some groups of electrons may orbit at the same distance but then think of the asteroid belt in our own solar system between Mars and Jupiter.

Then think of molecules and multiple star systems such as binary and trinary suns with planets orbiting each sun. Do not such solar systems have a pretty direct relation to a molecule?

The point is really that regardless if talking an atom or a solar system they follow the same basic structure which, for some quirk in my mental nature, I find a bit fascinating.

P.S. Ya, I often have pretty odd trains of thought… 😉

So, solar systems and galaxies are all two dimensional (pretty much). I've always assumed that they couldn't work in three dimensions. So are atoms two dimensional in the same way?

Good question and, to be honest, I'm not sure but believe that atoms are 3D.
Atoms, solar systems and galaxies are 3D unless you are referring to the holographic theory of the universe posited by a school of astronomers.

Atoms, solar systems and galaxies are 3D unless you are referring to the holographic theory of the universe posited by a school of astronomers.
I believe that the reference as to 2D was not meant literally but in reference to their solar systems, etc. being more disk shaped than spherical.

I've been playing Vivaldi's "The Four Seasons" for my kindergarteners, and letting them use their imaginations to draw what the music sounds like to them. For "Summer," amid all the blooming flowers, stick-figure soccer games, and thunder storms, one little boy just drew a picture of someone watching TV. It made me sad.

I've been playing Vivaldi's "The Four Seasons" for my kindergarteners, and letting them use their imaginations to draw what the music sounds like to them. For "Summer," amid all the blooming flowers, stick-figure soccer games, and thunder storms, one little boy just drew a picture of someone watching TV. It made me sad.
He drew a picture of someone watching TV . I wonder what people in the future , however many years from now , will think of a society that sat watching pictures on a box and staring at phones . I’m playing with an iPad right now so I’m guilty too but we’re wasting ourselves . Our minds are turning to mush because the TV’s and gadgets don’t stimulate our intelligence . An example - my iPad recently decided to automatically check my spelling and anticipate the next word I might want and display it and all I have to do is click and type away . It is faster that way but it is making me lazy . If I run two words together without proper spacing it will fix that too . I try to ignore it but sometimes I let my guard down . I do a handwritten journal every day with a fountain pen . I have to think about what I write and concentrate on my penmanship , spelling and punctuation . That’s saving me from becoming a complete automaton .

He drew a picture of someone watching TV . I wonder what people in the future , however many years from now , will think of a society that sat watching pictures on a box and staring at phones . I’m playing with an iPad right now so I’m guilty too but we’re wasting ourselves . Our minds are turning to mush because the TV’s and gadgets don’t stimulate our intelligence . An example - my iPad recently decided to automatically check my spelling and anticipate the next word I might want and display it and all I have to do is click and type away . It is faster that way but it is making me lazy . If I run two words together without proper spacing it will fix that too . I try to ignore it but sometimes I let my guard down . I do a handwritten journal every day with a fountain pen . I have to think about what I write and concentrate on my penmanship , spelling and punctuation . That’s saving me from becoming a complete automaton .
I hear what you say but there is another side. Video games are actually used to improve the quality of life for some with disabilities for two basic reasons. Of course not all games fit into this.

1) On the physical level video games can help improve eye hand coordination.
2) On the mental level multi player interactive games of some types are used to help with social interaction and communication.

Still you bring up very valid things and I am also guilty

One possible future emerges where everyone has embedded neurolinks. We will down load all knowledge, skills and languages. There will be a select few who refuse this bionic fusion and they will maintain the old ways. They will live apart. There will be no place for Luddites in the “brave new world “.

Most reactions

Back