Random Discussion

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

There's a popeyes just opened around here. It just looks like thickly sugared chicken to me.

I never ate at Chic Fil A but the one in my local shopping center always has a long line of cars at the drive through. And I mean a ridiculously long line that can block traffic. Why did Chic Fil A cross the road?

A Popeye's would be fine with me but I'd prefer KFC. Don't have ether here.
When I lived in Saratoga Spring in the early 70s I use to frequent a place called Haddies’ Chicken Shack. It was a tiny restaurant with about 6 tables. Haddie was a sweet Black women in her 70s cooking each meal in real time, frying the chicken in a cast iron skillet. The chicken was served alongside collard greens and sweet potatoes. I never had better fried chicken. The good old fashioned way.

When I lived in Saratoga Spring in the early 70s I use to frequent a place called Haddies’ Chicken Shack. It was a tiny restaurant with about 6 tables. Haddie was a sweet Black women in her 70s cooking each meal in real time, frying the chicken in a cast iron skillet. The chicken was served alongside collard greens and sweet potatoes. I never had better fried chicken. The good old fashioned way.
Oh.my I do remember the place. Do you remember the Greek at Spa City Diner? Had my first serious date at The Trade Winds.

I LOVE fried chicken! Church's is also pretty good. If you are traveling and go in a truck stop (also, at least here at some town gas stations) you MAY see boxes of Chester's fried chicken. It is also pretty good. While Church's and Popeye's is good I prefer KFC largely due to the larger variety of their menu.

Here in Sheridan WY, if I want fried chicken, I actually get it from my local grocery store, Albertson's. From past experience I've found that grocery store deli fried chicken tends to be dry and bland but Albertson's is different. Theirs is juicy and quite flavorful. I know a lady that works in their deli and asked about it. I expected that it came in already prepped and frozen but it turned out that they actually do it from scratch in the store. An 8 piece order with 2 sides is just $11.00.

Saratoga Springs?
All the cheap buses to NYC from Montreal ran overnight, and stopped at Saratoga Springs for a loooooong time. I have so many vague impressions of that town, eating somewhere or other before McDonald's got the bus traffic, and usually freezing in the wee hours. I still don't know why we had to eat in the middle of the night. It made sense at the time, I guess.

There's a large KFC beside the airport in Libreville, Gabon. It was the only American anything other than one chain hotel I saw in the whole trip in Central Africa. I didn't go in.

There's a large KFC beside the airport in Libreville, Gabon. It was the only American anything other than one chain hotel I saw in the whole trip in Central Africa. I didn't go in.
I remember the first KFC I ever had, well not the exact meal but the place. This was probably around 1960 and the KFC was takeout only attached to the diner restaurant Manners Big Boy. Every Friday night was a movie night hosted by a REALLY weird guy that, in the hosting, went as Goulardi. Sort of think of Elvira but a weird guy that liked blowing up model cars with firecrackers. Anyway it was either KFC or pizza from a local place called Biagios for the movie. It was a sort of minor tradition.

Actually Manners Big Boy served one of the best diner ham and cheese sandwiches I've ever had called the "Big Slim Jim". They also had some of the best fries, onion rings and shakes I've had from a chain place. At the time I was in a bowling league and we would go there after bowling. It was one of those places where you pulled in and placed your order through an intercom and they would bring it out on a tray that hung on your car door. Sort of like today's Sonic fast food but better quality. They also had inside dining.

As to airport food I've been in several airports but not a real lot. Some I've been in are Cleveland Hopkins, Cincinnati. San Diego and Seatac ( Seattle/Tacoma). By far Seatac was the best as to variety and quality as to their food court. Want oriental, Greek, Italian, Indian or just a burrito or burger? Seatac has it all and all is really good. Want a 10 ounce rib eye medium rare with a loaded baked tater and another side? Seatac has that too. Haven't been to Seatac since 2008 but, at that time, the prices were not even inflated.

Fantastic. I can’t believe it is still open. I saw Don McLean there and many less famous folk back in the early 70s.
Lena died some time ago but a foundation was created and it is not only still open but still on Phila St. Tin and Lint is still there too. Gone are the office and the Hub as well as Lillian’s and The Firehouse. Saratoga has lost much of its charm unless one is into large chains and wicked pricing.
Gotta love the track though. The Belmont is running here this year and next.

There's a fast food fries/chips place in Amsterdam airport that was brilliant. You don't expect much in an airport. It was great. It explained why so many Dutch people seemed to be nine feet tall. If those were your fast food, no wonder they're such good aquarists.

When I was a kid, KFC was the first US fast food to open in our town. That bright green coleslaw they had looked Martian. Fried chicken was new to us. The big thing here at the time was rotisserie barbecue chicken. A&W came in next, and McDo was about 5 years later. It's been downhill from there.

I got to do a couple of readings into a big silver 1940s microphone at what had been Montreal's pre-hippy folk club. Me and Bob Dylan - same mike, a few years apart. 2 of the guys from the Monkees has used it too, and I used to needle the hippies by saying I was more impressed by that than Dylan.

Most reactions

Back