Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I just did a water test n this are the results

PH ......................7.6
High Range PH ..8.0
Nitrite ...............0
Nitrate ...............5.0
Ammonia ...........1.0

On saturday i did a 40% water change after these test results .

The ammonia was 0.50 and nitrates 0 n nitrite 0 ph both 7.6

After the new test should I do a new water change so soon ?

I would. Are you over feeding?
I really don't know anymore. I'm so frustrated with this tank that I don't even know what I'm doing anymore.

I feed em twice. Once in the morning around 6 am n last time at 6 pm

Is that too much ?

I really don't know anymore. I'm so frustrated with this tank that I don't even know what I'm doing anymore.

I feed em twice. Once in the morning around 6 am n last time at 6 pm

Is that too much ?
People on the forum do things differently regarding feeding. I feed once in the morning every other day. It’s not only the frequency but the amount per feeding. Be stingy. A hungry fish is a healthy fish. Someone on the forum told me that and in my experience it’s true.

One other thing. Do you know for certain your tank is fully cycled? I have not followed the entire thread.

If the tank is doing a fish in cycle, reduce feeding to once a day. You can feed them more often after the filter has developed the good bacteria.

I like to do a water change any time there is an ammonia reading above 0ppm. If the ammonia is 1ppm and the pH is above 7.0, the ammonia is going to be quite toxic so a big water change now would help reduce the damage being done to the fish.

People on the forum do things differently regarding feeding. I feed once in the morning every other day. It’s not only the frequency but the amount per feeding. Be stingy. A hungry fish is a healthy fish. Someone on the forum told me that and in my experience it’s true.
Ok I guess I'm gonna start feeding them only once every other day like you do n see what happens.

I'm sorry bout my questions but I'm so frustrated that I'm feeling dumb now.
One other thing. Do you know for certain your tank is fully cycled? I have not followed the entire thread.
No I don't think it is. We did the stupid thing of cycling fishless for only 3 days n then we added like 10 fish

If the tank is doing a fish in cycle, reduce feeding to once a day. You can feed them more often after the filter has developed the good bacteria.

I like to do a water change any time there is an ammonia reading above 0ppm. If the ammonia is 1ppm and the pH is above 7.0, the ammonia is going to be quite toxic so a big water change now would help reduce the damage being done to the fish.
Ok thank you I will do that

I would also add a bottle of Tetra Safe Start Plus or a similar patented nitrifying bacteria cocktail. It will accelerate cycling.
This is what I got for bacteria. After a water change should I pour only 1 kind or I can add both ?

This is what I got for bacteria. After a water change should I pour only 1 kind or I can add both ?
In desperation I once used both Tetra and a Fluval bacteria product when I made a rookie mistake. It worked out.

I just did a water test n this are the results

PH ......................7.6
High Range PH ..8.0
Nitrite ...............0
Nitrate ...............5.0
Ammonia ...........1.0

On saturday i did a 40% water change after these test results .

The ammonia was 0.50 and nitrates 0 n nitrite 0 ph both 7.6

After the new test should I do a new water change so soon ?
Yeah be prepared for lots of water changes while the cycle fully establishes, it's a pain but you will get there!

You'll also get to know how much food is enough in time so don't beat yourself up too much, reduce it and see how it goes, can always up it if needed.

Yeah be prepared for lots of water changes while the cycle fully establishes, it's a pain but you will get there!

You'll also get to know how much food is enough in time so don't beat yourself up too much, reduce it and see how it goes, can always up it if needed.
Thank you my friend. I will do that

Once a day is sufficient for a cycled tank.
Wouldn't he benefit from even less frequent feedings? Like once every two or three days. Wouldn't that create less bio load until the cycle completes? Most fish don't really need to eat more often than that.

Most reactions

Back