Cloudiness

Tyler777

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey guys, I started fishless cycling a 10 gallons aquarium to use it as a quarantine tank for when I get new fish.
After putting the decorations n gravel I filled it up with water n the only things I added to it was water conditioner, starting bacteria and some dry food to create ammonia for the bacteria.
For 3 or 4 days the water was crystal clear now is cloudy.

Any idea why ?

If you are able to get real ammonia to do your cycle it would be better. Like Fritz Ammonium Chloride.

The dry food will not only feed the beneficial bacteria, It will also feed other less desirable ones.

The decoration you used, are they artificial or they are natural wood and rocks ? if so, wood and botanicals can also contribute to bacterial or fungal blooming.

At the moment you can use filter floss to reduce it. also a little over oxygenation is a good idea. and if a surface film builds up, remove it regularly.

But don't worry too much about cloudiness, things become ugly during a fishless cycle, it's normal and it's the right time to go trough blooms and establish a good bio foundation without danger.

If you are able to get real ammonia to do your cycle it would be better. Like Fritz Ammonium Chloride.

The dry food will not only feed the beneficial bacteria, It will also feed other less desirable ones.

The decoration you used, are they artificial or they are natural wood and rocks ? if so, wood and botanicals can also contribute to bacterial or fungal blooming.

At the moment you can use filter floss to reduce it. also a little over oxygenation is a good idea. and if a surface film builds up, remove it regularly.

But don't worry too much about cloudiness, things become ugly during a fishless cycle, it's normal and it's the right time to go trough blooms and establish a good bio foundation without danger.

The decoration are plastic ones from petsmart.
How do I increase oxygen flow ?

Also , I have a cloudiness problem in my 46 g aquarium n it's been going since I started it 3 weeks ago.
I got a tetra anti cloudiness from petsmart n it made the water 2 time clo more clouded. So I had to do a water change.
Then I look online for a netter anti cloudiness product and 3 different websites n they recommended " acutely f " I used it n nothing cleared up

You can add an air stone to help with surface agitation... For you cycling tank.

Whatever the source of cloudiness (new substrate dust, bacterial, algae...) Filter floss is always excellent. With a little of your anti cloudiness product it should work well.

These products cause more cloudiness at first because they provoke clumping of particles. But these have more chances to get caught by your filtration system in the short run.

The decoration are plastic ones from petsmart.
How do I increase oxygen flow ?

Also , I have a cloudiness problem in my 46 g aquarium n it's been going since I started it 3 weeks ago.
I got a tetra anti cloudiness from petsmart n it made the water 2 time clo more clouded. So I had to do a water change.
Then I look online for a netter anti cloudiness product and 3 different websites n they recommended " acutely f " I used it n nothing cleared up
Every time I cycle a new tank, I get a period of cloudiness that can last from days to a few weeks. I’ve never treated it, and it has always resolved on its own.

The cloudiness is a bacterial bloom. It will pass.
This is how it was explained to me. These are different bacteria than the ones in the nitrogen cycle. When we dechlorinate the water, that allows them to proliferate. I think these bacteria feed on carbon. But soon the population crashes and the water clears up again.

You can add an air stone to help with surface agitation... For you cycling tank.

Whatever the source of cloudiness (new substrate dust, bacterial, algae...) Filter floss is always excellent. With a little of your anti cloudiness product it should work well.

These products cause more cloudiness at first because they provoke clumping of particles. But these have more chances to get caught by your filtration system in the short run.
Oh ok, thanks man

Most reactions

Back