Chemical to add after adding fish

Tyler777

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi, 20 years ago when I used to have a 75 gallons tank I remember the local mom n pops fish store owner told me that bfore adding fish into an fully cycled tank with fish in it I should add ( some chemical ) to avoid the tank residents to get sick if the new ones were . I can't remember what chemical was.

Any of you have an idea bout what chemical that could be ?

It's not a chemical. But what you want to do is quarantine new fish for 4-6 weeks before adding them to your main tank. That way you can see if any illnesses develop in the new comers without risking your fish.

Quarantine doesn't have to be in an actual aquarium. You can use a plastic bin. It will still need filtration and heat.
I have a spare tank I use. Cheap sponge filter that I don't mind throwing away if an illness develops. Play sand substrate because that's cheap enough to be disposable. Plastic plants and PVC pipe fittings for the fish to explore and hide in that area easily disinfected later. I add hornwort or salvinia minima to help the water quality. Those grow so fast that I don't mind throwing it away after the quarantine. Plenty more where they came from.

Last edited:
It's not a chemical. But what you want to do is quarantine new fish for 4-6 weeks before adding them to your main tank. That way you can see if any illnesses develop in the new comers without risking your fish.
Ok that makes sense but I remember that I used to add that chemical n for at least 2 years I never had a fish dying n no ick no illness for the same time. But I will do the quarantine I'm already fishless cycling a 10 gallons tank to b a hospital tank

Ok that makes sense but I remember that I used to add that chemical n for at least 2 years I never had a fish dying n no ick no illness for the same time. But I will do the quarantine I'm already fishless cycling a 10 gallons tank to b a hospital tank
That could have also just been luck.

Hi, 20 years ago when I used to have a 75 gallons tank I remember the local mom n pops fish store owner told me that bfore adding fish into an fully cycled tank with fish in it I should add ( some chemical ) to avoid the tank residents to get sick if the new ones were . I can't remember what chemical was.

Any of you have an idea bout what chemical that could be ?
Well, the fact you are asking is good. Back then, some shops recommended all sorts of potions for 'preventing' disease. Things such as Tetracycline, a generous helping of salt, or believe it or not, even formaldehyde as an 'elixir' were suggested to ward off ailments. Some of that stuff even destroyed the tanks' biological cycle. In my opinion, don't use anything. Just quarantine the fish. Quarantine works.

Since you are doing an initial stocking, you can break up the risk between main tank and QT. That could turn out inconvenient if you have a load of plants that need moved later after Meds are needed. If you put 15 or 20 fish in any one tank initiall once, there is a fair chance some fish will spook. Most people don't want to set up four tanks just to get your main tank stocked. A Q tank and a Rubbermaid tote will get/keep you out of most jams.

And I don't think there is any magic chemical that prevents the spread of disease, short of dropping five Meds in the tank (just in case), which nobody is going to recommend..

It was probably something like Stress Coat, which encouraged the fish to produce more mucous, which theoretically helped them resist diseases and transfer shock more.

It's not necessary to add anything extra if the fish are going into a clean tank. Just make sure the water is dechlorinated and free of ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and other harmful substances.

Yeah I'm not gonna argue bout it cause I really don't know . I just hope I can finally learn how to make the water quality clean
It was probably something like Stress Coat, which encouraged the fish to produce more mucous, which theoretically helped them resist diseases and transfer shock more.

It's not necessary to add anything extra if the fish are going into a clean tank. Just make sure the water is dechlorinated and free of ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and other harmful substances.
Ok, thank you

Yeah I'm not gonna argue bout it cause I really don't know . I just hope I can finally learn how to make the water quality clean

Ok, thanks

If I wanted the fish to produce more of a slime coat, why wouldn't I just add salt?
Doesn’t the aloe in Stress Coat accumulate in the fishes' gills?

Yes, that's why many of us don't use it. Or any water conditioner which contains aloe vera.

The fewer chemicals we add to a tank the better.

Yes, that's why many of us don't use it. Or any water conditioner which contains aloe vera.

The fewer chemicals we add to a tank the better.
I've seen sites recommend bombarding fish in quarantine with a bunch of medications. Just to be sure. I'm sure it's just a coincidence that those sites also sell those medications.

Most reactions

Back