Work in Progress

Erm, yes to plants

No idea to the rest :huh:

There's no heating cable (look in the right-hand corner of the tank)
I've always planted straight into the sand and have never had a problem so that's the way i'll do it on this one.

If you're going to keep the same type of plants as in the 30, should be fine. Keep in mind that the sand DOES get clogged, and can cause problems unless you have fish to disturb it. Cories are great, but I don't know what species is comfortable with the heat discus need. -_-

fishbit said:
babies shouldnt live in fish tanks :rofl:
It's alright, he has a snorkel and fins :lol:

Tear-scar, i take it you're referring to black spots, etc. in the sand that occur when it settles? If so, i use a football needle valve on the end of an airline to poke into the dense spots and break them up, that seems to keep it all under control :)

Thanks for all the advice, tips and comments guys :) Nice to know people are taking an interest :thumbs:

Just added some gravel from my matured 30g contained in a 2 litre plastic bottle. Also chucked a plant in to mask the outlet hose as i hated seeing it every time i looked in the tank.
You'll notice there is a few little friends in their to provide some ammonia, etc. and they have a little fake log to play in :)
SeedingMedia.jpg

Going to get some wood to build the lid later and price up some cladding materials for the frame, i'm thinking of using plain softwood and then staining it rather than that ugly black ash effect stuff :sick:
Need a few more support beams for the frame as well and some shelving for the bits and pieces.

Just had a mad moment and rigged up a blue LED to this glass orb i found when tidying up. Should make a nice nightlight although it might not fit in with the finished decor :huh:

Unlit:
GlassOrb.jpg

Lit:
GlassOrbLit.jpg

Right, time for a stock list of the fish i would consider for the tank. Let me know if anyone has any suggestions or comments as i don't want to upset the Discus when i get them :)

5 x Discus (Juvenile)
Rams
Assorted Cichlids
Clown loaches
Mixed Tetras

The Discus are the only definites, the rest are negotiable but i would like the clown loaches. I can stretch the boundaries on stocking a little as i have very good filtration and because of the Discus would be keeping a close eye on water quality anyway and doing regular water changes.

If people could post ideas & comments i would be grateful as i've never had discus, clown loaches, rams or any type of cichlid before.

Thanks

looks good so far.. hopefully i will be starting a similar tank with discus blah blah..

yea that orb thing is pretty cool.. how did you do it?

Looks and sounds great although the only suggestion I would make is to make sure you get very peacful cichlids to go with your discus!!

Ben

Most reactions

Back