Work in Progress

woah...the water clears fast after u've put ur filter on...thats wat i should do...but im to lazy to hook up my filter.... :nod:

I have a tank that size ! Can i ask how you made the stand and how much it cost since i'm having trouble buying one! Thanks :D

P.s Beautiful tank!

Zaphan58 said:
Looks excellent! If you dont mind me asking what did you pay for the slate? :D
Also what is the little plant you have either side of the tank at the base of the wood, Java Fern?
The slate was £2.49 per chunk so I got huge bits :D
The big wood cave was £40 and the smaller bit was £25
The grass-like plant is Lilaeopsis brasiliensis [Tropica #040], it's quite slow growing but grows everywhere eventually. It's been in the tank for about 2 months and has grow a quarter bigger than when it was purchased :)

cheers mate I founf a profile on it here. Last question :D , what lighting are you using? Will be nice to see another pic of it in a few months when it has matured a little more and the plants have grown out more. :nod:

aloaring said:
I have a tank that size ! Can i ask how you made the stand and how much it cost since i'm having trouble buying one!
I used 2" x 2" pressure treated softwood and a 4' x 16" sheet of marine plywood.
On the under side of the marine ply there is two 48" lengths of 2" x 2" to hold the weight and 3 cross beams then the legs are screwed on through the top and braced with 45 degree supports (not done yet :*) )

All in all it cost about £30 and took about 60 minutes to construct :D

(Oh, and it helps if you have a power mitre saw :p )

Zaphan58 said:
Will be nice to see another pic of it in a few months when it has matured a little more and the plants have grown out more. :nod:
:eek: I've only just trimmed the plants :rolleyes:

The Lilaeopsis will fill out and the Vallis will thicken and spread but the Echinodorus will be kept at the same size otherwise it dominates the tank too much and gets caught in the water current and looks poo :crazy:
I will keep posting updates as and when things are completed and then when it's finished I may get a TOTM nom :kana:

Sorry, forgot to answer the lighting question :*)

At the moment i'm running one 48" freshwater tube (36W) with a reflector, one 30" tropical tube (25W) for 10 hours/day (brown algae is going nuts :sly: ), so that's just under 100W. When finished there will be two 48" freshwater tubes with reflectors & one 30" tropical tube with a reflector & the addition of a CO2 system. I can't have too much light as the fish i'm keeping don't particularly like bright environments so 200W will be plenty :)

OMG, I can't believe I missed this thread!

So hows the tank looking now? Have you got the discus yet?

Most reactions

Back