What are you doing today?

The liquid test kits definitely are more accurate! With the nitrAtes especially, you do have to shake, knock, bang, shake again and really shake the bottles and test tube for as long as instructions say, since it settles and separates and can give inaccurate results unless well mixed again.

Also handy to use something like a syringe to take a water sample from lower down in the tank rather than from the surface, plus also makes it easier to get the right amount of water in the test tube. 😃

Last, but definitely not least - it makes you feel like a proper scientist :lol: Well, it does me, anyhow! Maybe I shouldn't have revealed that... :blush::lol:
The ladies at the dentist's office used to say I was "playing mad scientist" when I'd get out all the test tubes and start mixing chemicals. :lol:

I am recovering from a week of Wyoming Bible Camp, where I lived in a tent for a week, got terrible sleep, taught classes, stayed up late, caught up with new and old friends, went on hikes, and generally got good and sunburned. The campers and most of the staff stay in rustic cabins, but I don't do well with other people's snoring, so I just pitched a tent out in the forest. I gave it my all, had a wonderful time, and now my body is paying the price. :lol:

I have a ton to do: Catching up on laundry, trying to fix our dryer which sounds like it is possessed by banshees, making some new arrows for the upcoming hunting season, doing some renovation/modification to the 55g, as well as the usual cooking, washing dishes, and such. Hopefully I'll get some energy back today and get something done. Yesterday I could barely walk without getting a head-rush.

I was going to go see some more grandkids with the one that is staying with me, but her cousin had things to do, and my bloated goldfish died in the backyard pond - well was missing, so we went out and drained it from the top (which is the filter and found the body and tidied up a bit. She got to catch 4 goldfish to add to the top basin, made her happy.

Heavily getting into a new book series... Well not new but new to me. Halfway through the first book in the Dragonlance series mostly done by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman has me very happy. It is sort of like Lord Of The Rings mixed with Dungeons And Dragons. So far it has been VERY enjoyable largely due to the main characters constantly screwing up. There seems to be MANY books associated with the series I'm reading. The first in the series is Autumn-Twilight which I am currently reading.

Heavily getting into a new book series... Well not new but new to me. Halfway through the first book in the Dragonlance series mostly done by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman has me very happy. It is sort of like Lord Of The Rings mixed with Dungeons And Dragons. So far it has been VERY enjoyable largely due to the main characters constantly screwing up. There seems to be MANY books associated with the series I'm reading. The first in the series is Autumn-Twilight which I am currently reading.

I've been enjoying the Saxon Tales by Bernard Cornwell. Uhtred is a fun character.

Thinking about getting a few of these Damascus steel arrowheads to hunt with. Not sure how practical they'd be, and they're really too expensive to justify. But wow, they sure would look pretty on the tips of my hand-made, primitive arrows...
DB-2210.jpg

For my betta tank, I cycled a sponge filter in one tank while I grew plants in his home tank. Then the day before I got the betta, I just added the cycled filter. Worked like a charm.
I've been doing a new cycle in that tank with a new sponge filter. It's almost ready to be a quarantine tank for some purple harlequin rasboras I'm getting to replace my neon tetras that have died off. Day before yesterday, I added enough ammonia to get it up to 2-3 ppm. I tested 24 hours later and ammonia was so close to zero with 0 nitrites. I'm hoping I can get them by this weekend. So I hope I can get the tank cycled this week. Nitrates are really high in there but I'm not worried about it since it's not housing any fish at the moment. I think I'm going to water change it tonight anyways and then add 2-3 ppm worth of ammonia. We'll see if it's ready to go tomorrow.

Thinking about getting a few of these Damascus steel arrowheads to hunt with. Not sure how practical they'd be, and they're really too expensive to justify. But wow, they sure would look pretty on the tips of my hand-made, primitive arrows...
DB-2210.jpg
Are you having trouble with Hittites again? I hate it when ancient empires get all expansionistic.

Here, it's a beautiful day and two old friends are about to come for a week. We're waiting for them to come in after a 9 hour trek. On Friday, we go by a puffin island, and then do some whale watching, out on the bay.

DB-2210.jpg
Cool looking tips! :) LOL! I remember many years ago I had some triple edged hunting tips but didn't hunt so I cut some arrows down to about a foot long and mounted the tips to make throwing darts. I didn't throw like you would with a dart board but overhand holding the fletching end of the things. I actually got pretty good with them.

View attachment 346961
My SA tank is cycled! And nice and soft too.
Here in Brazil, these test strips are still uncommon. Therefore I never used these.

Probably I will return to South Florida at the start of next year. Everything going okay, I intend to look for jobs such as a babysitter, although I know that, living previously in the country, is hard to explore the city without a car (I even think about buying an electric bicycle at first) and I already lost English classes for the bus not passing at the day. Any suggestions are accepted. Given that I have ASD, there are some limitations, but I am open to programs and training for support.

Tomorrow I will contact another faculty advisor.

Just watched the last few episodes of a show called "A Small Light".
Oh my gosh... that was one of the best shows I've seen, it was amazing.

It's about the Frankes in WW2 who hid in the attic.
But this perspective was from Miep, who was the one who hid the family with help from others.

I did research and this show was so historically accurate. And the building where they stayed as it is in the show was an exact replica. They mapped it all out and everything. The design team was so meticulous, they said everything was carefully made and detailed. Down to the doorknobs and light bulbs.

Even the actors and actresses looked like who they played.
The actors and actresses for Miep, Jan, Anne, Otto, ect, all looked similar to the actual historical figures.
At the very end of the last episode, they show side by side photos.

While in the beginning of each episode it says: "Some events are fictional and for dramatic purposes", I did the research and there are VERY few things I could find that weren't true in the show.
They just say that cause there are a few things like with Jan being part of the rebellion. He didn't talk a lot about what he did, so the creators if the show just wrote in some things of what MIGHT have happened with him being part of the fighting cause against the Nazis and they tried not stretching it too far.

But they show lots of things and don't only focus on the Frankes, because they helped others that were in other places...

It was truly a masterpiece of a show.
I loved how they kept it as historically accurate as they could with everything they knew.

Tissues are recommended 😆

Most reactions

Back