What are you doing today?

Ah, now that is a lot of fish for just a ring.

I don't even know who won the last Super Bowl, or who played. But who knows the names of most of the medal winners in the Olympics? Maybe a few from our own countries.

I'd say all but the star athletes pass by, but I seem to know obscure baseball player stats from 25 years ago...

I mean, it's not like a pet of the month or even a tank of the month winner. That's prestige!

I just managed to start a canister filter and have it work immediately, no priming or fussing needed... I think for the first time ever!

Wouldn't normally be worth a mention, but since it's a tank that's on the floor, and it's not usually easy to get all the air out of the hoses without priming or lifting the canister higher than the tank and letting all the air bubbles flow through, I'm extra shocked and pretty pleased with myself. :lol:

Today, for me, today is totally sports between the Olympics, the start of a fairly important 4 game series for my Cleveland Baseball and the start of the NFL preseason.

Today we cleaned the bio filter, waterfall pump, spitter pump, and spitters. Yesterday we flushed the pond replacing 750 gallons of water. Did an additional 500 today. Total water change was about 70 percent. The bog is now a complete flood but will drain to normal by tomorrow I think.

It was an extremely uncomfortable chore as the real feel temp hovered at 100f. I glistened just walking.

With all the sports going on today I'm splurging! I haven't ordered pizza in at least 2 months. That is being corrected this evening. Already have the order setup but won't place for a while. Large Domino's Extravaganza pizza minus pepperoni and chicken and pineapple added. Also two Habanero chicken sandwiches and two pasta bowls. No, that is not all for tonight as two slices of pizza, half a sandwich and half a pasta bowl make for a good and filling dinner. Total cost was/is $65.00 USD but will give four meals so is not really all that much per meal.

With Olympics, baseball and football I just NEED pizza! :)

Very exciting weekend for me. I have a kitchenette area that hasn't been used for that purpose in years. I've been using it to store stuff, mostly fish related. I bought a new fridge so that the rest of the house didn't have to share a freezer with frozen mosquito larvae and daphnia. I just took an old non working oven out of there and put in a shelving unit. That really opened up a lot of space. I have some more junk to move out of there. Right now it's a storage area for fish equipment like gravel vacs and buckets. I built a drying rack for all 5 gallon buckets I use for water changes.
The sink in there isn't working but once I finish clearing it out, I'm going to see if I can get the sink reconnected. And then find room for a couple of 10-15 gallon plastic bins for daphnia cultures and a 30 gallon plastic tub to act as a quarantine tank. I might even try culturing blackworms or scuds, if I can find the space. Or maybe I'll get a garbage can with wheels that I can age water in for water changes.
I had actually been storing boxes of books I meant to donate there. I finally got those out of there. Including a box of comics and graphic novels that went to a lucky young relative. I got a shelving unit off Amazon and some plastic storage bins from a dollar store. I also got some plastic shelf liners and cheap cookie racks. So when I clean things like my brine shrimp hatchery, I can dry them on one of the shelves.

Got a new and better baitcaster. It's rated for inshore saltwater and has a 7.1 gear ratio
20240802_164227.jpg
20240802_165129.jpg
20240802_165142.jpg
20240802_181631.jpg
20240802_181643.jpg

Attachments

• 20240802_165122.jpg
    20240802_165122.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 9
Got an iron infusion, as per doctor's orders. For some reason or another I have been anemic for at least 2 years. Iron pills "don't agree with me". She promises that an infusion is better because it skips the tummy and goes right into the blood.

I really haven't had many symptoms, though. The only thing I hope happens is aches and pains tone down, my anxiety gets better, and I'm not to weak when doing physical stuff.

... oh wait, that's GETTING OLDER :sad:

Today I will take a trip to my LFS and pick up a new water test kit. I’m intrigued to start using the the water kits in the tubes rather than the test strips I’m currently using. They look like they’re way more accurate, and the strips make me worry necessarily when it’s telling me my PH is “in the red/danger” if it drops below 6.4 (according to this my tank is right on the limit) whereas in actual fact, this Ph is within parameters for the majority of my fish.
We also may pick up a Betta for hubbys new tank 🤩 if we can find the right one.

Today I will take a trip to my LFS and pick up a new water test kit. I’m intrigued to start using the the water kits in the tubes rather than the test strips I’m currently using. They look like they’re way more accurate, and the strips make me worry necessarily when it’s telling me my PH is “in the red/danger” if it drops below 6.4 (according to this my tank is right on the limit) whereas in actual fact, this Ph is within parameters for the majority of my fish.
We also may pick up a Betta for hubbys new tank 🤩 if we can find the right one.

The liquid test kits definitely are more accurate! With the nitrAtes especially, you do have to shake, knock, bang, shake again and really shake the bottles and test tube for as long as instructions say, since it settles and separates and can give inaccurate results unless well mixed again.

Also handy to use something like a syringe to take a water sample from lower down in the tank rather than from the surface, plus also makes it easier to get the right amount of water in the test tube. 😃

Last, but definitely not least - it makes you feel like a proper scientist :lol: Well, it does me, anyhow! Maybe I shouldn't have revealed that... :blush::lol:

The liquid test kits definitely are more accurate! With the nitrAtes especially, you do have to shake, knock, bang, shake again and really shake the bottles and test tube for as long as instructions say, since it settles and separates and can give inaccurate results unless well mixed again.

Also handy to use something like a syringe to take a water sample from lower down in the tank rather than from the surface, plus also makes it easier to get the right amount of water in the test tube. 😃

Last, but definitely not least - it makes you feel like a proper scientist :lol: Well, it does me, anyhow! Maybe I shouldn't have revealed that... :blush::lol:

Handy to know that about the mixing - thank you!

And hey, there’s no harm in playing! I might even invest in a white lab coat just for fun! 🤣

Another trip to the dollar store to pick up some plastic storage bins and other things for the fish room reorganizing. I have a shelving unit due from Amazon today.
Starting another wingless fruit fly culture.
And then watching WWE SummerSlam tonight.

On Thursday I went in for an interview at the LFS and I’m hired for the three trial shifts! If they like me at the end of that, I’m hired for real. Full time employees (which here just means 3 full shifts a week) get:
-50% off any fish that’s been in the store for 2 weeks
-Purchase dry goods at their landed cost
-Special order stuff for yourself at their landed cost
-Shopping trip to the wholesaler once per quarter (fun!)
-If you’re gonna spend your entire paycheck on fish, get it in (untaxed) store credit instead of (taxed) income. (?!?? Idk if this is legal lol, I don’t plan to use it anyway)

I’ve got a few coming-soon purchases for the new tank, like a light, plants, and a new water test set (currently out), but now that I’m hired I think I’ll wait until the discounts kick in to buy that stuff.

Trying to get rid of my room cool mist humidifier with no luck so far. I would rather give it to someone I actually like and talk with but, so far, no luck. One more person to check with in my apartments and, if he says no, will put it in the apartment lobby as a freebee.

The unit actually does pretty well in my one bedroom apartment but I really don't need anymore as evaporation from my tank does as well.

Most reactions

Back