What are you doing today?

October FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Had my flu shot on Wednesday. Arm still sore.
I get the shot at a pharmacy that is inside a supermarket. They give you a 10% off coupon on groceries. Saved $11 on groceries...such a deal.

The 'drain man' was back again early this morning. It turns out our next door neighbours were at home yesterday, they were just in the back of the house so didn't see or hear anything so everyone thought they were out.
The slippage point has been identified, luckily just outside the garage. They'll come back, dig up next door's garden, repair the drain, and make good the damage to the garden. As our neighbours go on holiday tomorrow nothing can be done till they get back so the 'drain man' has arranged to have the drain checked and cleared if necessary every few days till the work can be done.

And all for free as it's a shared drain :)

A severe Geomagnetic storm has caused the northern lights to be visible in nj. My first time seeing the northern lights.View attachment 351567View attachment 351568View attachment 351569View attachment 351572
We could see them all the way down in Georgia! Although I should point out these are long-exposure photos, in person part of the sky just looked like reddish black instead of bluish black.
IMG_5362.jpeg
IMG_5360.jpeg

We could see them all the way down in Georgia! Although I should point out these are long-exposure photos, in person part of the sky just looked like reddish black instead of bluish black. View attachment 351642View attachment 351643
Its interesting because some parts of the country could not see the aurora with the naked eye, but the camera could pick it up. I was able to see some green with the camera, but not with the naked eye. Pretty fascinating.

Its interesting because some parts of the country could not see the aurora with the naked eye, but the camera could pick it up. I was able to see some green with the camera, but not with the naked eye. Pretty fascinating.
The images shown are impressive just due to the fact that it is so far south. Not in any way to put down images shown but you should see the lights up close and personal. It is REALLY awe inspiring. The following are all taken from a small northern town in Ontario called Moosonee that is located where the Moose River feeds into The James Bay which is an inlet to the Hudson Bay were Canada is broken up going into the Arctic Ocean. These are not my photos but I've been there and seen this stuff. It is life changing! The beauty of the Sun's radiations (mostly cosmic rays) interacting with our Earth's magnetic field is beyond description. The following photos are dramitic but even they don't compare to standing there in total awe.

lights1.jpg

lights2.jpg

lights3.jpg

lights4.jpg

We missed them on Thursday - no idea they were there - and it was cloudy last night so couldn't see anything. We are far enough north to have had a good display 😢

It was too cloudy for me to see the lights. I saw a thin strip while I was on an island on Lake Champlain in Vermont on Thursday night, but that was only a tiny opening in the overcast conditions.
I'm turning human again today. Since Tuesday, I have spent close to 30 hours driving, and am sick of it. If I were a trucker, that would be fine, but I'm not.
The fish don't like being taken for drives. But the ones from the experienced shipper all made it and look great. The ones from a guy who has been in business 3 years are rougher, and I lost three out of 38 fish from him. That's still good, as he used oxygen, but he overcrowded the bags a bit.
In Canada, this is thanksgiving weekend, so I'll be thanking farmers, truckers, turkey growers, cranberry pickers et al in my mind as I get quality time with family. Tomorrow, we'll have a house full of people and dogs. Nieces, nephews, kids, aunts, uncles, even international students who wanted to try all of our exotic North American foods.
All is as it should be - after thanksgiving we batten down the hatches and stand ready for winter. I have tons of new species to try to breed after my shopping trip to the big city, and now, we enjoy the Fall. My 10 hour drive yesterday was long, but the sunlight on changing deciduous forests was stunning. The low mountains were red, yellow, orange and green, and it was something to see. I missed the northern lights, but the northern leaves were everywhere.
What I don't like is the lengthening darkness - it's coming in fast. But it's only about 9-10 weeks to the solstice when the days will start lengthening again.

Just got back from a jam session. There's a regular group that gets together every Saturday, and I've been intending to join them for several years now. Today they had five guitars, an exceptional uke player, a mandolin, a keyboard, and me on whistles and bodhran. All older people (even older than me), very welcoming and fun. Was kind of hoping to find a guitarist and/or fiddler who knew Celtic music, as I really want to put together a band. That didn't happen, but it was still a good time. After wrangling little kids every day, it's fun to make music with fellow grownups. 🪈😊

Hanging around with grownups has its appeal. Who are your favourite Celtic artists?

I've been listening to the sad but powerful Lankum, and lots of the Mary Wallopers for fun stuff. Ye Vagabonds are good, if almost too traditional in the bar band way. KInd of like the old Dubliners to me.

How about some pre Celtic Druid tunes? Especially the ones the Priestess chanted during human sacrifice.
We aren't supposed to talk religion on the forum.
I'd like to have a company called "Bog Man Botanicals" and claim to be selling ancient lore and products used by the ancestors.
It could even have a beauty line attached to it, preserving us from the ravages of age.

Just got back from a jam session. There's a regular group that gets together every Saturday, and I've been intending to join them for several years now. Today they had five guitars, an exceptional uke player, a mandolin, a keyboard, and me on whistles and bodhran. All older people (even older than me), very welcoming and fun. Was kind of hoping to find a guitarist and/or fiddler who knew Celtic music, as I really want to put together a band. That didn't happen, but it was still a good time. After wrangling little kids every day, it's fun to make music with fellow grownups. 🪈😊
Sounds fun. I rarely get to play with any other musicians.

I'm tired already. Helper is scraping and painting house trim, AC guy came and replaced my defective 3 month old motor, I cleared the porch off and got a coat of shellac on a Singer and a White Rotary, then my puppy was delivered. She's about 3 months old border collie lab mix and owner had to give her up and a return would have got her euthanized. She has met the pack, I think they approve as much as likely anyway. It will take time, she is crate training in my room, gonna be a long night

Most reactions

Back