@WhistlingBadger
20241012_102310.jpg
20241012_102324.jpg
20241013_081102.jpg
20241013_120943.jpg
20241013_103022.jpg
20241013_122357.jpg
20241013_133449.jpg

Am I the only one who thinks practicing the de-stinkification of elk skulls in peroxide makes you possibly weirder than a fan of druidic sacrifice opera tunes? Face it, we're all a bit weird here!

Lankum is hard to take, as it is very depressing and very traditional murder ballad stuff. But there is something real there, very real and very passionate. In small doses, they're brilliant. Droney, but brilliant.

There seems to be a really vibrant alternative music scene developing in Dublin. Lisa O'Neill can be interesting from that scene, though I find her stuff uneven. Ye Vagabonds are a lot like the old bar bands, but sing in Irish as well as English. The Mary Wallopers are just a fun band from the border region.

Alexis Chartrand is a Quebec traditionalist, and my daughter says Genticorum and Les Chauffeurs a Pieds are good for the sound from my neck of the woods. Some of the early, Green Linnet Records era La Bottine Souriante is also good stuff. Quebecois has Breton and Irish influences run through a couple of hundred years musical isolation.
Yeah, La Bottine Souriante is a fun band. I used to have one or two of their CDs but it they disappeared in one of the moves. Their combo with the Chieftains, I think it's called "Le Lys Vert," is the stuff of legend.

Murder ballads seem to have been an important part of Celtic (and American!) culture. We used to say that a Scottish love song has a happy ending when the relationship ends in divorce, but no one dies.

Then there's the old joke: How many Scottish folk singers does it take to change a lightbulb? Four. One to change it, and three to sing about how much better the old one was.

We drove to Philadelphia for my wife’s cousin’s 75th birthday. It was held in the Barnes museum housing the largest collection of Impressionistic paintings in the western hemisphere. It was the private collection of Dr. Barnes who gifted it to the city upon his death. Great birthday, great museum. Back and forth trip took four hours. More than enough time to listen to Jacques Offenbach’s last opera, The Tales of Hoffmann. Perfect trip. Upon my return I walked devil dog and did water exchanges on several tanks.

Am I the only one who thinks practicing the de-stinkification of elk skulls in peroxide makes you possibly weirder than a fan of druidic sacrifice opera tunes?
Hmmmmmmm, you just might be onto something there. Anyway, I believe @gwand and the rest of you know that when I point out that someone is strange, I mean it as a compliment. I don't really know any normal people, but if I did, I suspect they would really bore me. :lol:

The grandkids have gone home and the pup is napping, she had a blast chasing children and they had a blast playing with her. That's a win win. Now dishes and fix the pond again and this time get some sand underneath that corner because the patches pull loose if liner is under tension

I know about that loll !!!

When you install a pond it's very good to go trough a whole year before cutting the border of the liner.

Leave it expand and shrink at least once with the seasons, keeping it as full as possibles helps, Because also the weight of the water is much higher than soil and will compact the underlying support for a while and stretch the liner.

Take a walk in the pond from time to time to make sure the liner is not stretching and compensate giving loose.

When you finish you liner installation it should look like an orange peel and no tension points.

In Canada when you end with a water layer between the liner and the supporting soil outside the pond, It really tears things apart in the winter.

well I installed in 2018, I popped a hole with a milk crate chasing a fish a couple of months ago and it took me a week or 2 to figure out it was leaking. By that time soil had been eroded from underneath. And this is the above ground basin. Something you would not do in Canada I suspect, it doesn't freeze that hard here.
20240905_222725.jpg

Haaaaaa, If you do that in Canada, it's going to look like a howitzer crater next summer.

We need to have a 4 feet deep region and 10 feet wide and still have to add an heater at the bottom.

Anything too small will freeze right trough.

My old pond had groundwater that would seep in underneath it. It was fine as long as we kept it full--the weight from above would keep the ground water out. But if we didn't keep it full in the springtime, or during irrigation season, the liner would pooch up from underneath.

Today I'm helping @connorlindeman get more entries for our Fish of the Month contest which is featuring Tetras. If you have a Tetra, we hope you enter it in the contest.
CLICK HERE to be teleported over to the entry thread.

Last edited:
If you got a cool fish that qualifies DO enter. The contests are really sort of fun.

I DO have one complaint though. Wish one of these fish contests would go for unusual and/or exotic fish. I would love to enter my rope fish but it never matches the fish type for the contest. LOL! Of course, if my rope qualified in a contest he would spite my by totally disapearing for a month as he already does. ;)

If you got a cool fish that qualifies DO enter. The contests are really sort of fun.

I DO have one complaint though. Wish one of these fish contests would go for unusual and/or exotic fish. I would love to enter my rope fish but it never matches the fish type for the contest. LOL! Of course, if my rope qualified in a contest he would spite my by totally disapearing for a month as he already does. ;)
At least once per year we run a contest for all fish, focusing on oddballs. Your rope fish would be a perfect entry. That happens next month.

At least once per year we run a contest for all fish, focusing on oddballs. Your rope fish would be a perfect entry. That happens next month.
Hmmm, So my rope will qualify in the November contest... Have to make a November sign that shows November and catch him when I can. ;) Actually I wouldn't do that as, if I could catch a photo it would be within the contest time. I may be a bit competitive but I don't cheat. ;)

LOL! I DO think he would be tough to beat though... ;)

Clyde-3.jpg

Most reactions

Back