What are you doing today?

if what I heard today from another resident is actually true I will NOT be a happy camper. As said in past posts my apartments are under new ownership/management. From what I was told the new people are going to apply a pet deposit of $250.00 PER ANIMAL along with a rent increase of $30.00/month PER ANIMAL. If actually true, which I kind of doubt, I will NOT be a happy camper.

Now, to be honest, I was surprised that the apartments never did a pet deposit as that is pretty normal but to include a rent increase per animal is not normal nor is it right. If it happens to be true usually birds and fish are excluded but, if not in this case, I'd have to get rid of my aquarium. I'd keep my bird but there is no way that I'm going to do a $250.00 pet deposit per fish in my tank. ;) I could actually understand a deposit on my tank as 20 gallons dumping could cause damage but it would have to be for the entire tank, not per fish and not also including a rent increase.

I'm not freaking about this or anything as rumors run rampant around here but the info supposedly came from the current apartment manager which makes it a bit more concerning. Then again the info came from a resident that does not seem all that reliable.

Today is paint day for Linda and mowing day for me.

The pond building will get a second coat of yellow exterior paint. The first coat covered very well but a second coat adds to the years of service. Later in the week I will apply a second coat to the trim, Linda hates painting trim, and I am ambivalent to the process.

I will mow what used to be a smallish pasture with the big tractor. It is about 2.5 acres and has not been given a haircut since mid-June. It is now more hayfield than meadow. Thinking about going to livestock auction in early spring and buying two yearling beefers to avoid the need to mow that area. Sell one, keep one at year end. Maybe! Linda wants some livestock again, chickens, turkey, and beef, me not so much. I usually accept her wishes but may resist this. Not a problem till spring.

Tonight, we will be hearing some Jazz at Cafe Lena then a couple of pops and a sandwich at Holy Moses Tavern which in only a couple miles from home. We have decided to reestablish our local social lives instead of depending on backyard parties.

Well. I just got an email from a friend that I haven't heard from in 15+ years. We used to play Irish music together way back in the day before I settled down and started the Badger clan. It turns out she has taken over the whistle-making business from another friend, an elderly gent named Mack Hoover who has now retired from instrument making. She has recently finished a bunch of sample whistles, and she wants to send me one to try out and review. Reconnecting with an old friend and getting a new whistle to try out? Sure, OK. 😎

I think I need to treat the bees again today. I still haven't moved the grass out of the east bed, or mowed. I need to paint the case of a portable sewing machine to make it more marketable, and get a couple of cabinet models ready and on Marketplace. I could have sold 3 sunday if i had had them ready i think

Yesterday I did a rear wheel bearing on my car. It was making lots of noise. I had to rent a couple hundred dollars in tools from autozone to complete the job.
I'll bet it was less than when the 75's right front started screaming and I had to have it towed to the shop and they changed the bearing

Went out and did my training run this morning and found a quarter and two pennies . Tomorrow afternoon is the last club race of the season , a three mile trail run down by the river and the weatherman is calling for rain . That should add a little cross country atmosphere to the festivities .
I always enjoy running in the rain, as long as the trail doesn't get too sloppy.

I'll bet it was less than when the 75's right front started screaming and I had to have it towed to the shop and they changed the bearing
This was more of a grinding noise from 20 mph and up. Just got louder with speed. It got to the point it was shaking the car. These rear wheel drive bearings are a pain to change. You have to drop the exhaust, the sway bar and remove the brakes, rotor, and caliper. Remove the half shaft. Then remove the hub with a slide hammer. Then press out the old bearing. Reverse for reinstall. At the shop this would have been a $600-800 job. Shops hate working on old bmws. I've had shops refuse to even look at it. Only cost me $60 in parts and 5 hours of my time.

This was more of a grinding noise from 20 mph and up. Just got louder with speed. It got to the point it was shaking the car. These rear wheel drive bearings are a pain to change. You have to drop the exhaust, the sway bar and remove the brakes, rotor, and caliper. Remove the half shaft. Then remove the hub with a slide hammer. Then press out the old bearing. Reverse for reinstall. At the shop this would have been a $600-800 job. Shops hate working on old bmws. I've had shops refuse to even look at it. Only cost me $60 in parts and 5 hours of my time.
I like guys with your attitude . Sixty bucks and five hours beats $600 every time . The next one you do will take even less time .

So today, whale watching with a visiting friend. It wasn't the best - a lovely bracing day, but only one finback, a handful of porpoises and a lot of seals. But the sea was good, and the experience is always worth going out. Once you get out on the bay, a September day does a pretty good November imitation.

I got to see a huge grey seal with red hair on its head. He was a striking looking fellow, from a species I had only seen from a distance before.

Last evening, I took out the saw, measured a piece of dry driftwood and cut it so that it fit tightly across a ten gallon tank with a pair of Microctenopoma congigum, bush fish gouramies in it. The wood stops all surface agitation, and creates a still zone. I draped some Bacopa across it. When I just went in to check, I have a huge bubble nest built up against it. I can't tell if there are eggs in it, but the male is in glorious colour, and the female went in well conditioned to spawn. I've been trying to get these fish to spawn for months, but the water in their tank always moved a little at the surface. Not much, but clearly enough to break up the fun.

The tank is at 21.5 c, which I would have thought a bit low. Guess it isn't.

What are you doing today?​

Unpacking my ordered fish and reading my new published article...
And hopefully I can hang out on the couch later on...

Most reactions

Back