What are you doing today?

I've never been able to get into SF and fantasy. I love reading, but wonder whether there's anything we can make up weirder than what has already happened. I'm a history book guy, mainly with social history and all the complicated ways people stayed alive in our nasty past. I liked Lord of the Rings a lot, but the others just haven't caught my eye.
Maybe I need glasses...

Today I hope to video my Enigmatochromis lucanusi dwarf Cichlids. They've excavated a nest and may or may not have eggs. Signs are they do, but we'll see. I won't have a look in their cave, as I want fry. Ideally, two pairs would let me move forward with the species, and enjoy them for longer. In a perfect world, I can video them daily as the process of spawning, guarding eggs, guarding larvae, taking the fry on expeditions outside the nest and raising them up unfolds. I bred the fish years ago, and didn't have the means to film them. I also didn't have the space to raise them, as I do now.

The Cichlid hobby has fallen on hard times, but dwarf Cichlids SHOULD still be popular. They aren't. Hopefully, the pendulum will swing back to them, because they really are fascinating to watch.

Oh yeah, I have to vacuum too. The dog is shedding tumbleweeds.
I have and read historical novels, but real history books, not so much. I read for pleasure and other worlds make me forget how difficult this one is.
on cichlids - they used to be the safest fish to buy because they didn't get dumped in with all the tropicals with ich, but here lately I don't buy any fish. Until i get some kind of quarantine set up I won't. Cichlids are the most interesting group though. 4 yellow labs lined up top to bottom in a tank watching my neighbor do her morning exercises - I'd put the tank down at her house when I ran out of room. That got me a phone call, the spy fish

Did a bunch of computer backups. Clone and image backups on my main system and then backing up my data drive that holds documents, pitchers, music, etc. to 4 other systems.

Please, please, please backup your data to multiple destinations whether it be external hard drives, flash drives or whatever. It isn't a matter of if a hard drive will fail but when. If you have a hard drive failure without a full system backup it is a hassle but the operating system and software can always be installed again. Isn't the same with your data. Your pictures and such are gone forever.

If interested here is a pretty comprehensive article I wrote about backups. It is NOT a short article. In a few aspects it is a bit out of date but still applicable.
https://computerhaven.com/backups.html

that's what I want in my kitchen I think. not sure
It's good stuff. Waterproof, which is great for both kitchens and aquariums! Relatively soft to walk on. Fairly easy to install once you figure out what you're doing. Make sure you get good quality stuff, with at least 12 mil wear layer. 20 is better. Watch some YouTube videos, invest in the right tools, and off you go. The laminate floor cutter is saving my hands this summer.

It's good stuff. Waterproof, which is great for both kitchens and aquariums! Relatively soft to walk on. Fairly easy to install once you figure out what you're doing. Make sure you get good quality stuff, with at least 12 mil wear layer. 20 is better. Watch some YouTube videos, invest in the right tools, and off you go. The laminate floor cutter is saving my hands this summer.
Is your vinyl planking the same as the laminate woodgrain waterproof I've been admiring with interlock edges? picture without a picture probably won't work.

@jaylach my next backup is going to the safe deposit box

Is your vinyl planking the same as the laminate woodgrain waterproof I've been admiring with interlock edges? picture without a picture probably won't work.

@jaylach my next backup is going to the safe deposit box
It isn't the same as laminate, though if you do laminate definitely do waterproof. Ours has a very realistic wood grain that gives a peaceful feeling to a room. I really enjoy rooms with wood, brick, stone, natural-feeling materials. But who can afford hardwood floors these days? This is the next best thing IMO.

I have original hardwoods in most of my 1955 house, but the kitchen has vinyl sheet over vinyl tile and both can be seen so I have to do something in there

It’s been a LONG day, tomorrow will be even longer. And then Saturday will be evennnnn longer.

Long days can be good, in comparison to ones that suddenly stop short...

I took the pup for a walk along the rocky beach across the road, and it was a milestone. She didn't eat a single piece of seaweed! She is past that stage.

This opens up fantastic walks, and I am very pleased. Today, I'll throw my shoulder bag on and as we walk the edge of the quiet surf (it's not a windy one) I can look for oddly shaped rocks to improve my aquarium decor. The close by beaches aren't sand and sun places - they are very rocky. We have the highest tides in the world, because of the shape of the Bay, and the sea rolls up some cool decor.

I know some readers will be aghast, as taking stuff off beaches is illegal in some highly populated countries, with good reason. Here, things are a lot sparser in terms of people. I wouldn't take bags of beach sand or anything on that scale, but picking up a few rocks is legal. I like going along, as often, there is no one else in sight on a sweep of beach several kilometres long. The beaches aren't lined with houses as they are south of here - the tides make building risky. Now that the dog doesn't make herself sick on seaweed, there are good walks to come.

I will also take my puppy on her walk today. I live in a wooded area filled with deer, fox, raccoons and many bird species including owls. My puppy is particularly attracted to deer poop and owl hair balls. So I have to pay particular attention to her. Without vigilance she will be eating deer poop before I know it.

Today I am injured. When making some adjustments to the rock dam I slipped into the smaller pond. I caught myself and I stepped out of the puddle congratulating myself on being so nimble thinking I had caught myself without any bumps or scrapes. Well as I climbed out another submerged rock knocked my nimble balance right out from under me. I sit here listening to some old Moody Blues vinyl nursing a twisted ankle, badly swollen knee, and cuts on my hand. It hurts, but not as much as my pride.

Most reactions

Back