What are you doing today?

Nice is that a small mouth? I would go with my parents every year bass fishing at Charleston Lake in Canada, great memories🇨🇦
That's a large mouth bass!
Never have caught a small mouth, but I'd be willing to try. This year I'm focusing on LM though.

I bet the fishing in Canada is amazing!

I’m watching a new hatch of neocaridina.

IMG_0649.jpeg
IMG_0646.jpeg

When I was 14, I still fished. I went out one morning at 5:30. The lake was like glass, and there was some mist. I caught a good sized smallmouth and it tail walked across the water. It was a memorable sight.
I don't fish anymore, but if I did, there are good lakes around here.

My brother called to tell me the salmon and lake trout are in what we call the bowl off Port Henry Lake Champlain. Said the boat will be ready after tomorrow. We will take a day next week to journey on up.

Never have caught a small mouth, but I'd be willing to try. This year I'm focusing on LM though.

I doubt that you will see much as to small mouth bass where you are as they are a colder water fish. Just like you won't see large mouth in Canada as they are a warmer water fish.

Smallies normally don't provide the out of the water acrobatics a LM can, but they pull like a freight train. They can adapt to fast water so they are in shape for a fight. :) I love LM fishing too. It's just a different kind of fishing.

just worked today, i’m really anxious about this job i interviewed for, i really hope i can secure it cause it would be an amazing opportunity

graduation is the 11th and i’m moving out very soon after that, i already have an apartment secured, i get the keys on the 1st

Smallies normally don't provide the out of the water acrobatics a LM can, but they pull like a freight train. They can adapt to fast water so they are in shape for a fight. :) I love LM fishing too. It's just a different kind of fishing.
I've caught small mouths that left the water but have never caught a large mouth so can't compare as to the acrobatics. I WILL say that if a small mouth does leave the water you better have no slack in the line as they will spit out the hook. Don't know how they do it but they will lose a hook more than any other fish I've caught.

And you are totally right in that small mouth will fight like crazy. Probably the closest I've caught as to a fight would be a walleye (pickerel) but small mouth take the prize. Shoot, in Canada, I've caught northern pike well over 20 pounds and a 5 pound small mouth is harder to bring in. LOL! With a pike the most fight they give is when in the canoe. A guy I was in Canada with landed a pike over 20 pounds and was an idiot enough to try to remove the lure with his bare hand. After the battle was over the guy's hand looked like hamburger, that pike tore him up. The way I describe them to people that don't know the fish is that they are totally a fresh water barracuda.

Until she discovered boys my youngest daughter was my Wednesday fishing buddy. We fished a small backwater from canoe. Randa used to watch fishing shows and decided she too could mooch a fish. Caught a pike, just a little hammer handle, and planted a kiss on its snout. The pike gave a wiggle and Randa got three stitches in her lower lip. We still call her pike lips.

We had a solid frost last night, and the deer are on the move through white tipped grass this morning.

I'm a city boy pretending to be a woodsman here, but there must be a lot of mice out there. I'm watching a good sized red tailed hawk out on the light pole, and it's been around for a solid week. There's also a bald eagle that's been floating around bothering the smaller birds. And a new one that's interesting when you have cemeteries behind and in front of your house - a group of large turkey vultures are coming through regularly. That's a first for me.
When the vultures are circling overhead, I slow down on all the yard work. They see a white haired guy moving slowly and they stick around so I can get a good look.

It's coming together. When I was cleaning the shed/greenhouse, I spotted a few black widow spiders. They aren't common in Canada, but are somehow established in a small area here. As climate changes, so do the creatures that watch out for us. They were semi-mythical creatures in books when I was a kid, and now they're my neighbours. I'm sure when the shed was decaying, there were lots of them, and stripping it to the frame and putting plastic up to make a greenhouse exposes them. I see way way more of them this Spring than I saw in the first year.

Today, I have a small set of water changes, as I gradually get things set up for me to be away for a week or so. I don't feed any extra before I go anywhere, but I do make sure the fish have had quality fare, and I make sure the water is really good. When I get back, the tank keeping season will be kicking in. The sunlight will warm the room up a bit, and I'll get to breeding a lot (I hope) of fish. I breed the warmer water fish in summer, when I don't need heaters for young rainbows. The killies usually get busy in early, cooler summer, then shut down when it gets hot. The tetras have to wait til their breeding season in November. It gives me a steady supply of puzzles to solve.

I've caught small mouths that left the water but have never caught a large mouth so can't compare as to the acrobatics. I WILL say that if a small mouth does leave the water you better have no slack in the line as they will spit out the hook. Don't know how they do it but they will lose a hook more than any other fish I've caught.

And you are totally right in that small mouth will fight like crazy. Probably the closest I've caught as to a fight would be a walleye (pickerel) but small mouth take the prize. Shoot, in Canada, I've caught northern pike well over 20 pounds and a 5 pound small mouth is harder to bring in. LOL! With a pike the most fight they give is when in the canoe. A guy I was in Canada with landed a pike over 20 pounds and was an idiot enough to try to remove the lure with his bare hand. After the battle was over the guy's hand looked like hamburger, that pike tore him up. The way I describe them to people that don't know the fish is that they are totally a fresh water barrac
Smallies definitely can leave the water. LM just feed on the top of the water so often that they became famous for launching themselves in the air. Especially when they miss their target. Pike are half the reason I enjoy fishing the northland, and yes it's a great idea to not put so much as a finger in their mouths. They have a mount full of teeth like a snake.

Small mouths are a hoot on a fly rod.
I have fly fished a lot but haven't had that pleasure yet. Today I am taking about a 30 min ride to a newish LFS. The owner is a longtime local breeder so it should be a decent place. I have a cycled tank now so at the least I intend to pick up some plants.

Most reactions

Back