What are you doing today?

We use a landline for incoming calls (mobile is cheaper for outgoing) and we have caller ID. If it's someone we don't want to talk to or a number we don't recognise we let it go to the answering machine. Most times cold callers don't even listen to the whole message, though there are some that wait for the tone then say "is there anyone there?". Yes there is but I'm not answering the phone.
Our mobiles are basic phones not smart phones - calls and texts only.

We use a landline for incoming calls (mobile is cheaper for outgoing) and we have caller ID. If it's someone we don't want to talk to or a number we don't recognise we let it go to the answering machine. Most times cold callers don't even listen to the whole message, though there are some that wait for the tone then say "is there anyone there?". Yes there is but I'm not answering the phone.
Our mobiles are basic phones not smart phones - calls and texts only.
While I DO own an old cheap cell there are no minutes on it. I keep it around in case I ever take a road trip. I would put on some minutes in case of an emergency on the road.

For normal use I'm strictly land line. I figure that if I'm out I probably don't want to be bothered and if a call is important they can call back or leave a message. If I had young kids around I'd carry a cell but that is not the case. One thing I like about my land line, other than it being cheaper than cell service at $29.00 USD per month, is that it is through my cable/internet provider and I get an email transcript of any messages. I have to admit that, at times, the transcripts can be a bit funny when it messes up words but they are fully understandable text. Of course I can actually go to voice mail to hear but can't remember the last time I did that.

I'm surprised that outgoing calls on your land line cost more. Mayhaps a UK thing. :dunno: With me my land line is a flat price per month.

@jaylach I like your old school attitudes . I’m much the same myself . I have an old flip phone for if I really have to call someone and that someone is only going to be either one daughter or the other and if anyone texts me I ignore it .
LOL! I have to chuckle on the 'texts' comment. I have made exactly one text in my life and that was like 10-11 years ago. My text message was to tell some outfit to quit texting me. ;) 11 years ago when I got here I had to have a cell for work as I worked at a government library at a local Veteran's Administration and had to able to be contacted at any time. That was actually a pretty sweet deal as the Veteran's Administration provided my housing. When I left the Veteran's Administration and got an apartment I used the cell for mayhaps a year before switching to strictly land line.

Been listening to basically a "part 2" to Billy Joel's song "we didn't start the fire" for the past few days (love that song, and I love this one just as much):

For home phone, I pay $40 per year for Magicjack…a VOIP device. I only pay $25 a month for 200mbps internet service. I have an apple iphone 12 which is mostly on home wifi. I pay $8 a month for 1 GB and 100 minutes… more than I use.

UK members will say we are on the most expensive landline but we are on the one that was the only one when we first had a landline 40 odd years ago and he won't move.

My husband and I each pay £4 per month for unlimited calls and texts on our mobiles, total £8. No data as our phones don't do that. (Asda Mobile)
On BT landline for 700 minutes per month free calls it's £9.36 per month; for unlimited calls it's £19.58. And we have to use our mobiles when away from home on top of that.

That's why we use mobiles for outgoing. But our cordless landline batteries last longer than our mobile batteries so to spread the load we ask people to use the landline for incoming.

Oh the joys of the puppy days :blink: :S
He’s cute though at least
64909302-0F0C-4FDC-9A63-817AB72DC5C8.jpeg
657A26FE-3169-4E41-A30E-FF1D6244E8A6.jpeg
F5BC9030-1060-4E60-9A0C-8788F45F7196.jpeg

Starting to build my floral arch for my wedding. Took me about 5 and a half hours to get this far. Took the photo inside behind the screen to allow for a full view.
Now I have to rest because my farmers market tomorrow starts at 8 am which in my opinion is much too early because that means we have to load the van and unload and set everything up even earlier 🥲
1528E9CD-CB5D-4A00-9110-EB04223A1033.jpeg

Starting to build my floral arch for my wedding. Took me about 5 and a half hours to get this far. Took the photo inside behind the screen to allow for a full view.
Now I have to rest because my farmers market tomorrow starts at 8 am which in my opinion is much too early because that means we have to load the van and unload and set everything up even earlier 🥲 View attachment 323508
Its a beautiful place! Wow! You guys chose nicely

Most reactions

Back