What are you doing today?

I'm studying at the Library. Some guy clear on the other side of the big, main room, about 30 yards away, is having a conversation on his cell phone, practicing the "cell yell." Either he thinks everyone is as fascinated by his conversation as he is, or he's too hard of hearing to know how loud he's being, or he simply doesn't care.

Remember, children: People come to the library to read and study. It may be hard to believe, but they really don't want to listen to you talk. 😆

I'm studying at the Library. Some guy clear on the other side of the big, main room, about 30 yards away, is having a conversation on his cell phone, practicing the "cell yell." Either he thinks everyone is as fascinated by his conversation as he is, or he's too hard of hearing to know how loud he's being, or he simply doesn't care.

Remember, children: People come to the library to read and study. It may be hard to believe, but they really don't want to listen to you talk. 😆
Sit next to him and start talking on your phone too, but reply to whatever he's saying in his conversation....when he looks at you funny you can just smile and say "sorry, am I disturbing you? Just my mum on the phone..."

Sit next to him and start talking on your phone too, but reply to whatever he's saying in his conversation....when he looks at you funny you can just smile and say "sorry, am I disturbing you? Just my mum on the phone..."
The Two Ronnies did it well...

This is one of the reasons that I hate cell phones and don't carry one. It isn't the technology that I hate; it is the rudeness and and self righteousness and entitlement that too many show in the usage of the technology. Nothing worse to ruin a mood than taking someone on a dinner date and some jerk at the next table thinking they own the place and loudly using their cell. It is just a lack of consideration for those around you which is WAY too prevalent these days. Personally I think that cell phones should be banned from any indoor public place such as libraries and restaurants excluding emergency usage. Oh, as to the cell phone user ruining a dinner date, if it happens without employee stopping I don't tend to return to the place.

Oh... and don't even get me going on the practice of feeling free to take videos of me eating to show off the place!!!! It is my dinner which I paid for; let me eat in peace! I've even seen this done by restaurant staff to promote the place.

I think it well known that I am quite 'old school' in my attitudes about both, fish keeping and living, but this garbage is just a matter plain common courtesy. The problem is that there is just not much common courtesy today. It is just a matter of common sense. The problem is that 'common sense' tends to be VERY uncommon.

I wish I had read this before the guy left. ha ha

This is one of the reasons that I hate cell phones and don't carry one. It isn't the technology that I hate; it is the rudeness and and self righteousness and entitlement that too many show in the usage of the technology. Nothing worse to ruin a mood than taking someone on a dinner date and some jerk at the next table thinking they own the place and loudly using their cell. It is just a lack of consideration for those around you which is WAY too prevalent these days. Personally I think that cell phones should be banned from any indoor public place such as libraries and restaurants excluding emergency usage. Oh, as to the cell phone user ruining a dinner date, if it happens without employee stopping I don't tend to return to the place.

Oh... and don't even get me going on the practice of feeling free to take videos of me eating to show off the place!!!! It is my dinner which I paid for; let me eat in peace! I've even seen this done by restaurant staff to promote the place.

I think it well known that I am quite 'old school' in my attitudes about both, fish keeping and living, but this garbage is just a matter plain common courtesy. The problem is that there is just not much common courtesy today. It is just a matter of common sense. The problem is that 'common sense' tends to be VERY uncommon.
Oh, something I meant to add. Most libraries would actually have rules against such cell usage. The issue is that libraries are largely now considered archaic due to the ease of finding information on-line. This means that they are drastically under staffed and have now real way to enforce the rules/standards to be applied within the library.

I'm tearing my hair out. That's the third time our broadband connection has dropped out in the last 58 minutes.
It started on Tuesday, from around 1.30 pm to early evening, dropping every half hour or so. Our elder son is on a different exchange and he said while he was listening to music on his alexa device he lost connection a few times as well.
Yesterday I know of only one drop out, that was 1.50 pm just before I did a water change so I don't know if it dropped out after that.
Today it started at 1.42 pm.

Apart from Virgin users (which has its own cabling network) is anyone else in the UK having broadband problems during the afternoons?

I'd just posted that and the connection dropped AGAIN.

I clicked post for this message, and guess what, no broadband connection :mad:

disconnect power from modem and router.. 1 minute later reconnect them and see if that cures it.
If not, time for a call to customer service.

go to the downdetctor site and see if areas noted by color on the map are in your area? This would indicate that others in your area are having trouble too.

I've tried all that, but it's curious that our son on a different exchange is also suffering connection losses at the same time. And why only during the afternoon, not in the mornings or evening? Is BT up to something?

In the UK, there are two phone/broadband networks, Virgin has their own and every other provider uses BT cables. We are with BT, our son is with Plusnet, both using BT cables on different exchanges and both suffering connection loss.
What's happening is that I try to do something on-line (open a page, make a post etc) and nothing. So I look at the router and the orange light is flashing. Sometimes I get a red flashing 'b' symbol, sometimes a steady orange 'b', then back to flashing orange light then steady blue and connected again.

I've looked at the "isthisservicedown" website and yes, there are red dots all over the country with 63% of reported problems being with internet. That's why I'm wondering if BT (the owner of the cable) is doing something.

Heard a good quote today, on the TV show "Alone." Good words to live by.

"I don't make excuses for my failures, because to do so would deprive me of my victories." --Cade Cole

I've tried all that, but it's curious that our son on a different exchange is also suffering connection losses at the same time. And why only during the afternoon, not in the mornings or evening? Is BT up to something?

In the UK, there are two phone/broadband networks, Virgin has their own and every other provider uses BT cables. We are with BT, our son is with Plusnet, both using BT cables on different exchanges and both suffering connection loss.
What's happening is that I try to do something on-line (open a page, make a post etc) and nothing. So I look at the router and the orange light is flashing. Sometimes I get a red flashing 'b' symbol, sometimes a steady orange 'b', then back to flashing orange light then steady blue and connected again.

I've looked at the "isthisservicedown" website and yes, there are red dots all over the country with 63% of reported problems being with internet. That's why I'm wondering if BT (the owner of the cable) is doing something.
Could possibly have something to do with sunspot activity which is currently on the rise but I'd give a call to customer service to narrow down the cause.

Most reactions

Back