What are you doing today?

Decided that I need a day clock but am not going to pay the price for the one previously imaged. Been narrowing it down today and am down to 2. This is the most likely at $24.90USD. Just seems like me and can replace my kitchen clock that hasn't worked in ages. :)

clock2.jpg

Did a biweeky water change on my 5 gallon.. I only do a water change every 14 days as tank is well planted and only has a neon tetra and an amano shrimp as occcupants. The tetra is a a 4 year old survivor who has survived from being moved 3 times, survived heater failure, survived a power failure for 12 hours as room temps dropped to 45 F, and survived a bout of ich. His name is Lucky as I feel he is very lucky to be alive.

Last edited:
I have made a genius invention. I mentioned somewhere on here that I was repairing six old tanks. 4 were tanks I guessed at being 20gg, but upon using a calculator, are 33 gallons. 2 were little 10s.

Today, I filled them.

I have a tank that changes its own water. Once.

A side seam split in a 33 - right beside a sink and a floor drain. It is actually quite beautiful to see water arcing out like that. It held for half an hour, and then just cut loose.

I would never, ever use a homemade or repaired tank inside a house. They are basement and garage material.

I have made a genius invention. I mentioned somewhere on here that I was repairing six old tanks. 4 were tanks I guessed at being 20gg, but upon using a calculator, are 33 gallons. 2 were little 10s.

Today, I filled them.

A side seam split in a 33 - right beside a sink and a floor drain. It is actually quite beautiful to see water arcing out like that. It held for half an hour, and then just cut loose.

I would never, ever use a homemade or repaired tank inside a house. They are basement and garage material.
I self built a tank once and it actually was fine but it was small in the area of 10-15 gallons. I would never even consider building a large tank. I know how but don't have the equipment to totally plum the edges and it would probably cost more for the tools than buying the tank. The problem is that if the joined edges are not true 90 degree angles the joint will be weak. At a guess I would imagine that these joints would need to be within one degree of true, mayhaps less.

I played a war games for years called Axis & Allies. First as a board game and then online.

A friend of mine and I have played A&A for about 25 years. Twenty years ago he made a hand-painted board the size of a dining room table. For his 50th birthday I hand-painted about 600 A&A pieces. Here's a small sampling (in retrospect, I wish I had taken close-ups).

Attachments

• IMG_20211120_171832[1].jpg
    IMG_20211120_171832[1].jpg
    323.2 KB · Views: 15
A friend of mine and I have played A&A for about 25 years. Twenty years ago he made a hand-painted board the size of a dining room table. For his 50th birthday I hand-painted about 600 A&A pieces. Here's a small sampling (in retrospect, I wish I had taken close-ups).
Ah, you bring back memories. Back in the 90s, when I was younger and dumber, I would get together with friends for all night Axis and Allies games. One person would play each country, and as the night went on the accents would get better and better. :) We'd usually start after supper and finish around four or five in the morning. Strategic geniuses, we were. We also tried out various home-grown mods to the rules, including the most excellent "paratrooper" rule, wherein a bomber squadron can carry an infantry unit and drop it anywhere along its flight path.

Your friend's game board and your painted pieces sound most excellent. :)

Ah, you bring back memories. Back in the 90s, when I was younger and dumber, I would get together with friends for all night Axis and Allies games. One person would play each country, and as the night went on the accents would get better and better. :) We'd usually start after supper and finish around four or five in the morning. Strategic geniuses, we were. We also tried out various home-grown mods to the rules, including the most excellent "paratrooper" rule, wherein a bomber squadron can carry an infantry unit and drop it anywhere along its flight path.

Your friend's game board and your painted pieces sound most excellent. :)

I was just reflecting on our games when we were both bachelors, which usually ended around 4am. Love your paratrooper mod. We also added our own mods. It's the perfect game for us because I usually lose and my friend is a sore loser.

Last edited:

Today, I filled them.

Gary, I've been using repaired tanks since I bought my slate bottomed metal bound 29 in 2000. Rule 1: be sure all interior silicone is removed, clean seam areas with alcohol. Rule 2, buy extra silicone and be generous, working quickly so no curing occurs before you finish. I have a 40 long full in my living room right now I resealed last fall or winter. No drips. Just don't be cheap with the silicone. You can do this. I resealed that old 29 twice but the frame allows some movement so a little seep occasionally showed up, sold it a couple of years ago to a collector.

Water exchange day. Also the day to refill my bird feeders. We saw 2 pileated woodpeckers in the bird bath yesterday. Four year old granddaughter is my assistant today 😎

Finishing breakfast and deciding what to do next...so many options (none of which I really want to do).

Just got done watching a Cleveland Baseball game. They drive me nuts! Ten games into the season and already four extra inning games although they won all four.

While watching the game I did a lot of re-writing on my animated GIF gallery web site. First I got rid of a pretty cheesy title/splash page. Well, actually, I could not get rid of it or I would have broke the file/folder structure of the site. Instead I re-wrote the page to just make it automatically jump/redirect to the main gallery. Years ago I used to have an active feedback/guestbook on the site and killed but never got rid of the text for it as there are well over 100 site pages involved which would have taken forever and a day to manually change and also be tedious. There was also a link to my old computer business on all these pages. Then I had one of those 'DUH!' moments. My site editor (Dreamweaver 8) has a global find and replace function. I just did a search for what I wanted to get rid of through the entire site and had it replace with a space. Turned 'forever and a day' to about five minutes. As is normal I ran into a few glitches, including a few files I had to edit manually, but it all works. :) Probably spent more time re-uploading everything to my hosting than I spent editing. The site is antiquated but still works fine. Since it was my first major site and is totally hand coded from scratch, and has had over two million unique visitors, I figure that I did something right and am a bit proud. ;)

Went to see D&D, it was good...the 4 adult males sitting right behind us kicking the chairs, shouting male genetalia vocabulary, snoring and talking during the movie...not so great.👶🚼

Most reactions

Back