Warehouses Fishless Cycling Log

Probably a coincidence but I put a tiny bit of fish food in there 2 days ago.

I put some fish food in mine too, it seemed to get the ball rolling again after my 2ppm standstill. :good:

Always good to see Millwall get beaten ;)
oh and congratulations.
Now another period of dreaded wait and see.

Day 21: Ammonia = 1 Nitrite = 0.5 PH = 7.6 PH High = 8.2 Nitrate = 40

Coming along nicely now, so took another trip to another LFS today and purchased a few plants for the tank. I wanted to be sure the ammonia was dropping fast before leaving the lights on for 6 hours a day and also wanted to give the plants at least 2 weeks fish free. One plant is tied to the bogwood, (the Fern), and the others are planted thinly but deep in the sand, with clay balls nearby. I left the centre of the tank free as I have another couple of nice peices of wood that are currently being boiled! I intend to have more plant life in time.

160od50.jpg

2nlfo0j.jpg

Day 22:Ammonia = <0.25 Nitrite = 0 PH = 7.6 PH High = 8.2. Redosed to 5ppm.

OK, I understand you're supposed to let the Ammonia get to absolutely 0 before topping up, but i don't think I've ever seen the test tube completely yellow during this whole process, (even on Day 16 there was the faintest tinge of green). Seeing some of the scare stories recently on fishless cycles, (gazanimals 10 days stuck at 2ppm being the classic example), I'm not prepared to risk killing off the ammonia and nitrite bacteria so if it's under 0.25ppm then I'm happy with that. You have to ask, when does a tank with fish ever produce no ammonia for 24 hours?

Gingerly onwards!

I'm nearly on day 40 and have never seen the test tube completely yellow either (even when checking in daylight).

Day 23: Ammonia 1 Nitrite 0.25 PH 7.6 PH High 8.2

My 2 peices of bogwood have had 2 nights with 2 lots of boiling water. Now do I watch the Barcelona match or arrange the wood in the tank? Decisions decisions.
Now I have a few plants in there, what is the optimum time for leaving the lights on per day. Currently I'm running them from 3pm to 9pm, so about 6 hours daily. Is this about right for now or should this figure be revised?

every time you put the wood in boiling water you cause it to expand and release tannins, you only need to boil it once to be rid of nasties. if you keep doing it, it will never stop leaking them :) chuck em in bucket outside till your tank is cycled and change the water when you get home nightly. :>

my lights are on from 8am till 10pm, things seem to be doing "ok" but i only run one bulb as i have cory fry in a net and i dont want to blind them to buggery all day long :eek:

seriously looking into the DIY CO2 thing next month too :D

Day 24: Ammonia <0.25 Nitrite 0 PH 7.6 PH High 8.2

Redosed to 5ppm Ammonia. The bacteria seem to be working just fine, so it's just a waiting game for the colonies to grow large enough to munch through the Ammonia and Nitrite in 24 hours, then it's 12 hour testing. I must admit to being a little concerned about the 12 hour tests, as I really struggle for time in the morning, (usually leave home just after 7am). I'm thinking that I may have to switch the Ammonia dosing to the morning as it's so quick to do, then do the 12 hour tests in the evening, however I really can't be doing with the whiff of Ammonia that early :sick:.

Thanks for the words Tizer, I have the 2 bits of wood in fresh, (cold), water right now, but I'm sure they'll be in there by Saturday! Will be researching more plants to buy at the weekend.

sounds like things are moving along nicely now warehouse. some good readings there.

I have been lucky with my cycle. Am on day 19 and both amm and nitrites are being processed to 0ppm in 12 hours. I test and dose at 8am and test again at 8pm and for 2 days now it has been a 12 hour drop. so, plants are in-situ and I am lighting them for around 12 hours a day so we will see what happens. I havent bothered with bogwood just yet but am gonna wait and see what pH does. It dropped spontaneously yesterday to 6.8 but as I was cycling I decided to bicarb it up to 8.0 again to keep things running and it seems to have worked. Pleasing to know that it drops on its own tho.

Love your tank m8. I wish I could talk the missus into letting me have something larger than my 98l juwel.
incidentally I chucked a bottle of safestart into my water at the start of the cycle and feel this could be responsible for the encouraging results so perhaps you have done the right thing adding it to yours as well.

Thanks for the words Tizer, I have the 2 bits of wood in fresh, (cold), water right now, but I'm sure they'll be in there by Saturday! Will be researching more plants to buy at the weekend.

I got some Dwarf Hairgrass about this time last week, i trimmed it down to about 4 inches and planted it, it seems to be a strong little plant so far. deffinately worth a look at.

I got some Dwarf Hairgrass about this time last week, i trimmed it down to about 4 inches and planted it, it seems to be a strong little plant so far. deffinately worth a look at.

Consider it looked at!

Day 25: Ammonia 1 Nitrite 0.25 PH 7.6 PH High 8.2

Things improve day by day, Nitrite is processing faster than the last time I dosed so a positive note. Hopfully this time next week the Ammonia will be gone in 24 hour slots.

Day 26: Ammonia <0.25 Nitrite 0 PH 7.6 PH High 8.2

I'm going to wait until morning to redose the Ammonia as I want to see a yellow test tube first.

Went out and got a few more plants today, then this evening I finally put the last 2 bits of bogwood in the tank and planted the new plants. I'm still not sure of how long to leave the lights on for, any pointers? here's a couple of pics:

The 2 new bits of wood, fully boiled and rinsed a few times:
34h6l29.jpg

The young tank of plants. I can't wait to see it full of greenery, (and fish):
2dln9m1.jpg

Day 27: Ammonia 0 Nitrite 0 PH 7.6 PH High 8.2: Re-dosed to 5ppm

Most reactions

Back