Warehouses Fishless Cycling Log

HELP!!!

Day 32: Ammonia 1 Nitrite 0.5 PH 7.6 PH High 7.4!!!

I seem to have a PH issue, hence why the cycle seems to be a bit stuck. Over the last week or so I haven't been holding the PH tubes up to the chart as the PH is blue, (7.6), and the PH High is browinsh, (8.2). I looked a bit closer tonight as ammonia is going down, but not increasing in speed over the last 10 days or so. When I looked closer at the PH High tube, the colour is most definately closer to 7.4 than any other colour, but PH is definately 7.6. Can someone tell me the difference between Ph and PH high, and why my ph reading is higher than the PH High reading?

Anyway, it would appear that I need to raise the PH to over 8 again so I'm off to buy some bicarbonate of soda, and hopefully have a reply or 2 when I get back.

Hello Warehouse,
pH test will give you results for acidic, neutral and low alkaline levels and the high pH test is for low to high alkaline levels. Its my understanding that when you are presented with a 7.6 level from the pH test kit you should test with the high pH and its with this result that predicts your actual pH level.
When you buy your baking soda make sure its only content is sodium bicarbonate. While you are cycling i would only use the pH test because your only concern is your pH level crashing to 6.8 and below.

Keith.

From what I've read, the bacteria prefer 8+ PH when cycling?

Well I added some bicarbonate of soda last night, sprinkled 2 teaspoons worth into the tank, (didn't dissolve it first in tankwater as I read afterwards :( ), now I wonder how much I've dumped into the filter? PH tested again after 30+ minutes, no change whatsoever. Not happy. I'll test again tonight and add it correctly if showing lower.

The figures dont have to be spot on perfect, it just means it might take a day(s) longer or even a day(s) shorter to cycle. Nature is a little chaotic :) I dont believe in adding extra chemicals to the tap water to raise or lower levels of **. With Marine aquariums things might be a little different, but fresh water is exactly that, fresh. :>

Day 33: Ammonia 0 Nitrite 0 PH 7.6 PH High 8.2 (triple checked). The Bicarb does seem to have bumped it back up a little but I still have the hump that I was stupid enough to sprinkle it straight into the tank, what an idiot :whistle:.

Things are happening now, a big ammonia drop, a 2nd Nitrite spike and another PH fall, all in 24 hours!

Day 34: Ammonia 0.25, Nitrite 5, PH 7.6, PH High 7.4

It appears the Ammonia eating chaps have upped their game, a new personal best in 24 hours. Due to this, the Nitrite gang have been caught with their pants down and have been unable to process the sudden extra Nitrite being produced. This is good news. Is it a coincedence that just before this personal best I upped the PH with bicarb? I think not.

Tonights measurement also showed the PH dropped again, so another 2 teaspoons of bicarb were added, (correctly this time).

From the last few days measurements, it would appear that my PH being below 7.6 didn't stall the cycle, but it definately slowed it. Adding the bicarb recently has kicked the ammonia boys into overdrive. I feel a big leap forward has occured.

Day 35: Ammoia 0 Nitrite 0 PH 7.6 PH High 8.2+

That test tube tonight was as yellow as I've ever seen the ammonia, and as light blue as I've ever seen the Nitrite. I am expecting a 24 hour 0 reading of Ammonia tomorrow, hopefully the nitrite will catch up too. Re-dosed to 5ppm.

We're going away for a long weekend soon, leaving early morning on Friday April 1st, returning early evening Sunday 3rd. Obviously it would be silly to get fish, even if the tank is fully cycled by then, but I'm more concerned that the bacteria will be without ammonia for a few days. I'll make sure I does up to 5ppm on Friday morning, but will the bacteria be harmed by the long wait for more ammonia?

It does start to die off but for a long weekend you shouldnt have to worry, the amount of ammonia you have been adding is enough for quite a large bioload and would keep the bacteria happy for the long weekend im sure. If you got a few quid to spare one of those automatic fish feeders with a dose of ammonia in it might do the trick for a top up while you are away, or perhaps leave some fish flake in water and when you leave the house just dump it into the tank. personally, i wouldnt worry but a the fish feeder might be a useful purchase for a later date so its not really wasted money. Im off to Barbados at the end of April for 10 nights, hoping the father inlaw will be dropping in to feed my fish! i may even pickup a feeder myself tomorrow :eek:

actually as an after thought i think you should go down the mission impossible route and leave a candle church burning and set it up to burn through some rope and plop some ammonia in the tank! :eek:

Day 36: Ammonia 0.25 Nitrite 5 PH 7.6 PH High 8.2

Otherwise nothing to report except the brown stuff appears to be moving in!

Day 37: Ammonia 0 Nitrite 5 So redosed to 5ppm

Day 38: Ammonia 0 Nitrite 2 PH 7.6 PH High 8.2

Woohoo, we have our first 24 hour Ammonia 0, (well actually it was more like 27 hours as I was out until 10 tonight). Nitrite is catching up fast as well.

Since I got the PH back to 8.2 after the 2 drops the cycle has accelerated big time. Happy days.

Day 39: Ammonia = 0 Nitrite = 5 PH = 7.6 PH High = 8.2

The 5ppm of ammonia was processed in less than 24 hours, (dosed at 10pm, measured at 7pm). Nitrites are being produced faster than they can be consumed now that the A-bacs are getting up to full speed. I redosed to 5ppm ammonia. As soon as the Nitrites catch up I'll be starting 12 hour testing, woohoo.

Most reactions

Back