Unpopular Opinions (fish related)

Why can't we buy them in UK?
Because they are voracious eaters, breed freely, and half-wits who end up with too many would end up dumping releasing them into the wild and as they have no natural predators in the uk they would become incredibly invasive and would destroy the natural ecosystem of the area and then they would make their way into the waterways and eventually destroy everything in their slimy Gastropodal path, destroying what is left of civilicasiton as we know it.

I expect.

I agree with that and also with fish I don't really like neon tetra and especially glofish
By "glofish" do you mean glowlight tetras? If so, you, sir are a cad and a poltroon!

Glowlight tetras are the delight of my life.

Neons, however, are buggers! :<

By "glofish" do you mean glowlight tetras? If so, you, sir are a cad and a poltroon!

Glowlight tetras are the delight of my life.

Neons, however, are buggers! :<
No, not Glowlight, GlowFish.
98278B80-5863-47B2-8703-0AFEEDF4D0ED.jpeg

(https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07147R7N3/?tag=ff0d01-20)

Because they are voracious eaters, breed freely, and half-wits who end up with too many would end up dumping releasing them into the wild and as they have no natural predators in the uk they would become incredibly invasive and would destroy the natural ecosystem of the area and then they would make their way into the waterways and eventually destroy everything in their slimy Gastropodal path, destroying what is left of civilicasiton as we know it.

I expect.

According to Defra, apple snails are a pest of rice in southern Asia and taro in Hawaii and have been damaging rice in Spain. But the EU has a one size fits all policy, so they had to be banned in countries where we don't grow rice. Maybe one day, now that we have officially left the EU, the UK government will get round to repealing that bit of legislation, but it'll be a long time before they get round to it.

Yes I have and I would never buy one. No Glo-Fish ever! People need to realize all those "cute and goofy looking" are actually birth defects. Imagine the likely pain/suffering and poor quality of life they must have. But as far as genetics, I am just fine with selective breeding for things such as colors or patterns provided they do not cause any health issues. I've had experience with doing just this breeding other critters, such as ball pythons. Certain combinations of genetics will produce perfectly healthy and magnificent animals. Others, can cause deformities, neurological disorders or even be lethal when combined. Examples such as the spider and champagne gene causes neurological disorders, homozygous cinnamon and black pastel often produce deformities such as kinking, duckbill and bug eyes and certain combinations such as spider x champagne and homozygous champagne is lethal. This is exactly what is happening with the aforementioned fish. We owe it to these animals to be responsible when selectively breeding and put their wellbeing ahead of profits and personal preferences.
As soon as you mentioned other critters we shouldn't breed, I thought of spider ball pythons.
And certain breeds of dog could very easily be bred to move them back towards their original, much more functional and healthy forms.

Ok, my turn.... Neon or brightly colored gravel and plants are hideous and should be banned from the Pet Trade!!
Sorry if you have Pink, Orange, or Purple gravel and plants, and I have offended you...
Actually, no, not sorry!! Lol... Gravel and plants should look natural, and not be Techno Colors!!
Phew, I feel so much better getting that off my chest!!! :p :D
I was this girl. "I want a PRETTY tank". It lasted about 2 weeks before I removed all the colored stuff. BUT...I still have a sinking ship deco. :ninja:

According to Defra, apple snails are a pest of rice in southern Asia and taro in Hawaii and have been damaging rice in Spain. But the EU has a one size fits all policy, so they had to be banned in countries where we don't grow rice. Maybe one day, now that we have officially left the EU, the UK government will get round to repealing that bit of legislation, but it'll be a long time before they get round to it.

I'm not in disagreement with banning them for this reason though. Its not illegal where im at, I even own an adorable apple snail. BUT theyre also invasive in our water ways too.

And having one of my own, they are voracious plant predators of all kinds. One apple snail can take out all of the salvinia in a tank in one night. Just imagine a whole slew of them in native water ways!

That said, they ARE cute. But I cannot disagree with banning them for their potential threat to local waterways because people are dumb and dump them or flush them.

Oh God, it's burning my retinas! :eek:

Edit: @Lomaxf Sorry, I missed your post. Blood parrots are a hybrid between a midas and redhead cichlid. They suffer many health issues and get their unique shape due to the deformities caused by this hybridization.
Ah, the couler of the tank is horrible, but gloFish are genetically modified to appease young children which bright plants and stuff like that also do so that's how most gloFish tanks are set up

Most reactions

Back