Unpopular Opinions (fish related)

Ah, the couler of the tank is horrible, but gloFish are genetically modified to appease young children which bright plants and stuff like that also do so that's how most gloFish tanks are set up
Glowfish actually came about when scientists were trying to devise a way to test pollution in waters, using bioluminescent DNA taken from marine animals. Then it was taken and used to sell fish to kids.

I don't like it, I don't like the idea of modifying animals for the pet trade, fish are good enough in their natural state, but I'm not gonna argue with the good the scientists behind it were trying to do.
https://www.petmd.com/fish/what-are-glofish

Ah, the couler of the tank is horrible, but gloFish are genetically modified to appease young children which bright plants and stuff like that also do so that's how most gloFish tanks are set up
Not 100% true.

While yes they are marketed to children because they are bright coloured and such, they were originally for a project to detect the presence of pollution and toxins in water. To fund further research to produce a fish like this, they marketed glofish. And they targeted kids for this because most adults aren't fond of bright colours like the fish are.

Theyre not injected with dyes or stripped of their slime coat like dyed fish used to be, luckily.

The scientific aspect of them is fascinating and has a purpose, but the fish themselves don't appeal to many serious fish keepers.

That said, i do have a glofish tetra lol I did not like them at all before, I found them gimmicky and just clashed with the natural look. But asked my husband to pick up some more skirt tetras for us when we needed a few more for our school, he came home with glofish skirts. Theyre not too bad out of the horrible lighting lol but probably not something I'd still go out of my way to buy for myself.

I have 3 Julii Corys and they're the cutest and most entertaining fish on the planet. I want all of them.
So many cories, not enough tanks hahaha

I've got:
Trilineatus (what your julii probably are as true juliis are extremely rare in the hobby)
Aeneus
Paleatus
Sterbai
Ambiacus
Leucomelas
Schultzei
Weitzmani
Pygmaeus

Not 100% true.

While yes they are marketed to children because they are bright coloured and such, they were originally for a project to detect the presence of pollution and toxins in water. To fund further research to produce a fish like this, they marketed glofish. And they targeted kids for this because most adults aren't fond of bright colours like the fish are.

Theyre not injected with dyes or stripped of their slime coat like dyed fish used to be, luckily.

The scientific aspect of them is fascinating and has a purpose, but the fish themselves don't appeal to many serious fish keepers.

That said, i do have a glofish tetra lol I did not like them at all before, I found them gimmicky and just clashed with the natural look. But asked my husband to pick up some more skirt tetras for us when we needed a few more for our school, he came home with glofish skirts. Theyre not too bad out of the horrible lighting lol but probably not something I'd still go out of my way to buy for myself.
I agree

Wow , I didn't know that. I also don't like the fact that they have exploited for money
Here's a debate
It's a bit long so you have to skip to the gloFish bit
I have to agree on the exploition.

Though, its smart business to fund a project in that way.

But, it also means its trendy and kids get bored fast so many dont get proper care, so lots of suffering on that aspect

I have to agree on the exploition.

Though, its smart business to fund a project in that way.

But, it also means its trendy and kids get bored fast so many dont get proper care, so lots of suffering on that aspect
Yeah so that means a lot of the fish that just wanted to live die/ live in unhealthy conditions

Yeah so that means a lot of the fish that just wanted to live die/ live in unhealthy conditions
yep. And it goes for so many fish.

I especially side eye turning the tiger barb into a gmo fish. How many have fallen victim to these mean little things in the small tanks marketed for them?

Y
yep. And it goes for so many fish.

I especially side eye turning the tiger barb into a gmo fish. How many have fallen victim to these mean little things in the small tanks marketed for them?
Yes I remember my first tank I really wanted a rainbow shark or a red fin and a lot of other people did the same age . I wonder what would happen if they sold them

Oh, and this is my remaining GMO fish.
received_641667059943610.jpeg

Oh wow, I didn't know they'd done it to tiger barbs too. "Hey kids! Buy all these glowy fish! Then wake up to half of your new tank dead".
theyve got:

Tiger barbs
Zebra danios
Skirt tetras
Rainbow sharks
Bettas

What a combo D: and most only market 5 and 10 gallon kit tanks for them.

Glowfish actually came about when scientists were trying to devise a way to test pollution in waters, using bioluminescent DNA taken from marine animals. Then it was taken and used to sell fish to kids.

I don't like it, I don't like the idea of modifying animals for the pet trade, fish are good enough in their natural state, but I'm not gonna argue with the good the scientists behind it were trying to do.
https://www.petmd.com/fish/what-are-glofish
I’m not sure where you read that, but that is incorrect:

“The original zebrafish (or zebra danio, Danio rerio) is a native of rivers in Indiaand Bangladesh. It measures three centimeters long and has gold and dark blue stripes. In 1999, Dr. Zhiyuan Gong[2] and his colleagues at the National University of Singapore were working with a gene that encodes the green fluorescent protein (GFP), originally extracted from a jellyfish, that naturally produced bright green fluorescence. They inserted the gene into a zebrafish embryo, allowing it to integrate into the zebrafish's genome, which caused the fish to be brightly fluorescent under both natural white light and ultraviolet light. Their goal was to develop a fish that could detect pollution by selectively fluorescing in the presence of environmental toxins. The development of the constantly fluorescing fish was the first step in this process, and the National University of Singapore filed a patent application on this work.[3] Shortly thereafter, his team developed a line of red fluorescent zebra fish by adding a gene from a sea coral, and orange-yellow fluorescent zebra fish, by adding a variant of the jellyfish gene. Later, a team of researchers at the National Taiwan University, headed by Professor Huai-Jen Tsai (蔡懷禎), succeeded in creating a medaka (rice fish) with a fluorescent green color, which, like the zebrafish, is a model organism used in biology.”

(https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/GloFish)

As you can see, they were not made by accident. They were created on purpose, and I just think it’s cruel. The original fish is beautiful, and shame on anyone who says otherwise. :(

Most reactions

Back