Tyler's 29Gal. Tank Project!

You are wild. I just would not have enough time. With work, my computer games... haha, and working on my house here and there. I just would get bored with it if I had to spend that much time taking care of them all.

I am excited to once again have livestock. I have gotten particular in checking salinity every other day just to make sure its perfect. I added two new snails last week and acclimated like 1.5-2 hours. They are doing circles around the tank. Had them over a week-10 days now. Checked ammonia again today.... it looks like about .10 ppm. I have two kits same manufacturer and they both came out the same.

BTW ducans grow fast but slow. Water change today!

-Tyler

You are wild. I just would not have enough time. With work, my computer games... haha, and working on my house here and there. I just would get bored with it if I had to spend that much time taking care of them all.

I am excited to once again have livestock. I have gotten particular in checking salinity every other day just to make sure its perfect. I added two new snails last week and acclimated like 1.5-2 hours. They are doing circles around the tank. Had them over a week-10 days now. Checked ammonia again today.... it looks like about .10 ppm. I have two kits same manufacturer and they both came out the same.

BTW ducans grow fast but slow. Water change today!

-Tyler

The RO/DI makes things rather easy. I also don't play computer games. :lol:

You're almost there! Looking forward to you having livestock again.

L

So yesterday I received in the mail... A mag float magnet cleaner for the tank!. ITS AMAZING!!!!! I love how fast and easy it cleans w/out having to have my hands in the tank, and the minimal effort required. Just thought I would share my excitement.

-Tyler

You most probably already know this but in the 0,1% chance you do not;
BE VERY WARY OF SAND!
if one grain of sand gets between there, it's byebye beautiful window!

I just use white stuff for filters. (the stuff you get by the kilo's :D, in dutch they're called (filter-watten), i don't know what it is called in English)

Removes all the algae with a little scrub and if some sand gets between the material, it is absorbed and doesn't scratch at all (at least, not that i have noticed).

I don not have experience with the stuff that gets on your windows in saltwater tanks though :)

You most probably already know this but in the 0,1% chance you do not;
BE VERY WARY OF SAND!
if one grain of sand gets between there, it's byebye beautiful window!

I just use white stuff for filters. (the stuff you get by the kilo's :D, in dutch they're called (filter-watten), i don't know what it is called in English)

Removes all the algae with a little scrub and if some sand gets between the material, it is absorbed and doesn't scratch at all (at least, not that i have noticed).

I don not have experience with the stuff that gets on your windows in saltwater tanks though :)

I will keep this in mind. I have not had any problems yet. It seems that the pad is off the glass a bit and would allow grains of sand to fall through. I will make sure I check though! Thank you for the heads up!

-Tyler

I will keep this in mind. I have not had any problems yet. It seems that the pad is off the glass a bit and would allow grains of sand to fall through. I will make sure I check though! Thank you for the heads up!

-Tyler

It's just that I had it with a slightly older magnet. Sometimes a grain of sand got between the magnet and the sand.
Let's just say that's 10 years ago and the scratches are still visible :)

My friends boss just asked me if I'd like to buy his 90 gallon tank setup because he just upgraded.

It includes....

-90 Gallon Tank with overflow
-Stand / Canopy with Lighting (metal halide)
-Live Rock (80-100 pounds)
-Sump with pumps and piping....

WOW big setup. I will get some pictures maybe.

He wants $500 USD for ALL of it.... The tank alone is $300. Honestly is a huge steal... I just dunno if I have enough money! lol.

What do you guys think? maybe for future upgrade?

-Tyler

I think 100 pounds of live rock will cost you that much and more. (here: 45kg * around 11-15€/kg = 495-675€, that's 653-890 USD!!!)

If everything is still working, that IS indeed a steal.
You can use it for years and make a profit later on when you should ever decide to sell it.

If had the money and the room, and want to upgrade anyhows, i'd do it.

Oh boy... I think i'm gonna do it.

I need to reinforce my floor, (good thing I work with contractors).

I will see pictures today. My friend saw pics and says it looks bad A S S. I will post them up tonight. I am just hoping its not infested with algae or something lol.

-Tyler Lee

Go for it! That's how I picked up my 8g. The lights in that tank retail for $750. I didn't pay anywhere near that for the whole tank.

Steals in this aspect of the hobby are hard to come by.

L

I have a feeling this setup is worth more than $3,000.... The stand alone is immaculate which I estimate at close to $500. With the sump, pump, tank, stand, skimmer, powerheads, rock, lighting, etc. I am thinking its an absolute steal. I guess his wife just doesn't want it anymore... I don't think they really had much in it and didn't get it to it's full potential. This is a HUGE tank. It is 3 times bigger than what I have now. I will have to buy an RO/DI machine with the amount of water ill be needing. I still want both tanks lol. Can keep the small one as more of an entry tank... its FOUR FEET LONG! I will be able to keep a tang =) lol.

I am scared yet excited.

-Tyler

I have a feeling this setup is worth more than $3,000.... The stand alone is immaculate which I estimate at close to $500. With the sump, pump, tank, stand, skimmer, powerheads, rock, lighting, etc. I am thinking its an absolute steal. I guess his wife just doesn't want it anymore... I don't think they really had much in it and didn't get it to it's full potential. This is a HUGE tank. It is 3 times bigger than what I have now. I will have to buy an RO/DI machine with the amount of water ill be needing. I still want both tanks lol. Can keep the small one as more of an entry tank... its FOUR FEET LONG! I will be able to keep a tang =) lol.

I am scared yet excited.

-Tyler

You'll be fine. With all that extra equipment, you won't have to be so anal about maintenance. And yes, you can probably have a tang. :D I cannot lift so much water. I'll stay with my picos for now. LOLOL

L

I have a sponge in my tank. I found this picture that is VERY similar to the one in my tank. Mine has a couple small pink/translucent tubes on it as opposed to the picture here.

Should I be worried about this?

sponge.jpg

Removed two aptasias that were in the middle of my small zoas =/ had to break the rock and pull the section out. The tentas were stinging the zoas and they didnt want to open. I did get them out though, so they are a little spaced out now, but back to opening all the way again.

-Tyler

I have majanos, I really need to take care of my majanos. They're cuter than aiptasia, but a pain all the same.

L

Most reactions

Back