Tyler's 29Gal. Tank Project!

Sounds like you have a lot of excess nutrients/phosphates (makes algae) and really tiny food particles floating around (makes filter feeders). So, the place to start for explanations is to look for anything that may have caused a nutrient spike recently even if it didn't show up on test kits because of being consumed by the two things that are blooming.

It has been this way since the tank was murdered by a drunken friend on new years eve. All of the fish died. I did end up draining the tank, rinsing all live rock and placing it all back in and filling the tank back up. I have done two water changes since... I will do another this week. I know the light provides a lot, but I am now having to order a good glass scraper to clean the glass! something I never had to do before. Salinity at 1.025..

If levels balance out id like to get a new cleaner shrimp next month. I hate starting over =( sadness I tell you. Duncan still happy =) growing that new head, EXCITING!

OH EDIT: the new light does allow dust to fall into the tank... Do you think this may be affecting the tank much? My house is not super dusty, but I know some does get into the tank...

-Tyler

Doh - had forgotten which journal had that event, sorry. Hmmmm...the algae is a norm for recently upset systems, but the sponges are still unusual since they can't just soak up the usual waste products from a new or unstable system. Occurs to me now though that it could be you've got a small free-floating microbial bloom of sorts (phyto, rotifers, etc.) going on too and the sponges are feeding on that. Have you tested the water going in to make sure it's not adding any sort of nitrates/phosphates to contribute to the algae issue? If the water in is fine, then I would assume both unusual blooms will just be temporary. Of course, that doesn't mean you'll want to just wait out the algae buildup on the glass since it's always easiest to clean off as a light dusting.

I will test it today. I still have some that I have not used. If it is bad there is another LFS that does water as well that I originally was getting water from... This LFS is closer and the guys are much cooler so I do hope their water is good.

-Tyler

Loved browsing through your topic,
learning stuff as i went along.

Terrible what happened to your beautiful tank. I hope one day you can find the culprit, chop him to pieces and feed him to your new tank inhabitants.

Glad to see stuff is slowly rebounding. Everything still going ok?

Loved browsing through your topic,
learning stuff as i went along.

Terrible what happened to your beautiful tank. I hope one day you can find the culprit, chop him to pieces and feed him to your new tank inhabitants.

Glad to see stuff is slowly rebounding. Everything still going ok?

Well thank you very much! I learn a lot with other journals as well. It is very fun.

We are hoping to get our second "first shrimp" this weekend! Along with several new snails as we only have 1 cerith, 1 turbo, and 4 astreas. Depending on water params of course. Duncan now growing 3 new heads!!! Very small but you can see the fingers starting to form. Pics will come this weekend or first of next week.

-Tyler

What kind of shrimp are you gonna get?

L

Was going to get a scarlet/skunk/cleaner shrimp. All the same I guess. Unless there are other nice neat ones that will be compatible with a pistol shrimp/goby combo!?
-Tyler

I got a fire shrimp. He's not bothering my watchman/pistol pair. They're more reclusive than skunks though. I like him.

My skunk is a bit of a pain. Steals food from my sun corals.

Changed my water flow... Duncan is happier with more flow... was shriveling up at night and now he stays open and soft pretty looking more.

Stats looking good.

I bought my second Turbo Snail, and a Red Banded Trochus =) very pretty. Black body with caramel underside. Shell is cool! Acclimated them in last night over 1.5 hours and are doing great.

I am thinking I get my shrimp in about two weeks.

-Tyler

Anyone know what the heck this is??? I have two of them in my tank.. They are small, and travel around the glass.

823.jpg

-Tyler

Terebellid worm, aka spaghetti worm. Normally they stay in the sand or rock and filter feed.

Most reactions

Back