This forum

Well all 5 of my bettas live in 1/2 gallon tanks. I would love to get nice big tanks for all of them and decorate them but i don't have the money or the space to update their tanks.

All my bettas seem happy, they have bubble nests, no disease or fin rot. my oldest betta i've had for 2 years, and he was a big sucker when i got him too. So i don't think i'm a bad betta keeper, definately not the best but i don't think my bettas are suffering.

that's just my 2 cents :p

i see your point seahorse, but there are many vital differences between tetras and bettas. a betta is typically considered a 3" fish, no? ok, lets compare the needs of 1 betta to 3 cardinals:

the betta
  • breathes air
  • has been "domesticated" for several centuries; most current species are decended in some part from the hardiest bettas over the last 500 years
  • can withstand frequent high percentage water changes (thanks to the above)
  • is typically territorial and a loner
  • is capable of recognizing its owner and even of environmental play
3 cardinals (other type of small tetra)
  • rely on oxygen exchange at the water's surface to survive
  • have only been domesticated since the 1900s at most; the vast majority are still wild-caught and thus unadapted to tank-life
  • cannot handle frequent high percentage water changes
  • is sociable and really should be kept in much larger groups
  • is easily startled and exhibits little interest beyond food, swimming, and egglaying.
to keep 3 small tetras in a 1 gallon would be abusive whereas keeping a betta in an equivalent tank is only less than ideal. to keep 3 tetras in an unfiltered, unaerated bowl would be a death sentence. it would be equally deadly to keep 3 unknown gender bettas in a well-filtered 10g aquarium. as always, its a matter of time.

the common betta splendens is a uniquely developed creature, to its credit or its detriment. it is in a sense an oddball in that it can be well-kept in conditions suited to no other fish. there is a different set of standards because it is a completely different kind of fish! look at it this way: keeping a 3" betta in a lushly planted, appropriately-filtered 5 gallon species tank is wonderful. keeping a 3" puffer alone in that same tank? dangerous and even cruel. every species is unique and has its own requirements. to apply the needs of a single fish to the thousands of fishes is to invite disaster.

All I can say is that I have no problem with temporary tanks as long as they are really and truly temporary, but what often happens is that people never get around to upgrading. I do have a problem with someone who keeps their bettas in 1/2 gallon bowls with no intention of upgrading (this doesn't apply to breeders housing juvies, btw, because those are going to be sold off to their permanent homes). I'm sorry if I offend anyone by saying that, but it's the truth. I think that 1 gallon is the absolute minimum a betta should be kept in long term. Many of my bettas are in 1 gallons, but I'm planning to upgrade those even because their tanks seem small... I just bought a new 2.5 gallon bowfront yesterday as a matter of fact.
BettaMomma, I think you are a great example of someone who makes good use of smaller tanks as temporary homes. I think you're wonderful for saving bettas like you do, and I think 1/2 gallon bowls are great temporary homes for them until you upgrade, as I know you will :). It's people who don't intent to upgrade at all that bother me.
I mean hey, my oscar used to be in a 29 gallon when he was younger and I got a little heat for that, but I always knew I'd upgrade him and now he's happily in his 80 gallon.

i have Buddy in his bowl i cant upgrade they cost too much ,too much space would bug him hed bump into much,too hard to clean for one blind betta. he may be a larger betta but he loves his home he has ,it may be girly but he loves it.

BettaMomma said:
The problem with that again though is that nobody would ever be able to agree upon what the smallest tank size for fish X is.

Ya know?
Great in theory, though!
Your right, But it couldn't be that hard. If I was truely working with this with the gov'ment I'd make it alteast a gallon. Then people wouldn't need 'temperary tanks'

If they can't afford something bigger, then maybe they just shouldn't buy a betta. Plus, it wouldn't be that big of a deal, because since theres no other options, pet store (and walmart) would lower their prices for 1 gallons. Also, Like I have seen many epople do, they could get them even cheaper at Michaels or somthing.

All I can say is that I have no problem with temporary tanks as long as they are really and truly temporary, but what often happens is that people never get around to upgrading
Yes, but I know many people that would say temperary, but then never get around to actully doing it.

50 said:
i have Buddy in his bowl i cant upgrade they cost too much ,too much space would bug him hed bump into much,too hard to clean for one blind betta. he may be a larger betta but he loves his home he has ,it may be girly but he loves it.
Well ok yeah, I can understand a slightly smaller tank for "special needs" bettas if that's what makes life easier for them, but in general I think 1 gallon is the absolute minimum for a long-term home.

I think the main reason a 1g is ok for a betta and not many other fish is because they really don't need the space. That may not sound right to a lot of people, but I have bettas in everything from a 1g to a 10g. This is what I have observed. All of my bettas stay in pretty much the same spot. They do swim around, but even the boys in the divided 10g stick to a small portion of the tank. The bottom 1/4 of the tank rarely if ever is used by them. I don't have any other fish in there with them, and I tell you that tank looks empty. Even the boys in the 1g tanks don't use the entire tank all the time.

For the record my bettas are healthy, active, happy and love where they live. As long as a fish is happy it doesn't matter the tank size IMO. A tetra would not be happy in a 1g bowl, therefore they shouldn't be kept there. Bettas are happy in a 1g, and therefore I see no problem in keeping them in a tank that small.

This is true, fish enthusiast. 3 of my bettas have their own 10 gallon tanks, and they generally atay in the same spot. Every once in a while they get energy bursts and swim all around, in and out of their decos, or go to the bottom to rest. But they really do sit and chill a lot. I had neons, and I know they NEVER held still, unless they were sleeping, or dead. So in a sense neons need space more than bettas. And a lot of people say, bettas perk up in more water. This is true, but not as much as like, a danio.

The reason Bettas are given the "ok" to live in smaller areas alot of the time is because they can live alone. Most other fish require 2-6 of the same fish in a group. You can't have 6 of anything in less then 10 gallons. (and because Goldfish get so big and produce so much waste..they don't even compare in this arguement..that's just assinine to even try)

So that is why it is more readily acceptable to temporarily house a betta in a 1/2 gallon bowl. because a single fish can withstand a smaller environment then a school can.

And what a pompus statement..that if they can't afford more then a 1/2 gallon for temporary housing that they just shouldn't be buying bettas.

Yes, let's just leave them all to rot in their 4-8oz cups..as opposed to waiting for a new home while in a 1/2 gallon. :rolleyes: please Do you think they all live in 10 gallons while they are at a breeder? I'd think not..they wouldn't be able to house 500 fish if they were all in 10 gallons..or even 1 gallons. ANd I'd have to imagine breeders dont' clear out 200 fish in short order..it takes time to adopt/sell out your stock. So they have to live "temporarily" somewhere and in something.

How freakin rude...for someone to condem and criticize others for something that "they" believe to be wrong. Just because you think it's wrong..doesn't make it wrong...so I think that is more then "just an opinion"..this has now become a judgement of others..and I think you should keep that to yourself...and not be publicly criticizing/judging others for what you, as individuals, don't agree with.

I think you need to keep the criticism to points that have valid, proven statistics behind them..instead of ones that are based on "well because I do or don't think...".

And why would stores lower their prices just because the "government" says they can't sell anything under 1 gallon..they aren't going to lower anything that they are making money on..just so YOU can be happy and save money. You've got to be kidding me. They'd prolly raise the price..knowing that you wouldn't have any other options at that point. And besides that..you can go to a craft store and buy any size bowl you want..are they going to stop making those too? Just in case a fishkeeper might try to buy one and use it? How about jars...better make all of those gallon size too.

If you start turning to the government to dictate things this small..as to what you can and can't do or have...the next step is going to be what size engine has to be in your car, how many children you can have, what ISP you can or can't use, ect. I don't think you want to open that can of worms IMO.

This argument is very illogical, callous, and unfounded.

OMG lol i cant believe u guys r still arguing....i read pages 1, 2 and 3 and then skipped to the last post on page 5 to see that nuttin changed....ppl were saying the same exact things lolol its funny im not saying anything about anything, i plead the 5th, hoping to avoid persecution from some1 and hoping to not get this started again....haha i just signed up on this a few days ago and i feel like ive known u forrever....funny lol cya everybody....read my post on ADHD

yea after i signed up for like 2 days... i felt i had been here forever... but i havent and people are mean because of it!

This argument is very illogical, callous, and unfounded.
Yes. I tried to stop it on the third page but.........

I think this is the biggest thread I've created....I can't remember.... :D

Congrats on your first big one, Ethos! lol

Just quickly in closing - big agencies really don't care much about things like fish. I've already tried that route, and many other routes. I've many phone calls to several:
Humane Societies
Animal Control Offices
SCPA Offices
Rescue Shelters
Animal Alliances of the Midwest
WalMarts, PetCos and PetSmarts
LFS's
News Channels
Newspapers
Local Government Agencies
I tried to make a few contacts at the Capitol Building here in town (no one ever called me back)
and I have EVEN resorted to calling the police on a few places that were out of control.

Sadly, after ALL the contacts I've made, I have come to the conclusion that most people just don't really give a crap about fish the way we do. And I can almost promise you that it's not ever going to change. And it certainly isn't ever going to be something that is on the number one priority list of any legislation in this country.

HOWEVER...
As disheartening as it may sound, after talking to ALL of these people, it's just going to be something we're going to have to keep on and keep on and KEEP ON until they get so blasted sick and tired of us that they decide to do something to get them off our backs.

Take PetSmart, for example... I know after talking to several managers of various stores and a couple of district managers and ALSO a customer service rep at the head office, I know that the reason they are making the change over to betta barracks is because of the complaints they received on their cups. HOORAY for each and every single person who complained about it.

I also do know that, after speaking with the soman from the SPCA in Texas that there is legislation that is creepingly making its way through the channels about how stores treat their fish. However, I think it's way on the back burner and is addressed when things like war, poverty and unemployment have all been discussed.

So I would have to say to EVERY single person who has read this far...
if you think you are taking great care of your fish, please give youself a hug. You deserve it, because chances are you ARE taking good care of it. AND... if your fish's fins were long enough, she/he'd give you a hug too. :wub:

Most reactions

Back