This forum

Looking from a survival aspect, most betta fish live their natural life spans of 3-4 years in 1 gal bowls whereas betta fish living in cups do not. So, it isn't considered cruel if the fish's owner doesn't want to upgrade their fish's home from an "apartment" to a "house." :)

I'm not critisizing anyone.
Yes, bettas do much better in bigger housing. From their point of veiw, they can be comfertable.
I saw its still not fair to keep a betta in a 'temporary' home because its just not enough space. Maybe for a few hours, but nothing longer than that.

Just retracted my statements.

That's the last time I'm ever going to post on tank size in this forum.

I think everyone knows how I feel about it, so enuf said.

Indeed, bettamom. As always, you are right.

I have also seen a betta in a 10 gallon tank, which was horribly scuzzy and the betta got fed minamal food, and he was sick. Now that is an abused betta. Even though he was in a big house.

I think tank size is just one aspect of betta care. There is so much more to consider. Water cleanliness is WAY more important than tank size.

Explane what?
I see your right as we all have different oppinions to what is suitable.
I say that you shhouldn't keep a betta in a 'temporary home' rather, its permanent home.
But this topic is never going to end, so I'm going to bed, good night all.

*sings* This is the thread that doesn't eeenndd yes it goes on and on my friiieennd some people started posting it not knowing what it was, and we'll continue posting it just because.... this is the thread that doesn't eeennnndd yes it goes on and on my friieennnd.......! :rofl:

Betta keeping is in the eye of the beholder, if the fish is happy and healthy, so what :)

IMO if your fish stays happy, healthy and alive, you are keeping the fish correctly. Don't fix what isn't broken after all. But I do think that living in something less than a half gallon for too long can be hard on the fish, because of all the water changes you'd need. But if thats what you need to keep it in for a while to keep it healthy, so be it.

So, what you're saying is....if someone doesn't have atleast a 1 gallon tank ready and set up for a betta..then they shouldn't bring a betta home...even one that has been sentanced to one of those retched little cups?

So, if they don't have the "proper" setup...what they should do is let the betta stay at the store, rotting away in about a cup full of water..as opposed to bringing it home, keeping it in a 1/2 gallon jar, with daily water changes, until they can afford or find a suitable tank for the betta?

:unsure: -_- emmmmm...I don't see that happening for 1, and for 2 I don't think it's wrong to do that. As long as the fish is being cared for (fed and water changed to keep him healthy) I don't see the problem.

I'm not saying keep the fish there indefinately..but a week or 2 or even a month isn't going to kill it...unlike a dirty cup..that very well might.

I have a female betta in a 1/2 gallon hospital bowl so I can treat her for columnaris... I must be a horrible person for putting her in temporary housing :sad:
J/K, of course

As always, SRC is a voice of reason :D

SRC said:
So, what you're saying is....if someone doesn't have atleast a 1 gallon tank ready and set up for a betta..then they shouldn't bring a betta home...even one that has been sentanced to one of those retched little cups?

So, if they don't have the "proper" setup...what they should do is let the betta stay at the store, rotting away in about a cup full of water..as opposed to bringing it home, keeping it in a 1/2 gallon jar, with daily water changes, until they can afford or find a suitable tank for the betta?

:unsure: -_- emmmmm...I don't see that happening for 1, and for 2 I don't think it's wrong to do that. As long as the fish is being cared for (fed and water changed to keep him healthy) I don't see the problem.

I'm not saying keep the fish there indefinately..but a week or 2 or even a month isn't going to kill it...unlike a dirty cup..that very well might.
I don't know if that was what he was saying at all? :dunno:

I still agree with him that a half gallon is not going to do long term.

Temporarily, fantastic. But come on, go to a thrift store or something :rolleyes: I can get one gallon jars there for 10 cents a piece. There is no excuse.

I think rescuing is fantastic, and I do it myself. And sometimes they are temporarily medicated in half gallon bowls. But I would never dream of keeping it in there forever. Let it stretch its fins :nod:

Most reactions

Back