This forum

Ethos

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
I think this forum is the only forum where if you 'abuse' your bettas(Keep them in less than sutible bowls) , you can get aproval by saying you do frquent water changes.
Just an observation :dunno:

Edit: This was not at all pointed at anyone! ;)

Technically, they can do quite well in warm, clean water with a plant :) I don't prefer anything under 2.5 gallons, nor would I use it, however a 1.5 gallon with someone who knows what they are doing, is better than a cup where every second that passes is essentially a count down to finrot etc.

What do you consider too small?

When I get my Operation Rescue Bettas :flex: in order, I am going to have a large quantity 1.5 gallon bowls. Knowing they will be well taken care of, I think they would be very well off.

I consider a half gallon abusive, a gallon the VERY absolute minimum, and a 2.5 gallon the most preferable.

Technically, they can live in a qurt of water, in a little cup.

But I agree. They shouldn't be in a resedence of anything under a gallon.

I know I shouldn't be talking, because I keep 3 gouramis in a 10G, but still.
(I'm 100% sure I'm moveing them to a 29G in augest.)

it is not abusing your fish if they are in 1g or more. I do water changes every3 days , give my fish frozen bloodworms every 3 days and feed them 2 a day. I make sure they are confortable and are all healthy and active. 3 of them are in 1g glass bowls. 1 is in a 1 1/2 gallon glass bowl and two are in 1/2g tanks because they are still young within the next moth they will get 1g. They seem to all be doing great so how is that abusing fish?

Sorry Ethos, but I'm afraid I haven't seen an example of what you're talking about. I've seen threads where people were told their small tanks were okay as temporary housing as long as they kept up with water changes, but not as a permanent solution.

Some people say it temporary, but how in what time frame is temperary? A month? A year? And Taco, I wasn't directing this to you. It seems you do well.

Hi Ethos,
I keep some of my bettas in 1/2 tanks with a plant. I dont see why thats considered abuse. IMO its better than them living in a tiny cup. Thats just my opinion though :)

Mariah, I think maybe that's part of what Ethos is getting at... people are excusing keeping bettas in smaller containers by saying they do frequent water changes or "it's better than a cup". This is not a personal attack, I swear, but I do think that the "better than a cup" mindset is just a way of excusing conditions which are less than ideal.

Thank-You.
That is the point I was trying to get at.
Hats off to Synirr. :thumbs: :dunno:

I see it both ways. In one aspect, literally, it IS better than a cup. And if they can assure me they do frequent water changes, I don't see how it constitutes as abuse. Abuse to me is not overstocking, but a fish that lives in dirty water, gets bad food, and is left untreated if it has a disease. Even if something is less than ideal, it isn't really abuse IMO. Right now, my poor hamster is in a rubbermaid bin with a lid made out of an old screen door. That is definitely less than ideal, but I'm not ABUSING my hamster. Her environment is clean, she is provided with sufficient food and water, and she has access to exercise. See my point? I totally agree with what you are saying though, people should keep their bettas in a big enough container, and what they should be saying now is, "it's better than a half gallon"

Yes. IMO, however, you should always try to keep somthing in their permanent home.
You wouldn't buy a full grown Great Dane and put him in a tiny little 400sq. appartment and say "I'll move him to a bigger house once I can move."
Its the same with fish.
My dog example above isn't logical. Nor is keeping a betta in a small tank and just expect you'll move them later.

Well, the great dane example is a bit different. You can take dogs out on walks, and they CAN stay in that little space temporarily. Just like when you crate a dog or cat.

And right now I understand temporary homes. My newest addition, Skittles, is in a temporary home until I can get his permanant one up and running. In this case, it WAS better than leaving him in the cup from the lfs.

Right. Fish can't jump out of their bowls and go for a walk. Fish stay in the aqurium. So it should be big enough mto sustain them for a while. Think of it backwards.
You're in a tiny winny card board biox at a pet store.
You get bought and put in a clean box with good air and your not sitting in your own....excraments. You still cant stand up and walk around, and after a while your tissue will start to rot. after a while you just cant move. then you die.
fish should never be in something that they cant move around to a new place in the tank easily. Or even possibly.

I figure temporary tanks are fine and dandy, if they are truely temporary. I mean, I hate being cramped in a car or an airplane for hours on end, but it's a temporary situation. But I know for a fact that if I were in a little box, and could hardly move, and then was put into a bigger box where I could walk around a bit, and I wasn't sitting in my own crap because someone cleaned it out enough, that would be so much better. Still I agree that anything would be happier and thrive better the bigger quarters it got.

:) The lowest I got is a gallon, and a gallon is fine, if upkept properly etc.. my guys are quite happy in their one gallons, and so is the one in my 2 gallon, and the 5 in their 3-4 gallon, and the 4 in their divided 10 gallons (5 gallons each) I have a variety when it comes to housing my guys, and quite frankly, I see no difference in activity and bubble nesting in any one of them :) but below a gallon should be for quarantine, or very temp. housing.

Most reactions

Back