Tank Busters

LoachLover

Snails Beware
Reaction score
I'm not sure about some of you guys but almost every time I go to my LFS I hear people talking about putting like a iridescent shark in a 20 gallon tank for a kid or something like that, and then I have to go over there and advise them not to do that. So here is a list of some of the VERY COMMAN "Tank Busters" that are sold. I'm not sure if there is another topic like this or not, but I figured I'd might as well make it.

Clown loach
Pacu
Bala shark
Silver dollars
Arrowana
Common pleco
Oscar
Clown knifefish
Iridescent shark
Tinfoil barb
Comman Gold Fish

Out of the ones listed above the Silver Dollars are the smallest sometimes getting 8". Most of the ones listed above get AT LEAST a 12 inches long and the Arrowana can get 48" and iridescent shark reaching 38"

Please add to the list some of the other species, I know there are many more. And would a mod please pin this, I think it would be wise to keep it in veiw. :)

Black Shark - 20"
If you count Silver Dollars, I suppose Kissing Gouramies should also be included at a max. size of 8".
Giant Gouramies (OSPHRONEMUS sp. NOT colisa sp.) are also often sold at a smaller size as good community fish. They get to 24".

FrAnK3333 said:
Gold Fish, then can get to 8 inches and peole dont know this.
Yeah that's definately true, always forget the obvious :lol:

It's a good idea but , Really that list could go on and on if you include fish that start out at around 8 " , and many more cichlids would be inclueded as well .

What it comes down to is, people should do their homework before they bring a fish home , you know to make sure they can properly care for it .

You will find many of the Forum members have a fondness for many these tank busters .

lucky62 said:
It's a good idea but , Really that list could go on and on if you include fish that start out at around 8 " , and many more cichlids would be inclueded as well .

What it comes down to is, people should do their homework before they bring a fish home , you know to make sure they can properly care for it .

You will find many of the Forum members have a fondness for many these tank busters .
Never said you can't like some of the tank busters, I love Clown Loaches myself. And this list is more for the comman species that are almost always being sold.

corykitty516 said:
FrAnK3333 said:
Gold Fish, then can get to 8 inches and peole dont know this.
Actually they can get much larger with common ones reaching 12"-24"
This is true, I have one 12 inches long in a pond outside. B)

You think 12 inches for a goldfish is big?

This one is a koi, but close enough. He's 20 years old, and lives at an indoor pond in my LFS.

nov9004.jpg

I swear, this thing is 2.5 feet long. I measured once.

What about angel fish? I'd love to have one or three! but I know I can't because they get too big for my size tank.

littlefishie said:
You think 12 inches for a goldfish is big?

This one is a koi, but close enough. He's 20 years old, and lives at an indoor pond in my LFS.

nov9004.jpg

I swear, this thing is 2.5 feet long. I measured once.
Woah, that's awesome B)

purple_drazi said:
What about angel fish? I'd love to have one or three! but I know I can't because they get too big for my size tank.
Nah, angelfish aren't "tank busters" they don't get THAT big.

You need a tank at LEAST 18 inches high to keep angel fish.

richardpereira said:
You need a tank at LEAST 18 inches high to keep angel fish.
Yes, but it's still not a Tank Buster IMO

Most reactions

Back