Tank Busters

My friend was telling my shovel nose catfish actually are knowen to smash into the glass and brake it, he did have a pair in his 85 gallon so I beleive him.

fufanu360 said:
or that shows you how many people have big tanks and like big fish, every one is always so negative about people buying big fish, when they no nothing about the tank the have/ will have
Yeah, but how much are you willing to bet that the majority of those people buying pacus actually have big enough tanks? That's my point.

Well... what's the biggest size tank each of you have? What's the biggest-growing fish you own? Think about it...

FrAnK3333 said:
My friend was telling my shovel nose catfish actually are knowen to smash into the glass and brake it, he did have a pair in his 85 gallon so I beleive him.
I'm not surprised thats a tiny tank for 2 of them.

I have 1 in my 185 gallon that I will have to remove in a few months.

So the Tiger Shovel Nose catfish can be added to the list reaching 4ft. A guy came into my work saying he needed to get rid of a cat and brought that in after a shop down the road sold it to him as a good small community fish. It's now in my tank eating 3-4 lancefish a night.

I don't think the Sailfin plec/red gibbicep has been mentioned yet getting to around 18"

I think some of the eels can be included, mainly tyre track and fire eel.

and of course black ghost knife fish, although very interesting get to 18" plus.

Blue lobsters are commonly sold to people not knowing they will get to 12"

paul_v_biker said:
FrAnK3333 said:
I'm not surprised thats a tiny tank for 2 of them.

I have 1 in my 185 gallon that I will have to remove in a few months.
Not if they're limas it's not! a Lima will reach around 18" so can be considered a tankbuster; but for someone like you Paul or me who has a tank that can accomodate them then they're OK. Very few people have the massive tanks neccessary to house a full grown Tiger Shovel or Red Tail Cat as these fish need tanks more into the 1000g territory!!!

Sirminion, I'm actually suprised no one has mentioned those *eeeviiill* tank. My mum and dad tryed to get me to buy one, although that was before i knew how mean they were. Speaking of goldfish, the Pets At Home website says one goldfish will be fine in a 4.5 LITRE tank. :( Its so sad :( Although maybe in the future I might get one for a betta... a £5 tank is quite a good price, considering over in Sunny Happy UK land you can expect to pay £1 a litre at the least. Oh, no one's mentioned Silver Sharks. They have those a lot.

Oh yeh, had forgotten the Limas but i would still consider a 85gallon too small for them especially if it's US gallons. I'ved still got to get me some of them!!

It's a shame the TSN grows so big there so beutiful, thats why i decided to have 1 for a short time!!

Bala sharks where mentioned in the first few pages.

And it has to be mentioned people that buy Koi for tanks :angry: and can be counted as pond busters as most people will buy them not knowing the size they could reach, we have a Chagoi at work which is 3ft. Grass carp are another pond buster reaching 3ft aswell and all types of sturgeon reaching atleast 3ft.

My friend ended up giving up the shovelnose catfish. He wanted something more agressive.

FrAnK3333 said:
My friend ended up giving up the shovelnose catfish. He wanted something more agressive.
More aggressive? He should've tried watching it late at night with the lights off!!! You ever seen a shovelnose take down a 5" Bala Shark? Well I caught the aftermath of it, and it wasn't pretty! Poor Bala!
And Paul, 85g would be fine for a pair of Limas!!

hey,

i was jsut wondering whats the largest clown loaches grow and would they be compatible with some barbs and a red tailed shark??

Thanks,
Beggs

clown loach will eventually grow to about 10-12". Yep they should mix well with just about all the barbs and RTS.

Hmmmm 18" fish in a 4ft tank......I suppose that would be minimum aslong as it's 18"+ wide.

Actually, an 85g tank is 5' by 18" by 18", so there's enough room for 2 Limas in there!!!!

18 inch limas are a rare sight, in captivity most will top out at around 12 to 14 inches making tanks of 75g upwards suitable for a pair.

CFC said:
18 inch limas are a rare sight, in captivity most will top out at around 12 to 14 inches making tanks of 75g upwards suitable for a pair.
yeah, mine is 14" and hasn't grown at all in 5 months! :D

Most reactions

Back