Tank Busters

^ Yeah that's true. I was at petco to pick up a couple snails (forget what kind) and this lady was buying a 20 gallon tank and a black ghost knife fish. lol, as soon as I hear something stupid like that I end up listening into the conversation, and I found out it would be her first fish :crazy: . After I heard that, that was the final straw. :fun:
I tried to calmly expalin to her that in the first place the clown knife fish get extremely large, and spread my arms apart to attempt to show her. And then I told her that it's definately not a begginer fish. I helped her get some of the supplies for the tank and told her to set it up and get it to cycle for awhile and to read up on keeping fish. And reccomended her to get something like platies or something for a starter fish. :thumbs:

snowyangel said:
I think your missing alot of cichlids that get over over 8 inches then(like a severum). But as lucky 62 said, the list could go on and on. We also have our new handy Fish Guide link with pictures for help.
Yeah I wasn't putting a lot of the cichlids on because it's a little more obvious, I think :p

Our local 'Pets@Home' store sells 'starter kits' - 5 litre (around 1 gallon) bowls with a small bag of gravel, a little pot of flake, a small net and a tiny bottle of water conditioner....and a coupon for two goldfish.

Two goldfish in five litres. :/

SirMinion said:
Our local 'Pets@Home' store sells 'starter kits' - 5 litre (around 1 gallon) bowls with a small bag of gravel, a little pot of flake, a small net and a tiny bottle of water conditioner....and a coupon for two goldfish.

Man, that's sick :sad:

It's so sad how badly these companies want to sell that they don't care what happens to what they're selling :no:

tekknocolor said:
It's so sad how badly these companies want to sell that they don't care what happens to what they're selling :no:
Amen :-(

they should just give a coupon for 5$ worth of fish or something

the store where i bought my aquarum did that with all the waterhome kits.
I got 7$ worth of guppies with my tank, 2 days later!

yvez9 said:
they should just give a coupon for 5$ worth of fish or something

the store where i bought my aquarum did that with all the waterhome kits.
I got 7$ worth of guppies with my tank, 2 days later!
yeah it should just be for guppies or something :unsure:

tekknocolor said:
Of course they care... they care about repeat sales and know that the fish will either die and be replaced >*kerching!*<
...or the noob fishkeeper will realise the fish need more space and will buy a bigger tank. >*kerching!*<

Eventually the noob fishkeeper may gain enough experiance to realise that the store is amoral & crap and will stop going there, but there's always more noob fishkeepers...

It's a win/win situation for the store.

LoachLover said:
SirMinion said:

Man, that's sick :sad:
now i feel really bad. My first few fish were a comet goldfish( feeder fish) and a fancy ryukin goldfish in a 1 gallon desktop tank with mini filter type thing. They actually lived for 2 years. Then the fancy ate the comet and then he died from lack of food. i ran out and i told my dad i needed more. hes very forgetfull.

I think you guys are all forgeting the common plecostomus/ they can get anywhere from 12" TO 26"! These are the most common sold fish and usally for algae eaters for small tanks such as 10 gallons when they need from 60 to 100 gallon tanks! But a real tank buster is a red tailed cat or a snakehead which actually bust your tank, smashing into the glass and shattering it! :crazy:

My local Walmart goes through about 4 oscars and up to 20 pacus a week, not to mention the bala and iridescent sharks... That tells you something about how many people are buying these fish and don't know squat about them.

Synirr said:
My local Walmart goes through about 4 oscars and up to 20 pacus a week, not to mention the bala and iridescent sharks... That tells you something about how many people are buying these fish and don't know squat about them.
or that shows you how many people have big tanks and like big fish, every one is always so negative about people buying big fish, when they no nothing about the tank the have/ will have

Most reactions

Back