Sophos9 - Planted Tank Journal

Good algae busters include Egeria densa, Brazilian pennywort, rotala rotundifolia, any hygrophila species but especially polysperma, corymbosa and difformis. I don't want to rag on you, but the algae problem could have probably been avoided if you followed this from the beginning. No worries, though, this is a learning process.

You just to get the CO2 back to a stable level, probably 30-35ppm if you can. I can't make any recommendations on cutting back the lighting. It works for some people and it probably wouldn't hurt, but I normally run my lights between 8-10 hours anyways, depending on my system, and I've never had to reduce it further than that.

Good luck to you, algae is yucky. Have no clue why marimo balls are so popular. Just more algae to me.

llj :)

get some anacharis and attach it to a suking cup and then onto the pane glass of tank until ur algae has gone away, im doing it now and so far ...the algae is getting whooped...woot, woot :shout:

Good algae busters include Egeria densa, Brazilian pennywort, rotala rotundifolia, any hygrophila species but especially polysperma, corymbosa and difformis. I don't want to rag on you, but the algae problem could have probably been avoided if you followed this from the beginning. No worries, though, this is a learning process.

You just to get the CO2 back to a stable level, probably 30-35ppm if you can. I can't make any recommendations on cutting back the lighting. It works for some people and it probably wouldn't hurt, but I normally run my lights between 8-10 hours anyways, depending on my system, and I've never had to reduce it further than that.

Good luck to you, algae is yucky. Have no clue why marimo balls are so popular. Just more algae to me.

llj :)

I know, its my first planted tank and you are right, defenatly a learning experience!

Just bought 2 tropica rotala, will get some egeria on the weekend, CO2 is back up to 1 BPS which using the 24hr PH test gives me 30ppm, will throw a couple of water changes n over the next few days

get some anacharis and attach it to a suking cup and then onto the pane glass of tank until ur algae has gone away, im doing it now and so far ...the algae is getting whooped...woot, woot :shout:

Cheers mate, sorting some on the weekend!!

What about some phosphate remover, would that help?

On the funny side, the Otto's, shrimps and even the BN plecs are going mental in it... having a great time!! :p

What phosphate levels do you have? Unless they are dangerously high, then let your plants use them up.

You need 75% coverage of fast growing stems from the word go. I have found Hygrophilia Polysperma and Hydrocotyle Leucocephala to be a couple of beauties for this.

Dave.

Dave, point taken - will introduce more plants

Thanks for all the help...

~T~ is bundling some salvinia minima in with a riccia order (cheers mate :good: ) and I've ordered 2 tropica rotala. The BN plecs seemed to clear loads up last night!

I've cut some of the hygrophila and replanted, conducted a quick (small) water change and have dropped from 75w to 50w of light - CO2 is back up to 1BBS so fingers crossed I'll see some reduction!!

Planted the tropica rotala today, noticed that the tropica hygrophila polysperma was growing really well!

Will post up when all the new additions are planted, I think I'm currently drawing with the algae!

Lastest picture, this is week 3!

The algae war is still raging, have more plants coming on next week. Currently I'm reducing the phot period from 10hrs to 8hrs and depending how next week goes, I may introduce another 4 Otto's

Enjoy the pic!

tank_001.JPG

was a gd thing to cut the lights early , will give u some time to add more plants b4 an algae bloom :crazy:

I had to remove some plants and add more fast growers yestersay , algae sux :crazy:

Ok, not impressed!

Got home again to find the CO2 not working - checked it out and guess what, EMPTY BOTTLE... thats 600g in under a week! Check it out and its leaking from 2 connections!! So out comes the teflon tape and thread lock and I think I've sorted it... what an a$$

Received the Riccia and salvinia minima today from ~T~, will leave this on the surface until the algae problem gets better...

Ordered some Flourish Excel and am planning to hit the tank hard with it... Fingers crossed!

You are one unlucky hombre!

Get your CO2 levels up and as stable as possible as soon as you can.

Dave.

NO MORE ALGAE!!

Can't help feeling this tank is doomed! After reading loads about Flourish Excel I'm pinning a lot of hope on it and these extra stems that should be here this week!

It looks great. :good:

You could also try having a break in the middle of the day for about an hour, where the ligths go off. This can interfere with algae growth and may help prevent it slightly. It is known as a siesta. Migth help...

Cheers,

Mike

Most reactions

Back