snail question

juanveldez

helping big fish eat little fish everyday
Reaction score
okay, I decided that I needed to try some more snails recently due to the fact that I can't really keep anything in my 55 gallon tank since my Jack Dempsey sees everything as food. I went with a ramshorn snail, but he wasn't doing much except hanging out and eating some of my live plants that I really don't care about so I went and got an apple snail(waldo my wife named him and I would really hate to see him go) and for the first couple of days he was all over the tank, but recently he spends most of his time either closed up or floating, is there something that I can feed him or do so that he is more like his old self?

Hi juanveldez :D

I have a golden mystery snail, which, I just read is the same thing as an apple snail. When it is on the glass I press a piece of freeze dried tubiflex worms on it close to him. He seems to get all happy as he moves over and engulfs it. It's surpises me how large a piece it can eat. Perhaps yours will like it too. :)

Hiya,
we have an apple snail.. and I hardly ever see him closed up, nor have I ever seen him float.. so it sounds like your snail is eiither sick.. or without you noticing your fishie is picking on him.. we have just had a beta trying to eat ours incident.. :( so have moved him to a new tank.. our snail really LOVES cucumber , just a nice chunk cut up with the skin removed weighed down with a plant weight or something, I swear hes on that cucumber until its almost all gone! :lol: :wub:

:thumbs:

Starry^

best snail site is applesnail.net check it out for all the answers

my apples's love cucumber and frozen peas. I slice a cucumber with the skin on and freeze the slices. Then just take one out and put in "fish food holder" like a clamp that has a suction cup to adhere to the glass. They come running and fun to watch.

Your snail does not sound dead. BUT you need to be sure they get plenty of food. I also use the Hitari veggie wafers. Good for other fish also.

check out the site it's fantastic

Mike

sounds very possible that he took a trip out of the water, like they often do, then got air in his shell, so he is uncomfortable (the reason for being closed up alot), and floating for the obvious reason.

seeing as how everybody suggested the cucumber thing I went ahead and tried it and I put a thin slice in the sand and then put him right next to it and he even pulled the darn thing out of the sand to eat it he loved it and then when shooting right up the glass and has been there ever since so I think that I may give him a slice every week.

do apple snails eat the same thing as mystery snail (black)

apple and mystery snails will eat the same food.

regarding 1 slice cucumber per week--that may not be enough. I use algae wafers every day for snails and fish and cucumber or frozen peas every other day. Snails are big pigs re food. Most times they die in tanks for "lack" of food. And like all of us on Thanksgiving we sometimes stuff ourselves and then sleep it off. Snails do the same.

spend some time at applesnail.net fantastic site

btw i have 6 snails in my 55 gal tank. Smallest is an inch and largest is about 2.5 inches.

Most reactions

Back