New coloring or concern?

You need to upload it to a video sharing site like YT and post a link to it here.

I suggest that you keep posting on the same thread, this way new readers can have the whole story in one place.

You need to upload it to a video sharing site like YT and post a link to it here.

I suggest that you keep posting on the same thread, this way new readers can have the whole story in one place.
Alrighty

Can you post a video of the fish as of today's condition ?

This could help everyone.
I have made a video for those who want to see the betta’s current conditions ;
This video shows how a day in his life when he is sick, he sits in a corner, swims for a little and hides or goes back to a corner. He tries his best to be active

If a picture worth a thousand words, a video worth a million.

I would really appreciate if Collin and Gary put me back on track if I'm sliding.

Based only on my observation, besides one point, your fish looks in pretty good shape. His body form, general scale appearance, the regions where organs are located shows no problem, the gill mouth and eyes looks beautiful. He does not show any sign of wasting, in fact he's quite a muscular guy.

On the first lapse of the video, your image is quite good, And I would think there is no sign of any excess of slime nor any of possible external infection there is.

Ok, that said, the one beside point is, his fins condition. Any changes since you have him, erosion, splitting ? The streaks in his anal fin, where they there when you got him ? what color exactly are they ?

The absence of any other symptoms drives me toward an ulcer, because a cyst would look like it started externally some way, probably caused by an internal bleeding after hurting himself.

The bleeding caused necrosis of the surrounding tissues and will probably end with a complete lost of the external layer, leaving an open wound. You will know as it will become darker and finish rotten brown before the skin will come off.

Every fish will stop completely any unneeded activity during this period. Because... It hurts as hell... It's also the reason for his swimming problems. Fishes does not spend any energy while they are resting. Even skinny fish can rest for months with very scarce feeding.

There are three things you can do for him in this situation.

1: Super clean water. Like you look like your doing at the moment, since there is no sign of secondary problems.

2: Lower the water level as much as you can without compromising the general tank environment. to save him some effort going to the surface.

3: Watch closely the evolution of his matter. And still continue to offer mini amounts of food during this time

When the ulcer will breakdown, the fish will be left with an open wound, it's crucial that you have pristine water that is relentlessly changed to prevent any pathogen building up in the water.

I treated Dwarf Gouramies often for ulcers and one thing more you can do, is to topically disinfect the wound once it become bare flesh. This way you are insuring both ways the sanity of the wound the time it heals.

Some prefer to use peroxide because it's safer for the fish, But I learned from an old hobbyist that using mercurochrome, while it's a lot more dangerous for the fish at application. Still mean a lot less netting's during the process.

The wound stay clean a lot longer. But with mercurochrome, You must just clean and stain the area, no dripping, any comes in contact with the mouth eyes, gills and the fish dies in few hours. But It put all the chances in favor of healing.

I agree with Colin, and I would treat with a broad-spectrum antibiotic That cloudy, fungus-like patch on the body looks big, and with the loss of appetite, I would use SeaChem KanaPlex.

I would really appreciate if Collin and Gary put me back on track if I'm sliding.

Based only on my observation, besides one point, your fish looks in pretty good shape. His body form, general scale appearance, the regions where organs are located shows no problem, the gill mouth and eyes looks beautiful. He does not show any sign of wasting, in fact he's quite a muscular guy.

On the first lapse of the video, your image is quite good, And I would think there is no sign of any excess of slime nor any of possible external infection there is.

Ok, that said, the one beside point is, his fins condition. Any changes since you have him, erosion, splitting ? The streaks in his anal fin, where they there when you got him ? what color exactly are they ?

The absence of any other symptoms drives me toward an ulcer, because a cyst would look like it started externally some way, probably caused by an internal bleeding after hurting himself.

The bleeding caused necrosis of the surrounding tissues and will probably end with a complete lost of the external layer, leaving an open wound. You will know as it will become darker and finish rotten brown before the skin will come off.

Every fish will stop completely any unneeded activity during this period. Because... It hurts as hell... It's also the reason for his swimming problems. Fishes does not spend any energy while they are resting. Even skinny fish can rest for months with very scarce feeding.

1: Super clean water. Like you look like your doing at the moment, since there is no sign of secondary problems.

2: Lower the water level as much as you can without compromising the general tank environment. to save him some effort going to the surface.

3: Watch closely the evolution of his matter. And still continue to offer mini amounts of food during this time

When the ulcer will breakdown, the fish will be left with an open wound, it's crucial that you have pristine water that is relentlessly changed to prevent any pathogen building up in the water.

I treated Dwarf Gouramies often for ulcers and one thing more you can do, is to topically disinfect the wound once it become bare flesh. This way you are insuring both ways the sanity of the wound the time it heals.

Some prefer to use peroxide because it's safer for the fish, But I learned from an old hobbyist that using mercurochrome, while it's a lot more dangerous for the fish at application. Still mean a lot less netting's during the process.

The wound stay clean a lot longer. But with mercurochrome, You must just clean and stain the area, no dripping, any comes in contact with the mouth eyes, gills and the fish dies in few hours. But It put all the chances in favor of healing.
Hello ,
To answer your questions ;

There has been no changes on his fins since I have had him , his fins look the same as the day I got him. You may notice he has this long fin sticking out on his bottom fins but he has had that since the first day . The original color of fins were white ( pale due to bad condition before getting home ) when I first got him but then developed a rusty red / pink color.

I agree with Colin, and I would treat with a broad-spectrum antibiotic That cloudy, fungus-like patch on the body looks big, and with the loss of appetite, I would use SeaChem KanaPlex.
Is there any store where I could buy these specifically or would I have to buy them online? KanaPlex seems to be online only

I would be cautious. Just cautious. Interestingly, the rectangular plaque you see on the fish is the same shape as the one we get when we catch it.

I had three, before my 6 month antibiotic course.

When I have lost rainbows to tb, the rectangular plaque on the flanks was the giveaway.
I'm far from an expert in fish illness,

But I want to offer my observations... It could bring other members new ideas.

1: Fish TB is very, very rare in Bettas.
2: Fish TB affects principally organs, The location of the sore is not near any.
3: The time frame of the occurrence does not concur with TB.
4: The color of the sore does not align with TB for the moment.
5: The initial redness inside the tail seems to have recessed.
6: The color of your betta could make it harder to see a bacterial or fungal infection.
7: TB would not create the bloody streaks on the back of your fish visible in earlier post.

Confirming the cause would really require inspection by a professional.
Fish tb is so common in fancy Bettas I know industry people who don't like to handle them. The slow moving disease can be accelerated by a weakening of the fish, and I know a number of experienced fishkeepers who wince when they hear of a new aquarist rescuing a bedraggled betta from poor conditions at a store. It may be different with higher end Bettas, but everyday store ones don't get love. I've unpacked shipments where fancy bettas in bags were used as bubble-wrap.
The sores can appear anywhere but on fins- very often on the spine or lymphatic system.
When the sore hasn't broken, it can be beige. I have never seen one on a fish as transparent as this though. It's a great betta colour, but yeah, hard to see well.

Points 5, 6 and especially 7 are ones I agree with strongly. Especially blood streaks. That you don't see. As always when there's a possibility of Myco, I want to be wrong about it.

So again, just be careful. You would need a biopsy at a lab to be certain. Judging from the chunk that was taken from my hand, the fish would die of the diagnostic tool. So you'd know in hindsight, which doesn't help a lot.

It hasn't put a damper on my hobby, as I am not generally as unhealthy as I was when I caught it. I was suffering from exhaustion from a whole series of complicated circumstances. I have antibodies that will ring positive on any tb test, but doubt I'd be so unlucky as to catch it again. Plus I avoid famed fish - my one compromise.

Is there any store where I could buy these specifically or would I have to buy them online? KanaPlex seems to be online only
A good local fish store should carry it. Reef fish stores usually carry it too. I would call around and ask them if they stock it; otherwise, you can order it online. I had a similar but smaller patch on my catfish, and KanaPlex healed it with two doses in 5 days. You could treat with API Fin And Body Cure, if that is easier for you to find.

Attachments

• 20240416_121259 (1).jpg
    20240416_121259 (1).jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
I would be cautious. Just cautious. Interestingly, the rectangular plaque you see on the fish is the same shape as the one we get when we catch it.

I had three, before my 6 month antibiotic course.

When I have lost rainbows to tb, the rectangular plaque on the flanks was the giveaway.

Fish tb is so common in fancy Bettas I know industry people who don't like to handle them. The slow moving disease can be accelerated by a weakening of the fish, and I know a number of experienced fishkeepers who wince when they hear of a new aquarist rescuing a bedraggled betta from poor conditions at a store. It may be different with higher end Bettas, but everyday store ones don't get love. I've unpacked shipments where fancy bettas in bags were used as bubble-wrap.
The sores can appear anywhere but on fins- very often on the spine or lymphatic system.
When the sore hasn't broken, it can be beige. I have never seen one on a fish as transparent as this though. It's a great betta colour, but yeah, hard to see well.

Points 5, 6 and especially 7 are ones I agree with strongly. Especially blood streaks. That you don't see. As always when there's a possibility of Myco, I want to be wrong about it.

So again, just be careful. You would need a biopsy at a lab to be certain. Judging from the chunk that was taken from my hand, the fish would die of the diagnostic tool. So you'd know in hindsight, which doesn't help a lot.

It hasn't put a damper on my hobby, as I am not generally as unhealthy as I was when I caught it. I was suffering from exhaustion from a whole series of complicated circumstances. I have antibodies that will ring positive on any tb test, but doubt I'd be so unlucky as to catch it again. Plus I avoid famed fish - my one compromise.

Thanks, for that illuminating response. I always thought TB was not that common with bettas. The rectangular plaque you are meaning on the fish ? Is it the form of the wound you are talking about ?... Your close encounter with the "thing" is surely a deadpan valid assumption for me.

What made me exclude TB in the first place is the great shape his body still has. Fishes normally loose weigh and get distorted before stopping to eat.

A good local fish store should carry it. Reef fish stores usually carry it too. I would call around and ask them if they stock it; otherwise, you can order it online. I had a similar but smaller patch on my catfish, and KanaPlex healed it with two doses in 5 days. You could treat with API Fin And Body Cure, if that is easier for you to find.
Thank you

should I treat my betta in his tank or in a separate tank ? I will keep on updates for the next few days

should I treat my betta in his tank or in a separate tank ? I will keep on updates for the next few days
I have use the product in the original tank as well as in a QT. Its your preference. A QT would be better. KanaPlex doesnt have an adverse effect on an established biological filter but it good to keep an eye on it.

Dosing in Water​

Remove all invertebrates - these are extremely sensitive to medication. Turn off UV filters, ozone filters, and remove chemical filtration like MatrixCarbon™ and Purigen®. Use 1 measure (included) per every 20 L (5 gallons). Repeat this dose every 48 hours to a maximum of 3 doses. In cases of severe infections, it is possible to carry out two rounds of treatment back-to-back. However, this should only be done if fish show no signs of stress at the end of the first round.

UPDATE : good morning everyone,

Today I am planning on putting my betta in a quarantine tank if possible just to keep a close eye on him. Today I will buy him the things that everyone recommended for him.

- my betta has been hiding this whole morning but when he came out. His bottom fins were SPLIT and are in very terrible condition.Note that nothing in my tank is sharp and all my betta has done was rest, so I want to know if the infection might have caused this. This seems to get worse. I will provide a video since everyone found it extremely helpful. I will keep everyone updated willing to help out. Thanks to everyone who have helped me out.

my fish is now starting to show changes in its fins , yesterday they were fine but today they are worse.

Most reactions

Back